Let My Research Begin!!!!!

Guest Nomad501

Guest Nomad501
I am gonna start researching and studying Military theories, tactics, stratagem, and history. Any military from around the world! From all era's. etc! If anyone has any books or websites or people I could look up to help me in this journey, I would greatly appreciate it if you PMed my about it or post a link in the comments. Thank you to all who help me in advance.

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=

Of course read The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

In addition some texts I've read and enjoyed:

The Campaigns of Alexander by Arrian

A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy by Miyamoto Musashi

Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice by David Galula

The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides

The 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene

On War by Carl Von Clausewitz

Some Principles of Maritime Strategy by Julian Stafford Corbett

Guest cepwin
Excellent PFC. Might you consider giving a presentation to the group of some sort when you've completed your research? That would be cool!

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=
Well who knew the Captain was so learned. Clausewitz, I'm impressed.

Thucydides I would think would be more impressive than Clausewitz. Though the History of the Peloponnesian War might be standard reading in some high school courses or college courses so having read it is probably a little less niche than Clausewitz.

Clousewitz is an absolute must read though for anyone interested in anything military, especially the all enveloping socio, political and economic aspects of "war". In fact it should have been much higher on the list though they aren't ranked on value or importance.

That being said however, On War at times feels like reading the Voynich manuscript

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

and is better used as a thought provoking text than a concrete description of war time strategy.

Guest RET.1SG.Maysin=US=

Machiavelli's, The Prince is a good one. I know its not specifically about tactics and practical strategy, but it has a lot of military theories/history in certain sections that are really relevant today. How a Prince should use his army, how important it is, who is allowed to be a soldier, when force is necessary, why defense with your own armaments is important and so on.

After all, Machiavelli believed that a Prince's main focus should be on perfecting the art of war. Additionally, there is the always great 'Cruelty vs. Mercy' argument :)

"Love is held together by a chain of obligation that is broken when it serves another man's interest, but fear, fear is maintained by the constant dread of punishment" - Machiavelli.

Man, there are so many great quotes from that book! I know it may be a little advanced for a 16year old, but it's a monumental political theory book. :)

Good luck with the research PFC!

Guest Nomad501
Machiavelli's, The Prince is a good one. I know its not specifically about tactics and practical strategy, but it has a lot of military theories/history in certain sections that are really relevant today. How a Prince should use his army, how important it is, who is allowed to be a soldier, when force is necessary, why defense with your own armaments is important and so on.

After all, Machiavelli believed that a Prince's main focus should be on perfecting the art of war. Additionally, there is the always great 'Cruelty vs. Mercy' argument :)

"Love is held together by a chain of obligation that is broken when it serves another man's interest, but fear, fear is maintained by the constant dread of punishment" - Machiavelli.

Man, there are so many great quotes from that book! I know it may be a little advanced for a 16year old, but it's a monumental political theory book. :)

Good luck with the research PFC!

Little advanced for a 16 year old, huh. Well that makes it even more interesting if it is "advance" for my age. I've heard about the book through history class and etc.

Archived