New video card?

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=

I can't figure out what's wrong with my computer. All the memory and the CPU checks out. I've noticed my blue screens come most often when I'm watching video or listening to music. So I think my video card might be crapping out. So I'm going to replace it and see if that solves things. Right now I have a nvidia 9800GT. I figure if I'm going to replace it, go with something better. So what's a better card that I can get for like $200 or less?

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
what os? when you say watching videos, do you mean like downloaded files, or like hulu/youtube? there is a known issue with some problems watching internet videos. anyway, in terms of a new video card, start with this article. [url]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6870-geforce-gtx-570,2834.html[/url] Check out the chart at the end as well Now under $200 if you'd like to stay nvidia, i'd go no lower than a 460. or a 5770. I know people like to stick with nv/ati so since you already have the 9800 I'd guess you wanna stick nv. I'd recommend 460 at the minimum because of dx11. No point in upgrading to a dx 10.1 card now. 5770 is a lot cheaper, or you could go with the slightly better 6850. I'd put the 6850 ahead of the 5770 since it's newer and slightly better, but it's also more expensive. For all intents and purposes 460 = 6850. If you are willing to go a tad higher at around $230/240 you can go with the 6870 or 470. If you want to upgrade and not worry about upgrading for a long time, go with the 6950 (around $300) and update the bios to 6970. This is currently the best cost/value out there for video cards atm.

It's downloaded files, DVDs that I've backed up on my harddrive, and internet videos. Basically all of the above? I'm not sure I can convince my girlfriend to let me pay $300 for a new video card, but if the upgrade from a 6850 to a 6870 is worth $40, I can probably get away with it.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
Orrrrrr, play really epic in the Vietnam tournament and win with the SBS team so we can all get 6970s :D.

[quote='RET.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=79915#post79915']Orrrrrr, play really epic in the Vietnam tournament and win with the SBS team so we can all get 6970s :D.[/QUOTE] We'd only get 6 of them. :P I'm planning on playing tonight if they need me. But I can't really count on that as it seems like every ridiculous pro team (complete with sponsors) has entered. I'd rather buy something now rather than hope to win a 6970.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
[quote='SFC.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=79931#post79931']You guys should get some sponsors then :D[/QUOTE] Ha, i wish! Maybe in the summer...

Archived