Laptop for college

Guest XboxxKiller

Guest XboxxKiller

Evening gentlemen,

I was looking to buy a new laptop for college. (Yes, I want a laptop and not a desktop since I will be moving to a foreign country for college and will be staying in a hostel.) I need the laptop for two purposes, 1) Gaming and 2) Video editing. I am pursuing film production hence the video editing bit. I was planning to buy the ASUS G750JX-CV069P. I was wondering if any of you have used it. Maybe a few comments about it and suggestions if you have other laptops to recommend.

Appreciate the help

XboxxKiller

Guest CenturionOne
That's a good laptop. I mean the core i7 is definitely necessary for doing gaming and editing plus it comes with a GTX 770M and 1.5TB hard drive. Based on reviews it seems to be at the top of the list for people who want to game and do editing. The only downfall is some people find that a 17 inch laptop gets annoying to haul around. Personally I think that's nonsense, but to each his own.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest XboxxKiller
I saw the MSI GT70 DominatorPro 888, and felt it was a good option for me. It has Nvidia's gtx880m with 8 gigs of vram. From what I read online, the 8 gigs gives only a 30% performance increase as compared to the gtx 780m 4 gigs. Should I still pursue the 880m? or should i save some money and get a laptop which gives me the 780m, considering the prices will go down once the 880s are available in the market?

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
Video memory is good for larger input buffers and higher resolutions. For something like video editing, the increased frame buffer might be nice. But, even so, you probably will never use all 8 gigs unless you hook up like two or three 4k monitors. I'd probably go for the latest tech. Sure, it'll be outdated soon, but it's got 30% better performance. If you were to buy the 780m version, you'd just be even further behind the curve. What's the price difference on the two laptops?

Guest XboxxKiller
The price difference depends on the RAM that i want.. the 16 gb ram is $2100 and the 24 gb is $2400. Though the dominator has 32 gigs of ram, 3x128gb SSD in RAID 0 and 1 TB HDD (7200rpm), the 8 gigs of gtx 880m. and that costs $2699.

Archived