Old man needs advice

Guest RET.Realgrunt=US=

Guest RET.Realgrunt=US=
OK fellas I'm alot older then most of you (37). I'm out of shape and need to get back into literal fighting shape. I'm not about to join a gym. I'll lift weights and stuff at home. There is no way in hell that I'm gonna start jogging so I'm thinking how to get in good cardio shape without hating the process. Well I've come to the conclusion that getting back into martial arts will do the job. I used to study tae kwon do and hapkido when I was younger however those disciplines bore me. I'm interested in getting into jujutsu. I'm just concerned if the disciple might be to hard on my body which is pretty much beat up from wrestling from 2nd grade to graduation, the military, fighting, and stupidity. There are schools around here that teach the goshin style and the Gracie family style ( No I don't want to be a mma guy). I've also been curious about other disciplines especially Krav Maga. If you know what your talking about then reply here. If your some fake ass thinking you can bullshit me into thinking your a ninja or something don't bother me or I'll staple your ear to your ass. [B] [/B]

Guest Krawll
Thai Chi or Muay Thai. Both are type thats use the other persons momentum against them. But they do require cardio. I'm not much of a jogger either. I usually jump rope to music in my living room. But thats just me. I took Tie Chi for 2 years right after High School. But Muay Thai is close to Tie Chi. Only difference is the Muay Thai is intended it cripple if not kill the opponent. Oh.. and Thai Chi is trained in a slow motion training. Muay Thai is fast paced. "Thai Chi is a Martial Art that is performed slower than most other Martial Arts and is regularly prescribed to people who are looking for alternative exercise but cannot perform the traditional aerobics exercises." Please do not stable my ass to my ear. I do not need to hear what's going on down there that much.

Guest RET.CPT.Vogts=US=
Someone's Getting Stapled , Qotsa. I took Thai chi for about let it be 4 years. And i've learned alot from it . It uses your enemy's momentum against them to ground them so you can take control. Its a good thing.

Guest RET.LCDR.2DyESaMuRi=US=
Karav maga is a mixture of arts, it lack the true meaning of a martial art. I will not teach discipline, or anything that a true art will. Now if ytou are really serious look for a school that does not have all the color belts you see, a real school will have around 4 colors which symbolize the earth, water, air, fire and so forth. Also depending on your body structure will help dictate what is good to take, for example my long legs and larger frame makes akido a great art for me, its a defensive and non aggressive style while jeet kun do is a highly aggressive style which will use a lot of leg work and wear on the knees. Look into what is good for your body size, age(no joke intended), weight, and things like that. Hope that helps man. Btw if you want, swimming is one of the best cardio workouts.

Guest Deadon
Based on your backround I would go with jujitsu. You were a wrestler so your takedown and takedown defense is already in place. Jujitsu will just expand on that but be a lot more technical in the process. It will also allow you to take a fight to the ground because I assure you, you most likely don't want to be standing up with someone for more then 30 seconds unless your a highly trained fighter. From a physical aspect jujitsu is much easier then wrestling and less punishing on your body. You will also earn belts if your into that. However, if that's not your thing I would honestly recommend taking a combat art instead of a martial art. A combat art such a eskrima or as it's more commonly referred to in the US kali. Here is the wiki on [U][COLOR=Blue][URL='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskrima']eskirma[/URL][/COLOR][/U]

