RAMming Speed

Guest CPT.Vanarambaion=US=

Guest CPT.Vanarambaion=US=

So I finally rebuilt my beefy desktop. The thing wouldn't turn on, so I had to figure out whether it was the mother board (expensive problem), or the power supply (expensive problem) or the power button (cheap problem). It was the mother board AND the power supply. Because Murphy's Law is not a suggestion.

So I got her running, and popped under the hood to see if anything else had blown. Turns out that the power surge that blew the power supply and the mother board also fried one stick of my RAM. So rather than limp along on 8 gigs, I'm upgrading.

I'm looking for the big kahuna upgrade - 4x16 sticks. Obviously that's a pretty penny. I have heard that the speeds to look at with the most bang for the buck are 2400 and 3200.

Now, the real question - where does everyone buy their RAM? I'd like to get reliable hardware without getting totally torn to shreds on price. Also, what brands do you recommend? Any help appreciated.

Guest JimAlmeida
Why do you want 64Gb? I doubt people can use all of that to gaming...but heck...people do buy 500HP+ cars these days, what do I know?! :D

Guest Soulforged
I shop at Microcenter if you have one near you. As for brand name, Corsair has never given me any problems. If money isn't an issue then G.Skill is solid.

Archived