Next Battlefield and Microtransactions!?!?

Guest COMR4DE

Guest COMR4DE

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/27/ea-and-dice-will-now-sell-you-battlefield-4-battlepacks-microtransaction.aspx

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/27/report-logo-appear-for-visceral-s-battlefield-hardline.aspx

Personally I'm suprised the Microtransactions werent a built in feature to BF4 when I heard about the battle packs idea, so I actually tip my hat to EA / Dice for waiting this long to start that. Just a side note you can still earn everything in the game without buying stuff, but if you WANT you can pay 1, 2, 3 bucks respectively for the bronze, silver, gold battle packs.

And as for Battlefield Hardline, I hope this is true... Dont get me wrong im a fan of Battlefield, own EVERY game in the series, but it doesnt hurt to venture off and explore new ideas so the series. If it's more localized with Police vs gangs, and bank heists... count me in cause that sounds fun! However I feel like this is going to be a free to play game with micro transactions (think Battlefield Play 4 Free) or maybe some sort of arcady 15 buck title. My hope is they do it right and go big on it, I wasnt a huge fan of BFP4F or Battlefield Heroes to be honest.

Any thoughts?

Guest RET.COL.SilverEupher=US=
PFC, if Hardline keeps the BF flavor while introducing the cops and robbers aspect, it could be interesting. If they're just going to hand over BF4 to the new developer and reskin it with new weapons and such, I'm not sure how that's going to go over with a lot of BF4 players that can't wait for BF4 to pass.

Guest COMR4DE

Nice video find SSG!

Also the article got updated saying it is confirmed and more info will be at E3 this year, can't wait!

Big fan of police / robber urban warfare, and love all the little gadgets in BF2 SF that look like are coming back in this.

2LT, I aggree, this series CAN NOT turn into another COD, just turning out a "new" game every year, makes no sense and hope that's not the case. The fact that Visceral is making this keeps my hopes up as I love the LOTR games they made way make and all the Dead space games they made recently. We'll see

Guest RET.SFC.MissM4yhem=US=
Looks like EA confirmed Hardline will be at E3. I'm skeptical of the turn the game is taking. I just don't see as much gameplay flexibility with the cops n robbers genre... I guess we'll see more at E3, but I don't think it'll be the same, especially if it's not being made by DICE.

Guest RET.1SG.Maysin=US=
I watched the leaked trailer before it was taken down 15 minutes later :P It looks interesting, new gamemodes none of which seem to be domination or conquest, but it is a cops&robbers game so that might be hard to do. However, i feel like it's gonna be hard to make it feel like a "Battlefield" game.

Guest RhinoTech

Interestingly enough Cpl.Cidvond has told me that cops are a nuisance because they seem to always know where he is/hover in his vicinity.

Guest RET.Maj.ShadowOp=US=

This video was made on PC with Ultra settings and played on a controller (not keyboard)... I'm glad I didn't buy it (felt it wouldn't meet expectations), and hope you guys got it for less than retail. That being said, I'm sure it has it's entertainment value.

There is definitely some shortcuts that are noticeable.

However the video blatantly gets some stuff wrong, and a lot of its complaints are nit picky (speedometers don't work in cars.....oh cry me a river) or complaints that (this isn't more like GTA).

Overall I've logged several hours and I'm actually really enjoying myself. The story isn't the most original, but these days thats pretty hard to pull off. The character acting doesn't have that something something that makes games like The Last of Us so good, but at its core its not bad at all.

For $60 bucks I would probably be a bit salty, but for $40 I would say its still a good game. The campaign isn't long but if you take time to enjoy the open world and actually do stuff in between missions rather than just power grind the entire thing it will give you many many more hours.

I think my biggest qualm is the budget. For $88 million and with a team that has extensive experience on expansive titles the game seems like the game likely suffered from inefficient project management.

However, my biggest issue is that most people's biggest complaint is, "it's not enough like GTAV". I'm sorry but get over it. If you want GTAV, go play GTAV. That game was worked on by teams that had been working on that IP for literally their entire game making careers and had a budget of $265 million (a quarter of a billion dollars).

This is a new IP and I hope there are more in this universe, I think with some more work to the engine another game in this universe could really shine. For those that don't believe me, go back and play the original assassins creed and look how far that has come.

In short, buy it if it looks good to you, but don't go into it with a critical mindset or you are going to have a bad time.

Keep in mind all the above is coming from the king of cheap games that paid a reasonable price for it.

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

I think I can deny about 50% of the bugs/glitches shown in the video. I do also play on ultra, without any framedrops (without hardware near the required specs) and with the mouse.
My video has shown that it is possible to deactive the mouse acceleration, which makes it perfectly playable without a controller.

