2500k vs 2600k

Guest Doubleome

Guest Doubleome

Hey again,

Its tough building a machine, ofc 2600k is better but its quite a big price differnce.

Ill be doing mostly gaming, thinking of frapsing some BF3 game footage.

So basicly its either 2600k or the 2500k and using the money saved to improve slightly on Ram, mobo maybe even SSD.

Ill be overclocking the CPU somewhere in the future so it all comes down to Hyper Threading. My current E8500 doesnt have it, and wouldnt have a clue if HT actually does anything to be worth spending about 40% more.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
The differences between the i5-2500k and the i7-2600k is that the i7 has hyperthreading support and 2MB (8MB total) more of L3 Cache whereas the i5-2500k has no support for hyperthreading and only 6MB L3 cache.

Guest Doubleome

Think this is kind off interesting.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/20

i5 2500k out performing the i7 2600k in some games, dont forget both these CPUs OC pretty much the same, so even the clock speeds on both and I guess the i5 2500k will pull ahead in more then half the games. Guess wait and see untill the beta of Bf3 to see if HT does anything in that game.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
2500k is more than enough for gaming. With the oc you can easily match a 2600k. If you are an epeen overclocker that wants the absolute best bench scores, then yes 2600k will win. At the price point of 180, 2500k is pretty much a no brainer.

• 3 months later...
Guest redpanda

The i5 compared to the i7 is probably a mere 4 frames different, but it doesn't mean that you can't get the i5 OC'd up to match it.

Hyperthreading isn't really used in games at the moment, only in things like encoding and productivity when your CPU needs more lanes to processes information etc.

I would recommend you get the 2500k if you wish to OC in the future, along with spending an additional $20 on a CPU fan. I recommend http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=667&gs_upl=6818l6818l5l7245l1l1l0l0l0l0l132l132l0.1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&q=cpu+cooler&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7747654226722897374&sa=X&ei=qdjLTvGKA6KnsQKC76D8Dg&ved=0CHwQ8gIwAQ

---or something from the Mammoth series. And for the thermal paste, spend good money on it because a good TP (thermal paste) vs a bad one will have a difference of 8-12C on your CPU. For the thermal paste I recommend the Arctic 5 Silver Series Compound. You can get it conductive (though you have the chance of the paste touching some electrical parts which is NOT good) but has the best cooling or non-conductive which is the safest route because it doesn't interfere with electrical components. Also the good thing about Arctic Silver 5 is that they have specific methods tested and proven with their products of the shape and form you want the paste the settle in via their website.

Conclusively I would recommend you get the i5 for GAMING, if you plan on using your rig for anything else productivity wise, then get the i7 and you'll see about a 35% increase in efficiency when you're encoding videos, developing music MIDIs, etc.

Archived