Post Your Fun Facts Here!!!!

Guest Krawll

Guest Krawll
If case some of you guys didn't know. HOOAH! actually has a meaning behind it. H.U.A. "Heard, Understood, and Acknowledged". One of your brain cells just split.

Guest RET.SSG.Spartan0189=US=
Heh, this thread should turn into the fun facts thread, Didn't know this one, thanks for sharing :D

Guest SilentScout^
[size=12][COLOR=Maroon]Although doughnuts were reportedly introduced to Americans by the Dutch, they were not the first people to come up with the idea of a hole in the middle. So is there actually a reason for having the hole in the middle? The answer is yes. As a sea going mariner, Hanson Gregory of Maine U.S.A. was posed with a dilemma while sailing one night and about to tuck into a delicious doughnut. A fierce wind had sprung up and both of his hands were required for steering the ship, so what to do with the doughnut? After a quick glance at the ship's wheel, he promptly stuck it onto one of the wheel spokes, thereby punching the centre out. After getting the ship under control and returning to his snack, he noted that the doughnut tasted much better without the centre portion which he had always found to be a little too undercooked and soggy. He therefore requested the ship's cook to prepare his doughnuts with a hole in the middle. thereby inventing the ring doughnut.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Guest SilentScout^
[size=12][COLOR=Maroon]Why are flamingos pink? [COLOR=White]Common myth says it's because they eat shrimp, but although they do eat shrimp, this is not the reason they are pink. It's actually because they eat blue-green algae! Yes, that's right, BLUE-GREEN algae! Just like the black box recorder on a plane is orange, blue-green algae, isn't necessarily always blue or green. It can often be red, orange, brown, yellow, and even purple. And by the way, they really are flaming, as the origin of the word 'flamingo' comes from the Latin for 'flame'.[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Guest SilentScout^
[size=14]Fact: Corporal Punishment In February of 1951, an American soldier named Corporal Einar Ingman found himself in command of two squads, since both sergeants had to be taken out of combat due to wounds and frostbite. He led his men against a Chinese machine gun nest, but Ingman took a hit in the head from a grenade fragment that tore away part of his ear. Then, a rifle bullet hit him in the face. Dazed, Ingman rushed into the nest, using rifle fire and his bayonet to kill all of the CHinese soldiers there. When his men finally caught up to him, they saw that Ingman killed all ten Chinese soldiers himself. He survived and got the Medal of Honor. He was later asked how he managed to accomplish so incredible a feat, and he replied "That bullet in my head sort of made me quit thinking."[/SIZE]

Guest Namngulfvet

Im not sure what fully transpired last night as I caught bits and pieces. PVT.Roy that was not the time nor place to bring up that discussion. I would like to sit an chat no rank involved to explain or talk about it with you. If anyone can answer your questions and or concurs I feel I can. I have two years in Vietnam in combat and a full year in the Gulf War. I know this is important to you so please feel free to pull me aside so we can talk anytime you see me on...

Guest Uberfeld
I thought this was funny... especially for me, a Canadian with a lot of family and friends in the US: Canadians do NOT pronounce "About" as if it were "Aboot"! In fact, the Canadian language DOES NOT HAVE THE WORD "ABOUT"! If a CANADIAN says "aboot," he probably means "a large shoe."

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
The fear of number 13 is called triskaidekaphobia and it was derived from treiskaideka, the Greek word for thirteen and phobia. There were thirteen people at Christ's Last Supper before his captivity, it is recorder that Christ was crucified on Friday. Routine mission to the moon goes drastically wrong on Apollo 13. Some hotels skip number thirteen when numbering rooms. In Formula 1, there is no car with the number 13.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='CPL.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=64697#post64697']it is recorder that Christ was crucified on Friday[/QUOTE] 0% proof of this (and after reading this only religious "fun facts" are coming to mind, so I won't post anything)

Guest SilentScout^
[quote='WO1.Xander=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=64712#post64712']0% proof of this (and after reading this only religious "fun facts" are coming to mind, so I won't post anything)[/QUOTE] Be clean and post what you want,just keep in mind, watch what you say:p

Guest RET.CW5.Ward
The shortest war on record was fought between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.

