Today A Life Changed

Guest Nomad501

Guest Nomad501

Unknown Soldiers and Those Whom I have Befriended

Today, on 27OCT2016, I, Isaac Gabriel Frantz (my real name, I trust y'all), took my oath of enlistment and swore to defend my country. I have joined the elite group called the United States Marine Corps. It is with great pride that I have taken this new path in life. I know I have told many I would join the Navy, but I had a change of heart and within two days my decision was final. Forty-seven days ago exactly, I decided to enlist in the Marines. And now I have done so. You have all, new and old members, been great friends and support for me. I may not be a member of this clan any longer, but I cherish the memories and lessons learned about self-respect, discipline, responsibility, leadership, and above all else, comradery. Thank you all.

I leave for MCRD Parris Island on August 8th, 2017. It is a long way away, but anything could change, and I am glad to be able to share this moment with so many great people.

OORAH

Guest DeKarbon
I am so glad that I only had a three month wait, if that. That time is either going to go really slow, or incredibly fast, and I hope you make it all the way through. Good luck.

Congratulations.

But I want to make sure you know what you are getting into. Most recruiters, (especially mine) don't tell you everything or the truth. "Its all about brotherhood; You get all this and that; Education; Travel; Culture; Training; Physical Fitness. You will be treated equally. Pay." The Marine Corps is what you make of it and in general, it is a very hard to environment to adjust to. It's a great experience to go through and will teach you alot of valuable life skills that you will keep for the rest of your life. You can make friends that become closer to you than your own flesh and blood family.

But, it's not the same ride for everyone. Some people, it's alot rougher and to most, its a load of Bull(poop). You spend most of your days in your early enlistment being treated no different than a sack of garbage tied up to a tree. When one person messes up, the entire group is punished. Sometimes, you go through days asking yourself why I joined this badly paying job that treats me worst than Burger Flippers at McDonalds. I oftened had days where I truly believed I joined to Branch to become a Janitor.

As time goes on, all the struggle you go through, all stupid things you are forced to do. It gets a little better day by day. You start picking up responsibilities and you learn why everything is done the way it is. Mass punishment so you learn to police your own peers so that no one gets in trouble. Clean your room for 12 hours until 2 AM to learn attention to detail. Delegation of leadership. Working together. Watching each others backs.

I did my four years and I admit, it is probably the worst time of my life. But, I now have values and skills I would of never learned anywhere else. When I joined, I wanted Education, I wanted to Travel. I wanted to be part of a family. I did not get any of it. I was never given the opportunity to go school. The only travel I did was to my duty station in the middle of the desert for over 3 years. And I was part of a very bad command who did not care for each other and was extremely negative about everything. People using rank and power over you because they never had it before. But this is only my experience.

I did have friends. Very close friends I made while I was in. Probably friends Ill have for the rest of my life. These friends, I met people in their last unit and I saw everything I wanted. Brotherhood. Bondness. Some got alot of college done already after 2 years. Different ranks, treating each other with respect. Sergeants who were friends with Staff Sergeants and Lance Corporals.

I got out as a Lance Corporal. I was not able to pick up due to my medical issues. And I was treated like crap for being a Broken Lance Corporal despite my Major Accomplishments and huge amount of experience and knowledge that no other Marine had (10 Personal awards, 4 Ribbons, 4 Medals, Expert Rifleman and Expert Pistol. Never deployed. Most Marines only have 2 or 3 Ribbons when they get out and only 2 personal awards and never qualified pistol. Only ones who get more are the ones who deploy or been in for multiple contracts) In the Marine Corps, you learn that there are Four types of people. You have leaders, bosses, followers and salty terminals. Leaders, they know what needs to be done and do what it takes to get it done and will do it with you by example. Bosses tell you what to do and that's it. Followers do what the Bosses and Leaders tell them to do. And that Salty terminal don't give a $!@# about anything and will get you in trouble to save his own butt. In my unit, we had alot of bosses, we lacked leaders and had quite a few salty terminals.

But, not all units are like this. I will have to express to you to never base your Marine Corps experience on your first duty station. I happened to be part of a unit in a base with the worst reputation that I hope you never have to go to. The true Marine Corps experience is having the time of your life. Knowing that you are safe because your brothers have your back. I did not trust my unit for anything. Not even when it came down to driving me to the ER the last 12 times last month. You are given a big opportunity that many others can only dream of. Whether it's 4 years or 20. Whether you get out as a Terminal Private or as the Commandant. When you get that Eagle, Globe and Anchor at the end of your Crucible at Boot Camp. You will never feel the same.

Please, go through boot camp, MCT, and MOS school with a stable mentality. Do not become one of those Marines who think they rate more than everyone. You do not rate anything until you reach Sergeant. You are no different than any other Marine around you. Private through Lance Corporals are all Juniors. They are learning the basics of the Marine Corps and how things need to be done. Corporals are no different than a Lance Corporal except an extra chevron.

Sergeants been there, done that. Nothing grinds my gear more than a PFC or Lance Corporal telling other Junior Marines that they are more senior than everyone else and start making threats. Treat your peers equally, even as a Staff sergeant or Colonel. And do not pick up as a Corporal and become one of those lazy sack of dirt NCOs that does nothing all day and play on your phone and yells at Junior Marines for not doing enough work. Take charge. Get things done. Be a role model.

What you do in the Marine Corps reflects highly on you and what you will do when you become a civilian again. Take advantage of all the free opportunities. Free Education, Free housing, Free (well almost free) food, Free medical, Free dental. Free counseling. Free training. Free skill development. Free Leadership training. Free mentorship. Free Experience. I hope you have the best experience.

Semper Fidelis,

Guest RET.CPT.Hammerwolf53=US=
I'm happy you have achieved your goal and wish you the best of luck in your new adventure. Every day we are granted in this life is a gift. Make the most out of each one!

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
Congrats, remember it is what YOU make it. You'll have good times and bad times. Take it with a grain of salt and remember basic and other entry level training is strict and stupid for a reason, to keep you alive and to help less brighter light bulbs shine. If you are not the dimmer bulb it will be way easy for you, do what they say and get it done right and life will be cake. They put you through the stress so when the real stress test comes around you can handle yourself and take care of others around you.

Guest RET.TSgt.Warlord=US=
Awesome, remember its 80% mental. Our DI's will mentally slay you, then physically slay you, and repeat until your broken, and rebuilt into a man.

Guest RET.TSgt.Warlord=US=
Unknown Soldiers and Those Whom I have Befriended

Today, on 27OCT2016, I, Isaac Gabriel Frantz (my real name, I trust y'all), took my oath of enlistment and swore to defend my country. I have joined the elite group called the United States Marine Corps. It is with great pride that I have taken this new path in life. I know I have told many I would join the Navy, but I had a change of heart and within two days my decision was final. Forty-seven days ago exactly, I decided to enlist in the Marines. And now I have done so. You have all, new and old members, been great friends and support for me. I may not be a member of this clan any longer, but I cherish the memories and lessons learned about self-respect, discipline, responsibility, leadership, and above all else, comradery. Thank you all.

I leave for MCRD Parris Island on August 8th, 2017. It is a long way away, but anything could change, and I am glad to be able to share this moment with so many great people.

OORAH

Hey Poolee Frantz,

I messaged you.

- Corporal Back, USMC - IRR (Soon to switch to Army NG)

Archived