Can't Log into Steam

Guest Impulse

Guest Impulse
Having problems logging into steam. I double click my icon and a file comes up saying it wants me to Save or Run Steam.exe. This has never happened. So I closed it a couple times and try to log in the normal way. This Save or Run option kept coming up so I hit Run. It ran steam and brought me to the login page. When I attempted to login, it says "steam is having trouble connecting to servers". Any help?

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

Updating this entry with a proper fix, give me a few minutes to test it on my end.

***Fix: Per this post

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and delete the file "ClientRegistry.blob"

2. Restart your computer

3. Open Steam as Admin

If you receive errors along the lines of "could not connect to server", rinse and repeat and verify you're running as admin.

Hey dude, had to hop off TS; the wife was waiting so we could watch some TV

To Summarize if someone else picks up on this:

1. Checked the valve registry entries to make sure all file pointers are correct

2. insured no crazy event viewer entries pertaining to some random error going on

3. confirmed no hardware/software changes just before this started

4. checked steam.exe from program files location was not working either

5. confirmed steam.exe is not running in task manager

6. uninstalled 3 windows updates that were d/l and dropped in today and restarted

If uninstalling those Windows updates still didn't work, then the only other thing I can think of is looking up online if there's a way to backup your steam games without actually having Steam running and then uninstalling/reinstalling steam without any antivirus running and as admin. I'm not aware of a backup method off the top of my head, but MAYBE if all else fails you could just try pulling the game directories out of the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common location and storing them somewhere and then trying to pull them back in after reinstalling... that's a long shot though since I'm guessing Steam registers those files somewhere.

Hey Impulse, sorry again for having to cut and run from TS. I was already putting the wife off when I had you restart your system so I couldn't really push it anymore.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, but that stinks you had to do a full re-install... did you have to re-download bc2?

Archived