Recommendations for a gaming laptop

Guest COMR4DE

Guest COMR4DE

Hey guys!

I'm in the market for a gaming laptop, I've only ever bought one and it was almost 4 years ago and $1k bucks at the time so it was pretty good. Obviously with time electronics quickly lose their edge and oddly the laptop can barely chug along BF2 at max settings (cant even do bf4 on lowest lol).

Anyways, I'm going to be gone from my home for an extended period of time and I need my gaming fix! It's not appealing to lug around my ps3 (I wouldn’t dare bring my new ps4 or gaming desktop with me) and a tv/projector, and a laptop anyways to do a day to day things. So I figured I'll retire my laptop and dish out another $1k ish into a "gaming" laptop. I know it wont be state of the art or in competition to my gaming desktop.

- What I'm looking for is the ability to run the last gen games at or almost max settings.

- SSD is not mandatory as I can wait for stuff to load, but preferred 7K+ RPM just for performance needs.

- I'm not well versed in Mobile GPU or CPU's but I imagine 2gb + and quad core of 2.0ghz+ would be minimum.

- I think 8gb RAM would be good for now, again I don’t plan on MAXING next gen games, so long as this laptop can play games at least at bare minimum for the next 3 years I would be thrilled. Plus RAM is the easiest to upgrade.

- Optical drive not mandatory, it saves room and cost just to have a 20 buck external DVD reader.

- Speakers don’t need to be super awesome, I have headphones :)

- At least 1 USB 3.0 port for my external HDD

- Would be nice to have a backlit keyboard, but it is not worth it if it severely shortens the performance of the keyboard

- No touch screen monitor, that is silly

I think a few of my specs are pretty much the case for every laptop now a days. But what I dont know is laptop build quality and reputation. It's funny I know how to fix laptops like the back of my hand, I've swapped HDD's, RAM, Screens, and Keyboard all the time oversees when the heavy handed Army guys got tired of the slow satellite internet ;) I just don’t know jack when it comes to buying a complete gaming laptop.

Like I said things change in electronics every month something bigger and better is out, but over the course of time what do you think have been the better laptop manufacturers?

Do you suggest buying a premade laptop from websites like Newegg or Tiger Direct?

Or do you suggest buying from a website that allows you to custom build like Cyberpower or OriginPC?

For reference I have the Lenovo IdeaPad Y570, still works just fine just outdated performance wise. I thought the keyboard on it was great and it survived 1 year of heavy use in adverse weather conditions.

I think I covered every aspect of my dream cheap but good gaming laptop :) Again just looking for suggestions and opinions from people that have dabbled more into gaming laptops than I. I have yet to find one that suits me but again I don’t know where to look for the good ones.

Thanks!

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
How important to you is the weight of your gaming laptop? You can get good ones that are thick and bulky or you could look at spending (quite a bit) more for something like the MSI GS70/GS60 or Aorus X7 laptops. Those perform at the upper end of the spectrum but you pay a pretty penny for them. I own the MSI GS70 2013 and have been happy with it.

Guest COMR4DE

Thickness isn't an issue for me SFC, as long as I can put it in a backpack (my 17 inch screen laptop fits in my back just fine)

So I guess for screen size a range for me would be 15-17 inches, 13 maybe if its a good deal, 19 and more would be harder to get in a bag

Guest RET.TSgt.Warlord=US=
Thickness isn't an issue for me SFC, as long as I can put it in a backpack (my 17 inch screen laptop fits in my back just fine)

So I guess for screen size a range for me would be 15-17 inches, 13 maybe if its a good deal, 19 and more would be harder to get in a bag

I have a Alienware M17X, its hardware is in great condition... Besides the screen (lol)... HDMI to a monitor works, or... 300 for a new screen. (long story, lol)

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=

So you're pretty set on your $1k budget, Sergeant?

Guest COMR4DE

Ssgt,

I try to stay clear of Alienware, they were the laptops I had to fix the most :P plus I'm pretty sure they charge an extra few hundred here and there just for funsies.

SFC,

Id be willing to stretch it to $1,500 ;) Point is I'm trying to not make it cost more than my gaming desktop. Cause in my mind if it cost more and does less performance (even if mobile) I don't like that lol

Guest Outrageous_
SGT.COMR4DE, I suggest you look into the ASUS ROG Gaming laptop series. I got mine for $1099 and it runs BF4, Arma 3, and pretty much any game out there fine.

Guest COMR4DE

Nice one PFC, yeah I have bought quite a few asus desktop parts and never been let down and I took a quick look at their ROG laptop series and a couple of them are def in the price range, the one with the gtx 970 3gb ram, 2.5 ghz quad, 1tb 7k+ rpm hdd, and I htink 12 or 16 ram. That's pretty much perfect

Any others?

Note: I also wont be buying this laptop for possibly 2 or 3 months so maybe if there is a more expensive laptop out there now that will drop in price by then, i'd be interested.

Guest COMR4DE
Oh also, have they come up with practical way to do HDMI input? I remember hearing about a very select few laptops that naitively support it but they are expensive. Didn't know if that was still the case?

Guest COMR4DE

I was able to customize a laptop through cyberpower for $1,385 and here are the specs:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ Mobile Processor 2.50 GHz 6M Smart Cache, Max Turbo Freq. 3.50 GHz

HDD: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA300 Hard Drive

MEMORY: 8GB (8GBx1) DDR3-1600 SODIMM Memory (G.SKILL)

MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel HM87 Express Chipset Mainboard

SOUND: Supreme HD Audio w/ Sound Blaster X-FI MB3 Technology

VIDEO: NVIDIA GTX 970M 6GB PCIe Video Maxwell (NB-FANG-206)

OPTICAL: 8x DVD

DISPLAY: 17.3" LCD

I think it is so cheap because it is running a black friday deal right now, and also I knocked the memory from 16gb to 8gb (saved 80 bucks) and I oped out of having an OS installed since I have my own discs (saved 70 bucks)

The brand is an Fangbook Evo HX7-100 Gaming Laptop, what do you think?

Archived