what to expect.

Guest Dyaval

Can anyone give me a rough outline of what to expect when building a computer? or a youtube link with a video that knows wth they talking about. and isn't from the 80s. if you can id appreciate it.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
I'm sure everyone has their own lists, but this is mine in a few minutes. I'm sure someone can point you to a video. I'd look but I only have a few minutes. However, I CAN give you a short list of the lessons I've learned over the builds I've done. Easiest mistakes to make when you first start learning how to build computers: Don't push down hard on the processor, you can just basically lay it down into the socket before making sure it's secure (not sure about Intel, but AMD processors have a little lever you have to crank down) Don't put too much thermal paste on, that can be as harmful as too little, not to mention messy. Don't let thermal paste leak over the edge of the processor and into the socket. Make sure BOTH power connectors are hooked up to the motherboard otherwise you'll never get anything. Make sure to FOLLOW ALL THE DIRECTIONS when putting the larger fan/heatsink on the processor. It's easy to get nervous the first time you do it. But remember, the motherboard CAN take the pressure, just don't get ridiculous. Check your work as you go so you don't have to backtrack too much if something doesn't work. This is as simple as trying to power it up just after putting the processor/heatsink and power supply in. Make sure to look up in your motherboard manual exactly how the memory should be configured for dual-channel (i.e. which color coded slots to use) Ok that's it just off the top of my head. It's a labor of love and chances are as long as it's not the cpu, if something does wrong, you can go in and fix it. The hardest thing to troubleshoot is a DOA because you could have installed it perfectly and it just doesn't work. Kind of a builder's nightmare depending on the component, but tbh it's been a very very rare occurrence for me.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
1. Ground your self, touch a metal object like a table or a pole before you touch anything and don't work on carpet!!, keep grounding yourself periodically or buy an anti static strap. Make sure your tools aren't magnetic infact don't work near magnets. 2. Don't go ripping and tearing boxes apart, unpack carefully and don't throw anything out until your finished and you know everything works. 3. Take out all the packaging from the part itself, a case can have anti scratch tape in the weirdest of place's. When i bought my oven the anti scratch tape was on the inside. 4. Install your motherboard into your case first, this way you avoid shaking your processor around too much and everything's grounded. 5. Install your PSU, and plug it into the socket, did anything fizzle? or explode? if so you only have to replace your motherboard and PSU :D but it probably won't. 6.Install your CPU, don't press too hard, use a card to apply your thermal grease, you get a nice smooth layer with even coverage, make sure everything is locked in place. Install your heatsink, again dont screw it down extremely hard with a high torque screw driver :D. 7. Install your RAM, this is simple(or is it?, i've broken more than 1 ram stick) 8. Install your hard drives 9. Install your video card 10. Install your drive's(optical) 11. Install other connections(this one can get quite tricky, read the manual because if you miss one things can go south. Now it the moment of truth, pull out your m16 and start shooting the hell out of your old computer(optional). Now you can power your pc up, check the motherboard and see if the heat sink and other fans spin up, if they don't cut the power IMMEDIATELY or your CPU will fry. If everything goes fine have a look at your monitor, you should see it enter the bios and you should see all your harddrive's and video cards appear in there. One tip, dont try your processor without a heat sink installed, its an easy mistake :D

