Bulldozer = Ouch

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/amd-launches-fx-bulldozer-desktop-chips-eight-cores-for-245/6855

Now, whether this reflects in real world performance in a multitude of environments is another thing. What isn't up for debate, however, is that it is more expensive than its comparable Intel 2500k. Plus, it's a mandatory mobo upgrade if you're coming from AM3. Yes, there are BIOS tweaks, but AMD does not support Bulldozer on a tweaked AM3 board.

This won't get me off the AMD trail, but it sure is a huge blow when Intel has Ivy Bridge just months away and AMD was putting so much hype around Bulldozer.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
I have to agree. I'm contemplating jumping ship back to Intel because the i5-2500k is so affordable with its performance. (I'm also contemplating because I need a new mobo for Crossfire)

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
I was talking to the guys at GeekBox. They have a i5 2500k overclocked at 5ghz(running stable). Its their experimental comp for the new processors to see how much they can push out of them..

i read some reviews of that article saying that there were a lot of bias involved with how well certain benchmarks run amd compared to intel made hardware. still diapointing though, i upgraded by mobo beginning of septermber for this cpu.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
I was an early i7 adopter and got my i7 920 in Jan 2009, its been a beast ever since. 4 physical cores that are hyper-threaded which gives me 8 core performance. I have had 0 problems with this CPU and I will be happy to upgrade to another Intel chip whenever that may be. I am only disappointed that they went away from the 1366 socket which screws me when it comes to upgrade time. But thats the price you pay for being an early adopter.

Guest D.Whitehurst
Wrong..... lol its not tweaking never even herd of so called tweaking on that...., simple bios update allows some of the AM3 board to support AM3 fx Processors.... all you need is a bios update its not a tweak.. and as far as SUPPORTING IT GOES, that just means they didnt try it... like with games if a ATI Radeon HD 5770 isnt supported that just means they didnt test the game on that card... so theres your update..

Wrong..... lol its not tweaking never even herd of so called tweaking on that...., simple bios update allows some of the AM3 board to support AM3 fx Processors.... all you need is a bios update its not a tweak.. and as far as SUPPORTING IT GOES, that just means they didnt try it... like with games if a ATI Radeon HD 5770 isnt supported that just means they didnt test the game on that card... so theres your update..

Good point. I was operating on slightly outdated information on AMD support. Sure they don't support it directly, but some motherboard manufacturers DO, which is really the important part. My bad :)

dose that mean AM3+ wont support it? I just upgraded to a board that said it would support bulldozer

MAJ, if your motherboard is AM3+ and it says it supports Bulldozer, then it does. If you have any problems, the only thing you should have to do is make sure the BIOS is totally up to date, but I would very much doubt you have to do that.

Guest RET.MG.Qotsa=US=
I have no clue, I have looked and it doesn't say, Its a 970A-ud3 board, revues from users said it did but thats just users. Idk.

Guest D.Whitehurst
yes corect kaoss sorry if i was impossing on ya did not mean that at ALL lol now i read my post "WRONG!!!!" lol sounds mean i apolojize for that but yes NO MATTER WHAT if u have an AM3+ motherboard ill support new FX processors

Archived