New computer

Guest SoundOfDeath

Guest SoundOfDeath

Because my old computer died on me I am going to be making a new computer.

I'm trying to stay around $1200. What do you guys think of this build?

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 100312SR Video Card with Eyefinity

GEAR HEAD 24x DVD Burner Black SATA Model 24XDVDINT

ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W Power Supply

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Total: $1,223.87

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

I agree i7 is worth it. I bought mine 2+ years ago and the i7 920 is still one of the high end CPU's out there. IMO sound cards are a waste of money unless you have a 7.1 sound system, even then most on board audio can do HD and 7.1 or at least 5.1 sound. I would put that money towards a better CPU.

You need a bigger hard drive. These days its so cheap there isn't any reason to not have a 1TB at least. You can get them for $50 now. If possible a 128 or 256 SSD would be huge for performance and gaming but they are expensive and not worth it on a tight budget. Also getting a SATA III may sound sweet, but that speed far outpaces the actual Read/Write speed of the HDD. That is really only helpful if you have a SSD. Otherwise don't fork out the extra cash for a feature you won't use.

Also I have had 2 bad Gigabyte boards in the past. The first was DOA the second worked for about an hour before it died. I switched to Asus and have been very happy ever since. Video card looks legit if that's what you are going for. I have avoided AMD/ATI cards due to driver issues. NVIDIA drivers are usually much more stable. But for the money that beats the closest NVIDIA card (the GTX 480)

You can see some decent comparisons here

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-gaming-graphics-charts/Gamer-Index,2673.html

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
I wouldn't get the 2600k its unnecessarily overpriced for the tiny performance gain, i'd stick with the 2500k

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
I'm not saying all gigabyte boards are bad I'm just saying i've have bad experiences and I won't be buying them again. And yet I'm saying SATA III HDD isn't worth it. Just stick witha SATA II unless you can get a SSD.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Just stick witha SATA II unless you can get a SSD.

+1

Max xfer speeds on a mechanical drive raid0 I think I read somewhere is around 190Mbps, and the Sata II interface maxxes at 300. Even at raid0 you're nowhere near maxxing your Sata II on mechanical drives. Honestly, a lot of SSD's don't even touch it, but it could be worth the headroom if it becomes a concern.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Some SSD's do come close to the SATA III mark. In fact some pass it. SATA III is max 600 MBit/sec. Some SSD's can hit over that mark.

For my next computer though I will be looking at PCIe SSD's. Since the PCIe interface is one of the fastest connections in your computer you won't ever be bottle necked by the SATA speed.

Something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227661

Guest WarMachine
I'm not sure which SSD's hit over the Sata III mark, but I was just looking at the new Intel 320's that just dropped (thinking about sticking one in my desktop) and they max at 270 MB/s, which is still well below the Sata II transfer rates (SATA II is approximately 3 Gbit/s = 384 MB/s). I put an X25 and took out the optical drive and installed a 750 GB 7200 RPM drive in it's place in my Macbook Pro which really made a huge difference in the performance. I mean, to the point where I can easily say that it's the bar none BEST upgrade to a computer I've ever made. Period. If you want a truly noticeable, real world performance gain, spend the money on an SSD, even if it's only 80 GB and you keep the OS and a few of your main games on it. Then get a 1 TB 7200 for all your data. Well worth the investment IMO.

Personally i would get a OCZ vertex 3 SSD, their the best out at the moment and well worth the cost. Of course you would still run a 500gb or so HDD on the side.

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=

Question..

OCZ vertex 3 SSD supports SATA III...

Will it work with Sata II?

If my MB supports 2 Sata III devices or 6 Sata 2 devices...

and the OCZ vertex 3 is Sata III.. will I need a new Hard drive?

Yes it will work with SATA II but you will only get SATA II speeds. Your better off going with a vertex 2 its cheaper and you won't be loosing any speed.

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=

Thanks

HD are cheap... Decided on Vertex 3 with new hard drive.

That way I will have even more time to play Bfbc ;)

Archived