My Senior Design Project (UPDATE)

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

After a long coding session I am still amp'd up on coffee and I figured it would be a good time to let you guys know what has been taking so much of my time.

As most people know its my last semester in college where I am studying Computer Engineering. I have been working with a group of 3 other students on this project since the start of the fall semester. We had to design a poster for the project that will be hung in one of the CPRE/Comp Sci buildings. From the poster you should get a clear idea of the project. My part has been primarily the Server end of it.

http://i.imgur.com/BWwBVl.jpg

We also have a demo video online. It is a bit dated and the Web Client UI is much cleaner now and the server does a lot more but it gives u a gist of whats going on.

Let me know what you guys think!

Guest Deadon
I'm actually quite impressed with the presentation side of things. So essentially you created a web based GUI in java and you log in via a RADIUS server or some other type of authentication?

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

The web client is programmed in AJAX and PHP actually. We wanted to stick to a clean universal application that can be accessed anywhere (we had the option of just making a native application that would play the videos).

The server is actually a LAMP server I built from parts at work (i work at a university surplus). The server runs as both a media server that serves the videos to the web client as well as the data server that handles all incoming phone connections.

The java is actually all the phone software. The Android SDK is really just a bunch of custom java libraries. They have a plugin for the Eclipse IDE that allows you to test your application in a Android emulator. Its pretty sweet, but all smart phone dev software has that now (iOS has Xcode and WinPhone7 has Visual Studio).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Came across another senior design project today.

http://i.imgur.com/yhKJp.jpg

Head and arms can move, treads work, it has a few vocal lines. Like WAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL-E and other radio quotes he used in the movie. Was pretty sweet. They controlled him wirelessly with a Wiimote

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
Love robotics every since I programmed an automated warehouse system. We had an automated pallet retrieval system. Of course it could be done so much better today, this was done in the early 90s.

Archived