Most of the graphical glitches don't occur to me (like the fog suddenly appearing when leaving the tunnel) and my AI behavior feels different than in the video.
Some of the shown things are true though, and while I am still waiting for GTA V to finally appear on PC this is definitely an entertaining and fun game to play.

I think I can deny about 50% of the bugs/glitches shown in the video. I do also play on ultra, without any framedrops (without hardware near the required specs) and with the mouse.

My video has shown that it is possible to deactive the mouse acceleration, which makes it perfectly playable without a controller.

Most of the graphical glitches don't occur to me (like the fog suddenly appearing when leaving the tunnel) and my AI behavior feels different than in the video.

Some of the shown things are true though, and while I am still waiting for GTA V to finally appear on PC this is definitely an entertaining and fun game to play.

I'm not going to lie I get the stuttering, especially when driving. The frames will drop to 2fps then just lock for a good 3 - 4 seconds at some intersections, and my hardware is above the recommended spec. When there is no frame drop it runs silky soothe at 60+ but at certain times it will just plummet for a brief moment.

And for the M&KB controls, even after doing that the game still has negative acceleration for me when making small adjustments. When you removed those options are you sure all acceleration went away, get in game and move an inch on your mouse pad very slowly then an inch fast, does the gun go the same distance in game?

Guest RhinoTech

You're right sir, this video was created with the intent to point out every little thing that did not make this game "perfectly realistic." If we didn't do such things, we'd still be playing golden eye 007 on the n64. I'm not saying the game was a total wash from the get go, but considering the budget & time (had 8 extra months to "polish") involved combined with the promises and expectations means weighing the game from all aspects. Just because it's a good game doesn't mean it shouldn't have been better.

Wanna know which game I was truly amped for? The one game that shattered all my rainbow & unicorn fairytales of happiness into a smattering of "something went wrong... horribly horribly wrong"? BF4. The way it plays now is how I felt it should have on release. I would like to speak for everyone by saying we all went through high frustrations because of what was promised, and what was ultimately scrapped up from the bottom of the grill.

I'm holding my breath for Dayz standalone, but it's a very shallow breath and I'm ready to let it go should it turn out similar. So games like Watch Dogs that promise innovative game play, next-gen graphics, unreal physics engines, & etc just don't met out enough fuel for me to get to Excited Playa Bay. Now I just stop off at Interested-but-Wary Warf, which is closer, more economical, and more reliable.

*For those lost on my ridiculous, but oh-so-me, analogy: I'd rather wait for release to see how it goes, because I check out reviews and decide if the price is right (or wait for a sale) rather than throw money at something that really just amounts to gambling. When I spend money on a game, I have a set of expectations. To me it's not a gamble, it's a sure thing. So when they make me feel like I gambled and lost... I get ticked off.

On that note, I leave you an image concerning the development of Watch Dogs (NSFW, expletives used)

*second edit: I found a possible solution for your bad frame rates on Watch Dogs while looking for posts complaining about Watch Dog.

Yeah I saw that 4chan post from the interior designer a while ago LCpl, there are definitely some disconnects between development groups like that, but to be honest it can't be avoided in an enterprise.

I'll actually lend some argument to the exterior though, in many cities the exterior designs are more heavily regulated than interiors. In this big brother future they are trying to create i can only assume that having a rough biker exterior probably wouldn't fly with the city.

And no doubt, as someone who is a strong advocate against pre-purchasing, I'm a bit ashamed i did, but i just couldn't pass up the price i got it for.

Also this is Ubi's most pre-ordered game of all time, and I believe that may be partially why its rough around the edges. It's never good for a developer to feel like they don't need to prove a games worth, that "everyone will buy it regardless".

This is one of the reasons I will not be pre-ordering games unless I can get them for stupid discounts, even battlefield. Sure I'll buy it but they aren't going to see my money until the release.

LCpl,

lol i definitely won't deny that uplay is crap.

And thanks for the fix link i had read about that elsewhere but haven't tried it yet.

The core game is pretty good, but it definitely could have used a few more layers of polish.

Guest RhinoTech

The core game is pretty good, but it definitely could have used a few more layers of polish.

So... another 8 more months? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Whiskey-Bent

I've played the game and probably about half way through. I have enjoyed it and it was developed directly on PC. Make your money count as votes that is why I bought it right away since it wasn't ported to PC. While it was not exactly the samething they showed at E3 it is still a good game and visuals are above par, I am running everything ultra/highest settings though. 80% ratings are right for it I bet the next one will be more polished just like going from Assassins Creed to AC2. The hacking in multiplayer I enjoy.. how other players will join your game while you are running around w/o you knowing and they hack you and you have to find them and the digital trips are awesome.

Guest StubbornOx1

JUST GOT MY GTX 770! Watch Dogs came with it for free.

I will be playing with you guys soon enough.

Also, THANK YOU CAPTAIN!!!!!

Archived