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
[FONT=Calibri][size=12][COLOR=lemonchiffon]I have been building these things for 14 years. The only thing I purchase from a manufacture is laptops (Alienware/Dell is no, no for me anyway).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][size=12][COLOR=lemonchiffon]While some folks are right. There are a few things you may not be able to avoid. Like carpet or bad parts good news everything on computers now a days are very easy to install, most everything is plug and play even over clocking(used to be jumpers and mathematics). If you cannot avoid doing it on carpet, every time you walk away, scoot your knees or butt you MUST touch a grounded piece of metal or get a safety strap.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][size=12][COLOR=lemonchiffon]If you have not ordered yet. Start with the motherboard/mainboard. Go to the manufacture website and make sure memory is compatible with the motherboard. Look at part numbers only for memory (Newegg has part numbers). I guess next question is which processor? AMD or Intel? Make sure your motherboard is AMD or Intel specific. At the minimum you want 4 gigs of ram. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][size=12][COLOR=lemonchiffon]I guess amidst all this information. One thing you need to do is. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WORKS WITH EACH OTHER. Usually the mother board will have specs before you buy and a QVL (Qualified vendors list).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][size=12][COLOR=lemonchiffon]Make sure whatever you are purchasing, it coincides with your motherboard. ATX towers/cases only. You can go with a large tower (what I have) or middle tower. Middle towers may need some configuring done to fit the BIG ASS video cards. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Calibri][size=12][COLOR=lemonchiffon]I know this isn’t a lot. But it’s a start. Ohh and make sure your Power supply is got enough juice and cables. I would say at minimum 600W or get a tower that has a PSU already with it. Up to you.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Oh yeah... forgot the most important thing: when in doubt, DON'T GUESS. Look it up in the motherboard manual, on the manufacturer website, or ask a question here. Also, maybe it's just me, but I occasionally have trouble getting the back plate to line up with the motherboard on the first try. Just be patient and work with lining it up and screwing it down so that it fits properly with the back plate that comes with the mobo. Don't force anything, but occasionally it has to sort of click into place real lightly.

Ya know, now that the topic is up, perhaps I should ask a couple questions? I feel a little weird doing this, as I've only done CPU replacement a couple of times, and outside of that, I have no experience on building computers. Which is kinda' funny because I went to college for software engineering, and I've never asked anyone about hardware before. In a few months, I am going to need a new laptop for what I do for a living. I want to get top-of-the-line equipement available for a laptop. (large amount of RAM, extremely fast processor, Terrabyte or more harddrive, etc). However, I have been considering the possibility of building my own. This may not be a good idea since I don't have that much experience in building a desktop PC, but I wanted to get some thoughts on what it takes to build something like that. (coincidentally, I'll probably be using this laptop for BF3 as well, so if that gives any idea of the specs I want on this) I haven't a clue yet the first thing I should do. Anyone else know what I should expect... or if I should abandon my thoughts and buy a pre-made one?

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
Sergeant Kaine, When I was thinking about doing the same, I had trouble finding laptop cases/kits to do that. Of course that was a couple of years ago, and I had to settle on a DELL Precision M6400. Laptop runs pretty good on BFBC2 now, not sure how it will work with BF3.

Guest RET.SSgt.SonicMulisha=US=
The most common problem that I have seen in over 15 yrs of repairing PC's is that people put the Memory in backwards. Just remember to not force anything to go in. And DONT FORGET THE THERMO PASTE!!!!!!

I will never buy a Dell again. That's my only rule. Last time I bought a Dell, it took 3 hours over the phone to get them to accept a $500 payment. It's almost as if they don't want you to pay off the computer you bought. Not to mention that their hardware has gone bad so quickly, and they want you to send the whole computer back in and wait 2-6 weeks for repairs. Dell does great for businesses, but for individual purchases, I personally find them to be crap.

Guest WarMachine
As far as laptop gaming goes, from my personal experience as well as the experience Kaoss has described to me, don't do it. It has the pro of being portable and powerful for the first 6-12 months, but after that you'll be begging for a new graphics card, and that 6-12 months is only if you bought the best gfx card available for the laptop. Depending on what you're doing for work, you could get away of something just above average and spend the rest on upgrading/building your gaming rig. Just some advice from what I've experienced with laptop gaming...

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
[quote='PFC.WarMachine=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=80291#post80291']As far as laptop gaming goes, from my personal experience as well as the experience Kaoss has described to me, don't do it. It has the pro of being portable and powerful for the first 6-12 months, but after that you'll be begging for a new graphics card, and that 6-12 months is only if you bought the best gfx card available for the laptop. Depending on what you're doing for work, you could get away of something just above average and spend the rest on upgrading/building your gaming rig. Just some advice from what I've experienced with laptop gaming...[/QUOTE] This. Like WM says, if you need one for work get a medium grade laptop that has the basics to allow you to do your work stuff. But really it's not worth the premium to get a gaming laptop. The gap is only going to get larger between desktops and laptops. And heating is always an issue with high end games. If your desire is BF3 it just is not gonna work. Now if your desire was BF2, then it might be an option.

Archived