Martial Arts

Guest RET.SCPO.Mystical=US=

Anyone here into martial arts? Practice it yourself or maybe relatives/friends? Reason why I ask is because I want to practice martial arts myself and I've got my eye on kickboxing but any kind of info is more than welcome. I'm not going to rush into this, I have thought a lot about it for the past few months.

Guest RET.MAJ.Navy=US=
I took some karate classes back in college, and still do some of the MCMAP stuff now when I am stationed with Marines (MCMAP = Marine Corps Martial Arts Program). We can chat when I catch you online, but the biggest thing to ask yourself is what are you looking to get out of it? By that I mean, more self confidence, better conditioning, you want to enter tournaments, want to be able to defend yourself on the streets, etc. It can affect which martial arts program might work best for you.

Guest Conman51
i did it a LOOONNGG time ago...like 5th grade..i did karate got to yellow belt.;.ten my instructor left..and i quit...i wanna get back into it tho

Guest RET.Realgrunt=US=
I studied Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido for 12 years. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to get in shape mentally and physically.

Guest Marky
[quote='SPC.Conman51=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=30519#post30519']i did it a LOOONNGG time ago...like 5th grade..i did karate got to yellow belt.;.ten my instructor left..and i quit...i wanna get back into it tho[/QUOTE] me too, i got a yellow belt too :D i walked past the place last night on my walk. walked 4 miles.

Guest RET.Norton=US=
I studied Tae Kwon Do, I was a Junior Instructor and I reached 2nd Degree Black Belt. Tae Kwon Do, is great for building your mental state. While in Tae Kwon Do, I also studied a bit of Ju Jitsu and Krav Maga

Guest SnipeLock
what would be good for self defence on the street like i already know how to fight, but i kinda want to have more form then luck to my swings :P

Guest RET.Norton=US=
Depends, do you just wanna fight with your hands, or use your whole body? Hands only-- KickBoxing is good for it, Boxing in general Overall stuff-- Tae Kwon Do uses your hands and feet. Ground Defense-- Jiu Jitsu uses submissions from the ground

Guest Creeper
Much as SGM Norton already said (someone knows Gracie :) )... using an opponents energy to your advantage. Throws and locks; much like grappling, only more violent. Primarily a self-defensive style art, use this is to subdue your oppenent. Most anyone will attest it is quite difficult to continue an engagement when you can't breathe and certain joints are no longer functioning properly. Depending on the type of engagement, and as you are complete control, the outcome is entirely dependent upon the situation. EX: a "street fight", you simply disable the opponent. No harm, no foul, no one is permanently injured. If you are challenged with a weapon, you may choose to go a bit further ;) Furthermore; when entertwined with a more "offensive" style, it can be a very effective combination.

Guest RET.SSG.Trajan=US=
Nice I got my first degree in Tae Kwon Do in december 2007. Tae kwon do is pretty awesome!

Guest RET.Norton=US=
Jiu Jitsu and Tae Kwon Do, Teach the Vascular Restraint, The common name for those UFC junkies is the Rear Naked Choke. Where one arm goes under the neck and the other goes behind the head and locks, and you flex and pull back to where they go out. Like Creeper was saying simply be using there force against them will defeat them, If they throw all there weight into a punch, either side step it and pop em in the back of the head , or Follow there arm, take it and go into either a triangle choke which is fairly diffacult, or take there back and go into different submissions. MMA is awesome to learn, even better to use on the streets, however i have not gotten into a fight since earning my degree.

Guest 3lmo
i started with tai chi when i was 6 moved over to kung fu did that for 6 years ( brown belt ) and had some personal hand to hand combat training from a guy that trains seals in hand to hand combat...so a mix of jiu jitsu kung fu tae kwon do and usewhateveryoucanfind i can now disarm you if u point either a knife at me or a gun :P but its pretty awesome to know gives you pride and a somewhat more secure feeling when roaming through the city alone after partying and being sorta small of statue like me :P

Guest jujuber
[quote='SGM.Norton=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=30523#post30523']I studied Tae Kwon Do, I was a Junior Instructor and I reached 2nd Degree Black Belt. Tae Kwon Do, is great for building your mental state. While in Tae Kwon Do, I also studied a bit of Ju Jitsu and Krav Maga[/QUOTE] No way man, I got to second degree too. I had to quit though cause I moved.

Guest RET.Norton=US=
I had to stop doing it full time due to an injury to my knee, but i would love to go do competitions again.

Guest RET.Capt.MustangMan94=US=
Ok I've been lucky enough that I've taken many different variations and styles through out the years. My friends got me into it early because of his dad and the competitions he did. The best styles to learn for fitting would be Jujitsu and Muay Thai. Learn both those and you can stand some one up all day and then drop them to the ground and break there arms and legs so fast it will make your head spin. Wanting to try and find a dojo around here that teaches Capoeira. Saw a couple guys at a competition do some sparring and full style. All I can say is wow, I've seen it before on TV and what not but being able to turn a dance into something that has awsome striking stances is amazing :). A couple other ones too learn would be Tai Chi and Bartitsu. It all depends on what you want to do with it and what styles and countries you find facinating. Most people think Karate, Taekwondo, or Jujitsu. Because of TV and the movies. But there are alot of subtypes or variations that I find more useful and intersting. Just do the research of better yet go down to random dojo's and watch a session to get the feel of it.

• 1 month later...
Guest RET.MAJ.Navy=US=
Israeli version, very good stuff. If you send me a request by private email, I can send you the Marine Corps' Version of their Martial Arts instruction manual.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Joel
I have been taking Martial Arts classes for a little over 3 years now, an art called Sho-Dan-Keido It has some tae Kwon do and alot of Shodokan Karate. I also practice Ninjutsu.

Guest BEndERX
Hoyce Gracie Brazilian Ju-Jitsu will put all of you to shame I dont care how good you are I watch alot of Ultimate Fighting and HG BJJ is the most dominant form of martial arts.

Guest BEndERX
[quote='RT.Joel12965=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=35954#post35954']I disagree.[/QUOTE] How so? If BJJ is performed with proper technique it is unstoppable....Striker, Wrestlers, Karate, all that good stuff if you dont know JJ in mixed martial arts your in trouble it is hands down the most dominant form. Not much to disagree with.

Guest BEndERX
Anderson 'The SPider" Silva pretty close to what Bruce Lee could do try to find some of his videos this guy is dangerous. The only possible way to beat a JJ is with pure brute strength and thats if they get lucky or dont get to tired to fight anymore. Im pretty sure Bruce Lee was beaten before he could have been beat again. In another aspect you have to understand that Mixed Martial Arts isnt what it used to be it has risen to a new level and competition is alot stronger and wiser than it used to be in Bruce's day.

BJJ is a nice sport but I watch discovery channel and National Geographic a lot and some guy who has a black belt in ninjitsu just wiped the floor with everyone. BJJ, Kong Fu, Tae Kwondo, Kickboxing, you name it and he just wacked them. Nothing was staged, it were real fights.

Archived