Advantages of Changing your DNS

Guest ARCmedic

Guest ARCmedic

As some of you know, I am always looking for ways to improve my experiences. Computers, Networking, Cars, etc. One of the things I ran into was DNS changes because my ISP has been having server issues lately. I ran into a few options in changing your DNS from your ISP to a third party. I tried both Google Public DNS and OpenDNS. I have much faster web browsing speeds, more upload speed, and latency on BF4 Servers came down by about 8ms.

What I like about Google DNS is they are huge and everything I have is connected to google already. Dont worry about privacy, because lets be honest, anyone can find out anything about you as long as you have an internet connection that you are active on. Google promises the utmost privacy but, who knows. Also, Googles DNS is easy to remember 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

OpenDNS is what I lean more towards. I like it because of its active role in protecting aginst phishing and parental control options for my son. Security is much more important to me than privacy, you can achieve security to a level of comfort, but with privacy, you just never know. So I lean more toward OpenDNS. Here is more information for anyone else interested.

OpenDNS

GoogleDNS

Google Public DNS Services

You can access Google's Public DNS services by changing your network settings to point to Google's DNS servers found at "8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4." Google claims using its DNS service can offer improvements in Internet speed, security and validity of results. Google only offers DNS resolution and the services cannot be used to host a domain or block websites. Google doesn't require you to create an account to use their public DNS servers. If the domain you enter doesn't exist, Google's DNS resolution will return a DNS error message.

OpenDNS Services

OpenDNS offers DNS resolutions services just like Google Public DNS, but with added features. In addition to fast domain name resolution, OpenDNS also offers phishing and botnet protection, SmartCache, Web filtering, constant updates, a whitelist and blacklist mode, detailed statistics and typo correction. OpenDNS offers three levels of service: OpenDNS Home, OpenDNS Home VIP and OpenDNS FamilyShield. As of November 2013, the cost of OpenDNS VIP is $20 per year, while OpenDNS Home and FamilyShield are offered free of charge. OpenDNS FamilyShield is preconfigured to block adult and mature content not suitable for children. To use the basic OpenDNS service you can access the nameservers at "208.67.222.222" and "208.67.220.220."

Related Reading: Google Calendar vs. Google Calendar for Business

What Are the Differences?

Both Google Public DNS and OpenDNS offer fast domain name resolution services. Google and OpenDNS don't require that you create an account to access their services. If you'd like to take advantage of OpenDNS' premium features, you'll have to sign up and create a free account with a username and password. An account is required for OpenDNS Home, VIP and FamilyShield. Without an account, you'll just have access to its basic domain name resolution services. Google only provides domain name resolution and does not offer any statistics, parental controls or website filtering. To sign up for the OpenDNS VIP service you'll have to pay the annual fee.

Changing Your DNS Provider

If you want to use Google Public DNS or OpenDNS services, you'll have to configure your network settings to point to their nameservers. Setup instructions for both services can be found in the Resources section. Your Internet service provider should have its own DNS servers that are configured by default. You can choose to use Google Public DNS or OpenDNS as a secondary DNS server if you want to use your ISP's DNS as your primary server. If you are unhappy with your provider's services, you can use Google Public DNS or OpenDNS as your primary nameserver.

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=

Good post Pfc, I've been using google dns for about 6 years now.

Unfortunately simply changing your windows DNS settings is not enough for certain ISP's.

Below is an excellent supplement article about how certain ISP's are in the business of DNS jacking and how to get around it:

http://hackercodex.com/guide/how-to-stop-isp-dns-server-hijacking/

Archived