Guest RET.Col.TMI=US=
[quote='CSM. Ward','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=64720#post64720']The shortest war on record was fought between Zanzibar and England in 1896. Zanzibar surrendered after 38 minutes.[/QUOTE] sounds like our last scrim

Guest SilentScout^
[B]The World’s Longest War[/B] The world’s longest war, on the other hand, spanned 355 335 years without a single shot fired. That war, between the United Provinces of Netherlands and the Isles of Scilly, got started in 1651 and the story goes as follows: During the English Civil War (1642 – 1651), the Parliamentarians beat the Royalists further and further away from London, until it was forced to retreat to the Isles of Scilly off the Cornish coast. The Netherlands, which sided with the Parliamentarians, sent the Dutch Navy to fight the Royalist fleet. The Dutch Navy was so badly beaten that the Netherlands decided to declare war. However, they couldn’t blame England, since it was the Royalists in Scilly that caused them so much problem – so they declared war on the Isles in 1651 instead. Later that year, the Isles of Scilly fell to the Parliamentarians and the Dutch forgot all about the war (that is, until they fought the Brits again and again in the Anglo-Dutch War, the first of which started just 1 year later!) In 1985, a local historian and Chairman of the Isles of Scilly Council Roy Duncan decided to look into the rumor that the Isles were still at war with the Netherlands. When the Dutch Embassy in London confirmed that there was an actual declaration of war and everything, Duncan invited the Dutch ambassador Jonkheer Huydecoper to Scilly to sign a peace treaty. The peace treaty was signed on April 17, 1986, thus officially ending the war between the Netherlands and Isles of Scilly 335 years after it was declared!

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
1. Early shepherds may have used their curved staffs to hit stones in a simple game of "golf" as early as 2,000 years ago. 2. A more structured version of golf was invented in Scotland nearly 1,000 years ago. 3. The first golf balls were made of thin leather stuffed with feathers. Tightly-packed feathers made balls that flew the farthest. Feather balls were used until 1848. 4. The youngest golfer to shoot a hole-in-one was Coby Orr, who was five years old at the time. It happened in Littleton, Colorado, in 1975. 5. Some older golfers try to match their age to their golf score. The oldest golfer to "shoot his age" was a 103-year-old Canadian man. 6. After feathers, golf balls were made from "gutta-percha." Sap was drained from trees in Malaysia and boiled until thick. When hard, this substance was made into "gutty" balls. 7. Golf was too popular in Scotland in the 1400s--so it was made illegal. Laws said Scotsmen had to practice archery every day so they could defend their land. Instead, they were playing "golfe." King James II outlawed the sport so that men would return to practice with bows and arrows. 8. The first golf tournament was held at the Prestwick Golf Course in Scotland in 1860. This contest is called the British Open today. 9. A golf ball made of rubber, like those we use today, was invented in the United States in 1899. 10. Golf balls used in the U.S.A. are bigger than ones used in Canada or Europe. 11. The first golf contest for women was held in 1895 on Long Island, New York, although women had been playing for some time. 12. Professional women golfers formed the Ladies Professional Golf Association (L.P.G.A.) after World War II. 13. The word caddy comes from the French word for student, cadet, which is pronounced cad-DAY. 14. The first golf course was probably [B]St. Andrews in Scotland[/B], which is more than 400 years old. 15. The dimples on the outside of a golf ball help the , ball fly farther and more accurately, 16. Many professional golfers are superstitious. Nancy Lopez never uses a tee someone has discarded. Jack Nicklaus always plays with three tees and three pennies in his pocket. 17. A North Carolina man, Lang Martin, once balanced seven golf balls, one atop another, for a world record. 18. At least 20 people have scored two "holes-in-one" in a row.

Archived