Intel recalls p67/h67 Sandy Bridge Platform

Guest gamerk2

Guest gamerk2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/the-source-of-intels-cougar-point-sata-bug

Interesting, though its a bit ironic the SATA 3 stuff works fine, but its the older standard thats causing all this grief.

In any case, won't effect me; my rig has 4 SATA 3 ports, so I'm not going to be affected one way or the other. Just shipped an hour ago in fact :D.

Still, for anyone who was planning to build a new system, this pushes Sandy Bridge avalilability back until March-April. For those who already have a Sandy Bridge platform, the easiest recommendation is simply to use the 6GB SATA 3 ports rather then the 3GB SATA 2 ports if at all possible. Its even possible to get a PCI-E card with its own SATA controller and bypass the controller on the motherboard, if one so wishes.

The users who'll most likely see this issue in actual use are people using RAID arrays on the SATA 2 ports. For the majority, I'd say this isn't a dealbreaker, but if you don't have the platform yet, I'd wait for the new spin to arrive in 2-3 months.

Figured I'd post this here, as a lot of people have considered buying a new PC lately...

And I again stress, I'm going to be using the SATA 3 ports, so no, this isn't pushing my much awaited return back any; should be back within a week.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Intel clearly diden't do their testing properly and pushed the engineers for a fast release before the product was fully tested. Not surprising, guys who sit behind desks and fiddle with cash always cause problems for those who are actually doing their jobs.

/me points at dyaval and laughs

And I again stress, I'm going to be using the SATA 3 ports, so no, this isn't pushing my much awaited return back any; should be back within a week.

much awaited return? didnt know you were even gone. lol jk

/ me points at mental and throws my 67 lb computer at his face via trebuchet. im actually having no issues. so far i have 350 gs of stuff on my raid harddrive. and from power up to login is less than 25 seconds.

Guest Rhammstein
Interesting, isn't AMD dropping the Bulldozer and Bobcat chips soon, with AM3+? If so I wonder what impact it could have, if AMD could drop with good supply before Intel gets things full swing again, which would be April. Just a thought, I'm actually holding out on Bulldozer to compare because it looks like the floating point performance may nearly double over the Phenom II chips. I really really like the idea of two cores working in parellel ganging up on one thread, rather than HT using one core to compute two threads. This may be the break AMD needed, and honestly the break we all need, real competition to drive competitive pricing :)

Guest gamerk2
I'm not high on Bulldozer, frankly. I don't see it being competitive. I also don't see AMD getting it out before Intel fixes its issue.

Archived