Guest 3lmo
Same As vogts I also did tai chi only longer and mixed with elements of Kung Fu. Well tai chi helps you to stabilize your body or control the inner flow of chi. You do some meditation ( sitting still and straight is harder than you think). But on the fighting side it's really usefull when your opponent weighs more or is taller. At then 5' I was able to bring sown and lock a 6'something person. In the Kung Fu part you might also be I introduced to using sticks as weapons. Besides that as said swimming is prolly the best cardio workout. Why not combine martial art and swimming.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
I am currently going for black belt at taekwondo and i must say its definitely a good martial art. Im also considering studying jujitsu because taekwondo is mainly using the legs and jujitsu covers locks and submission which taekwondo does not. Also the best way to improve your cardio is run, but running does not have to be a boring activity, you could run with a group of other people. Alternatively pyramid training can improve your cardio without being boring and really challenges you. I coach a team and i do pyramid training as fitness instead of running as not only does it improve their body strength as a whole but also improves their cardio. How i do it is i set out a line about 50 meters and they start at one end and jog to the other and jog back. Everything they get to the starting line i add one activity e.g jog 100 meters do 10 push ups, jog another hundred meters and do 10 push ups and 10 sit ups. I do this until i get to 6-8 activities or i think their reasonably tired, i then reduce the activity by 1 every hundred meters and i end with a sprint. All martial arts also have an important aspect of not just brute strength but also the ability to out run your opponent. At lower levels in Taekwondo the first person to get tired usually looses.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=
I currently take Tae Kwon Do, which is great, but if you are looking for something different then Aikido is a great one like master chief said. It is all defensive and uses your opponents weight and forces against them. It is similar to jujitsu in the fact it has a lot of throws and such, and in Aikido almost all the throw end in some kind of pin or submission lock. Also a good Aikido school will teach the Jo (or Bo) staff and the sword.

Guest RET.Capt.Covert=US=
[quote='LTG.Realgrunt=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=66785#post66785']OK fellas I'm alot older then most of you (37). I'm out of shape and need to get back into literal fighting shape. I'm not about to join a gym. I'll lift weights and stuff at home. There is no way in hell that I'm gonna start jogging so I'm thinking how to get in good cardio shape without hating the process. Well I've come to the conclusion that getting back into martial arts will do the job. I used to study tae kwon do and hapkido when I was younger however those disciplines bore me. I'm interested in getting into jujutsu. I'm just concerned if the disciple might be to hard on my body which is pretty much beat up from wrestling from 2nd grade to graduation, the military, fighting, and stupidity. There are schools around here that teach the goshin style and the Gracie family style ( No I don't want to be a mma guy). I've also been curious about other disciplines especially Krav Maga. If you know what your talking about then reply here. If your some fake ass thinking you can bullshit me into thinking your a ninja or something don't bother me or I'll staple your ear to your ass. [B] [/B][/QUOTE] My friend lost a lot of weight with boxing. Give that a shot. Plus it gets your anger out.

Guest Mental
cooking and walking to the can 100 times a night isnt enough for you any more old man? i know this isnt martial arts but p90x is a great program for cardio. dont bash saying it doesnt work cuz after a week i was to the point were i couldnt move and then got too lazy to finish lol.

Guest RET.SSG.Trajan=US=
I am a black belt and still practise taekwon-do. I see many people do taekwon-do. I do ITF, but there is also WTF. Another great martial art that my friends do is yoseikan-budo. It's a mixture of different techniques from different martial arts. Taekwon-do will get you good cardio, also swimming will. I don't know, but maybe biking might interest you. It could be mountain biking (depending on where you live. It can also be biking in the streets, which is just as good from my point of view. ( I am not a proffesional trainer). By the way, good luck to [URL='http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/member.php?1290-SGT.ThievingSix-US'] [/URL] [URL='http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/member.php?1290-SGT.ThievingSix-US'][B]SGT.ThievingSix=US= for his black belt.[/B][/URL] That's pretty much what I can think of at the momment. This maybe won't be your favorite thing, but maybe think of enrolling in a team sport like soccer, baseball or something like that. Where I live, we have leagues for peolpe over 35. I am just suggesting things. Hope I help a little, RET.Trajan=US= [URL='http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/member.php?1290-SGT.ThievingSix-US'][/URL]

Guest AgentOrange
Just pay me the money for Karate Lessons. I will pulverize the other guy for you. If that doesn't work, I will gas him.

Archived