Q6600

Guest Dill

Trying to find this processor, can't find any that are less than 200, and come with a fan + heat sink, unless the one from my, unless my 6200 sync and fan work with it. (Which I doubt.)

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
[url]http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=q6600&hl=en&cid=4566483532648421533&os=sellers#scoring=p[/url] and specifically [URL='http://www.digiconcepts.com/intel_cpus_186.htm']this one[/URL] is OEM.

Guest gamerk2
Out of curiosity, why the Q6600? I mean, sure, it OC's like mad, but it IS a first gen quad. Any reason not to go for a 8000/9000 series quad instead? (I know the Q8400 is going for about $169 right now). Its getting hard to find the Q6000 series as well; they've been out of production for some time, and due to their rep, they are mostly overpriced these days...

I don't believe it is on there. I saw a 6600 which is only a dual core, as oppose to the Q6600 which is a quad, also 6600 is 45nm where as the Q6600 is 60nm. (Lol I wish it were that easy, I may end up having to dish out anothe $30 bucks for the fan :().

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

haha doing ok, I am actually brown belt...which in my dojang's color system is 2 steps away from black (11 total belt colors).

I see the orthopedic tomorrow morning so we will see what kind of good news he has.

As for the kick TMI, I wish it was during sparring lol. It was during some of the drills and after it happened I got up and finished the drill, then rolled off the mat in agony haha.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
you're better off getting a new mobo and cpu. you are actually paying a premium on the q6600 because of supply and demand. you can upgrade to a decent amd mobo cpu for about $200.

Heh, no, what mobo and cpu would you guys recommend? (Right now I have 4X1 DDR2, so it needs 4 slots. Hmm, what else seems pertinent, I have a 700W ATX PSU. Let me know if yall need anything else to make a recommendation.)

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
well, i dunno man, it seems like you are really really trying to keep old parts. ddr3 is the standard now, so getting another ddr2 board is setting yourself up for another upgrade in the near future. What kind of chip do you have atm? I think like gamerk2 mentioned, just get an E8400. They are still pretty good and it will be the easiest upgrade. You can probably get some good deal if you hold out long enough (saw it as low as $130 earlier in the year). I would be wary of buying any new Intel mobo since Sandy Bridge is due out early next year and they decided to make a brand new architecture for it! Yay for intel.

B/c my board doesn't support a Q8400 (which is what gamer recommended), and an E8400 is vastly different. Kinda stuck b/c the first generation (Dual Core Quads) are no longer made, and that is the only quad that will go in my system. I'm thinking the E8400 is however the best option ATM (OC's well). I'll also be building a new computer in a couple of years, so this is really just a stop gap.

Guest gamerk2
Ahh, stuck with a mobo that only supports 6 series quads... Not much you can do, given the situation. If you can find a Q6600 and OC it, you'll be fine, gaming wise, though you'll still probably choke the 680's a bit... As for RAM, while DDR3 is basically standard now, C2Q's doing see any significant advantage using it due to still relying on the FSB, so as long as its DDR2 400 (800MHz), the RAM should be fine. If you decide to go with a new build at some point, hold off until Intel releases its new arch (Sandy Bridge) early next year. From what I'm seeing, Sandy Bridge could be about as big a jump as we got when we moved from the Pentium 4 to Core 2.

Archived