CPU

Guest Dill

I'm looking to upgrade from my dinky 2.3 dual core to a Intel core 2 quad. My mobo is a 680sli later manufacturing, so it should support that family of processors. I was most likely looking at [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057[/url], anything for cheaper? Or would yall suggest something else, hoping this will be like a year stop gap before I build a new pc.

Not looking for an entirely new system atm. Edit:When I think about I might do this seeing how I can get a processor for 150-200$ that will last a year to two, or go for a new system that will last me 4 years for 800. Also taking into account what a pain the butt it will be to install it.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
the worst part is attaching the fan but other than that cpu swapping is easy. But I would go for a core i7 or i5 and that would require a full upgrade.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
this day and age it isnt worth your money upgrading to anything less than an i7 if you want it to last. Worth paying the extra bit or saving up for it to get the lifetime out of it.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='RET.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=76239#post76239']this day and age it isnt worth your money upgrading to anything less than an i7 if you want it to last. Worth paying the extra bit or saving up for it to get the lifetime out of it.[/QUOTE] Ain't that the truth. My Core i7 920 is going to turn 2 years old in a few months and its still one of the best ones on the market.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
All intel fanboys. AMD will run cooler, and draw slightly less power. You can argue that Intel is a more sound upgrade cause it lasts longer... blah blah blah. If you can get a comparable AMD at a much cheaper cost, then you also have more money to upgrade later. I agree that i7s are good chips though. Now we are just talking about going full out or going in the middle. i7s are still good but you can still get chips that are not that much worse for 1/3 of the cost. Now, is it worth the premium? Are you actually utilizing your cpu's? Probably not. So for real world application, it's a wash.

Archived