Computer Problems (BFBC2)

Guest RET.MCPO.MasterOfPuppets=US=

Most of you probably know by now but I'd like some ideas on what I could do to fix it. My computer keeps freezing but only when I play Bad Company 2, could be 5 min into a round or 3 hours. It's completely random so I have no idea whats causing it. Played about 1h in a full server then go to a server with 4 people and it freezes sometimes its the other way around.. So if anyone has any ideas let me know

Guest Mullens

Check out http://www.ibuypower.com that is where i got mine for about 1000. I have a

I-7 quad intel 3.0Ghz. with liquid cooler free upgrade.
9800 GT 1Ghz Navida card
sound blaster X-fi gamer thing
3 fans
500Gb HD Sata
with digital temperature.
Dvd-R/w and cd-rw combo
keyboard, mouse
nice case
oh yeah 4 GB ddr3 9x9x9x24 RAM Corsair XMs3 Dominator w/DHX Technology which was a free upgrade.

SPC

Guest doctoRR
I think that there would be a better way to fix it without replacing your ram. What video settings are you using ingame, and what video card do you own?

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Your fan may not be sufficiently cooling your graphics card or some other component, or you may have some software settings that over clock your card during games, like the 3d setting in afterburner.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

Idk I'll stand by the original mobo on your list. The onboard video doesn't really make a difference one way or another. You're not getting hosed in any way just because it's there. If you never use it, that's fine. Between USB 3 and SATA 6 this stacks up nicely. If you're getting DDR3 1600 memory, I know it doesn't specifically say that's the memory standard on this board, but that should not be a problem.

For the vid card, Decayed is right when he says the 6950 > 5870. However, if you're going to go with the 69xx series, bear in mind that there are performance differences between the 6950 and 6970 that may or may not make it worth spending the $80 more/per for the 6970.

Specifications and features:
GPU
Radeon HD 6970
Core Clock
880MHz
Memory Effective Memory Clock
1375MHz (5.5Gbps)

Specifications and features:
GPU
Radeon HD 6950
Core Clock
800MHz
Memory Effective Memory Clock
1250MHz (5.0Gbps)

There is a 30MHz stock difference in the core clock speed and 125MHz in effective mem clock. Someone else might be able to chime in on whether or not you'll actually notice that if you do OC anyway.

In general, though, it's worth it to go with the 69xx series over the 58xx series. The 69xx has some significant design improvements that make it more flexible and future-proof where games are concerned. Specifically, it breaks open the bottleneck when a game utilizes tessellation, which is basically just a way of rendering a surface. You'll see a significant drop over time with the 5870 whereas the 69xx will last much longer given how games are being made these days.

6970 link
6950 link

[quote='RT.doctoRR=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=79140#post79140']Does it only happen when you're in a server or does it happen when you're in the game menu.[/QUOTE] Only ingame [QUOTE=RT.doctoRR=US=]I think that there would be a better way to fix it without replacing your ram. What video settings are you using ingame, and what video card do you own?[/QUOTE] GTS 250 play on medium

Guest gamerk2
What motherboard/CPU, and how many sticks of RAM? Two things can cause a total system hang: 1: something REALLY gets messed up memory wise, so bad the CPU doesn't even get a chance to record a fault (BSOD) 2: overheating beyond thermal limits causes CPU to lock. My 790i motherboard actually suffers from the 1st problem, and I've never totally resolved it [average one lockup per month, so I'm not screwing with it right now...] 1st thing I would do is a memory test: memtest86 is the standard for this. After that, download Realtemp or Coretemp, and check temps after gaming for a while. Anything above 70C is cause for concern. [Not to say below is GOOD; anything above 65 requires attention at some point, but 70C is my redline for a maxed CPU] Next step, if the problem isn't resolved, is to lower your memory frequency/timings a bit, and see if that helps.

Manufacturer: System manufacturer Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz Memory: 4096MB RAM (2 Sticks of 2GB) Hard Drive: 500 GB Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 Monitor: 19" x 2 Sound Card: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device) Speakers/Headphones: Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Motherboard: P5QL Pro Computer Case: Antec 902 Edit - I'm pretty sure its a heating problem. Last time my computer froze I checked me cpu temperature and it was 50-52C. Also I'm not getting BSOD it just completely freezes up and I have to restart it.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

There lies the problem of "future proofing".

To do or not? That is the question. But the answer is a hard one, there's no right or wrong or even a "perfect balance" and one could sit and write page's on the topic but it's almost impossible for anything to be future proof.

That also leads to the single worst problem facing computers today, the processor problem. Processors with their current architecture cannot go any faster because the heat and power "going faster" will produce far surpass what any residential computer can handle and the memory is also bottlenecked. This leads to companies adding "core" after "core" to make their processor faster. But in actual fact almost no applications can handle even 6 cores because programming for 6 cores is much harder than programming for one due to the "dead lock" problem which occurs when 2 cores access the same file and obtain a lock simultaneously locking both out and causing both to wait for the other. This problem has to be avoided but its not easy. The only way for computers to go is via the brain, i.e synapse computing. Its the only way we will be able to reach maximum performance is if we emulate the brain which can perform trillions of operations per second taking in sight,smell,taste,feel and hearing to output a smart response to all parts of the body in order to do simple things such as run or catch a tennis ball. CPU's should follow this route, the operations should not be individual tasks but learned tasks, hence forming a reflex action, booting up should be a reflex occurring in less that a second much like blinking.

So buy within your budget and buy 1 generation from the current is my rule. The previous generation will generally be 20-30% cheaper, slightly worse than the current generation but this you will not notice. This leaves room for you to buy the next generation up when the current generation changes(confusing?).

Basically buy a 5990 instead of a 6990(its an example), because the 5990 will be cheaper and when the 7990 comes out you can buy a 6990 and still save money.

Rams fine. Fixed my heating problems. Haven't tried running BC2 yet. But now 100% of my processor is being used, all the time. Looked in the processes theres nothing, and going to run a virus scan over night.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
Well ur cpu gonna be working like a horse in bc2. any other issues with other games? Video card gpu issues can cause hang ups too..

No nothing really. I've had my computer freeze once when I left it on for a while doing nothing every other time it's been playing BC2 or Vietnam

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
Most likely it's not a gpu problem, however, if you want you can download GPU-Z. Go to the status tab. Check both boxes on the bottom, one says, update status while in background, other says write to a log file. Then have it running while you play bc2. When you crash, it should have posted the last status like temps, fan speeds etc. for isntance if ur fan speed is for some reason on manual and only at 40% and u are hitting 80/90 on ur card that can cause a lock. Again probably a stretch but if u want to at least mark off things that def aren't an issue u can try this.

Archived