ANNOUNCEMENT: Chat Bar

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Hello all. We at the newly formed MOS Intel have a nice new feature for the clan. A facebook like [B]Website Chat Bar[/B]! Over the past few weeks we have been trying to figure out the best way to implement a chat box for the clan site. There are many free vBulletin addons like shoutBox, and others where its just one small box that you basically make short posts in. We wanted something much better looking and more personal. So we landed on a few finalists, AJAXIM, Meebo bar, and CometChat. The first two are free but we couldn't get AJAXIM to connect to our database properly and the Meebo bar works but we would all need to login with AIM,MSN, ICQ, etc type names which would be inconvenient. So we landed on CometChat, we were able to get a demo version running yesterday on our site and we fell in love with it. It works very similar to facebook chat, so if you have used that before you already know how to work it. It is very simple, the "Who's Online" is a list of all the users currently browsing the forums. [I]This may look confusing since it will sometimes show more people viewing the site with the homepage "Online Users" widget. But that widget is of people who have been on in the last 15 minutes, not necessarily who is on now.[/I] To chat with someone simply click there name in the Who's Online list and a chat window will appear. The message will be instantly sent to the member no matter where they are in the website/forums. Its that simple! There is one stipulation. [B]The chat logs are saved to our database which overtime, due to the size of our clan, will fill up. If the DB is full we will have LOTS of problems. So to fix this we are going to run a tool, most likely daily, that clears out the chat logs. So don't rely on the chat logs saving previous chats. If you were given important information, make sure you copy it to something else.[/B] The reason this feature is so well integrated and slick is because it is a commercial product, which is why we tried so many other alternatives. This cost $50 but a great thanks to RET.CrAzY_NuTtA who donated over half to pay for this feature. I also want to thank the whole Intel team for working so hard on figuring this out and getting a solid chat system working. A big thanks to SSG.Thieving, SGT.Decayed, and CPT.Skyler. If there are any problems please let us at Intel know. Enjoy! [b]UPDATE[/b]: I had to make some changes to remove some of the excess. Please clear your cookies. Thanks.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[b]Please note the games will only work on Firefox that I know of. I haven't tested IE, but they DO NOT work in Chrome[/b]. If i felt like this was a big issue I would care, but all of the games can be googled or played on some site like yahoo games or something. If it gets to annoying i'll just disable that feature.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=

Sargent Decayed and I have discussed this at length and haven't been able to determine the answer yet as we haven't hopped in the practice server like Pvt.Haterade suggested. I'm down for the testing.

General DentalMav is, too. We should all get together tonight and figure it out.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='SSG.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=70970#post70970']Nice! im recommending crazy for Homanitarian award[/QUOTE] Please tell me thats not a typo.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Unfortunately it is :D im typing in the dark lol, i meant H[COLOR='red']u[/COLOR]manitarian Award.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
@thieving aww, lol get a G15 backlit keyboard! @bigmac let me clarify, the single player games work fine, the games where you play against another member don't work in Chrome.

Guest oXJerXo
[quote='SSG.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=70970#post70970']Nice! im recommending crazy for Homanitarian award[/QUOTE] Homoitarian award - This awards is given to those =US= members that donate a surplus of Homoitarian comments, remarks, innuendo, and/or double entendre over clan communication media (NOW including the fancy facebook style chat). These members take it upon themselves to entertain the organization which we all enjoy. The presentation of this award can be superseded by inserting everyones favorite "no homo" disclaimer (Courtesy of Sargent Major 8-Ball, as far as I know) somewhere, usually at the end, of said communication. I don't have a picture of the award as it is rarley given out and hard to come by (no homo) but as the legend goes it includes a rainbow ribbon and a platinum unicorn! Love, Jerksoh PS - no homo

Archived