Help....

Guest BigMac530

Guest BigMac530
Ok. I got my Alienware today and when i turn it on its fine and stuff. But the monitor isnt used fully. There is like a black bar around it. I download and install new drivers, my screen goes black and i see a blue screen. the computer reboots and the resolution is at the lowest. I log in and i fix the resolution to the highest which is no longer 1920x1080(my monitors native resolution). It is now 1400x1050. omg help.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
firstly, make sure u installed the correct drivers. secondly, what connection type you using? if there are two ports at the back of the video card, try swapping to the other one to see if it makes a difference. thirdly, google says to try "You're probably not using LCD panel expansion. When you start up you're computer, when it's on the screen that says Dell, press F8. There you'll find a bunch of options - go to video, then go to the option that says "LCD panel expansion" and turn it on. You'll see directions that tell you what keys to press to change the options." finally, lol alienware fail.

Guest Senth
Dont use 10.6 catalyst from Ati.. use 10.5. make sure ur not using VGA cable. use hdmi or dvi. Most of the time .. its the driver or the cable problem not the hardware. what psu did they use? ever since dell bought out alienware. their quality control has be horrible.

Guest BigMac530
ok xander gave me better support then dell. things fixed. But i still have a black bar around my screen.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
is your reso on your desktop set to 1920x1080? Is this only when you play bc2? Or even windows.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
These are probably silly questions, but like Senth said are you using an HDMI or DVI cable? Also, what resolution is the desktop saying it's at? Does your monitor have an "auto" calibration setting? Have you tried using that? Is the black bar the end of your screen, or can you actually move your mouse behind there and put icons there etc.

Guest BigMac530
HDMI. I can not move my icons their because my mouse cant go their. the desktop is saying its at 1920x1080, which is my monitors native resolution. And no, my monitor doesnt have an auto calibration setting.

Guest Senth
try using DVI. For TV HDmI is better but for Computer monitor DVI is recommended. also go to aTI catalyst control center. there is monitor setting where u can change it from TV setting to Computer monitor setting. TV setting as 1080p 720p 1080i .. monitor setting as res of 1920x1080 etc etc change to monitor setting at that res. See if that helps. The system is probably recognizing the monitor as a TV instead of a comp monitor cuz of hdmi use.

Archived