BF4 Montage.

Guest RET.1SG.Maysin=US=

Guest RET.1SG.Maysin=US=

Hey Clanmates!

Here is a video montage of BF4 (with music) that i made:

https://vimeo.com/88012876

I wanted to try my hand at editing as i am still learning and using a trial version of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13.0. I record using shadowplay. I figured i'd practice on my own personal videos before i move to editing videos with the Recruiting Video Team to maybe lighten the work load.

The more prominent reason i am uploading this is because i wanted some constructive feedback. Should i be using a different editing software? Are my transitions not good? Is my timing off? Should i remove something, or add something? What do you think in general as an unbiased viewer? Ultimately, I would like to try and get more videos uploaded.

Also, i uploaded to Vimeo because when i upload to YouTube it degrades the quality of the video. I record with 1080p settings and the "High" quality option in ShadowPlay. I've seen some solutions to increase the BitRate before uploading but that still doesn't work. However, Vimeo does just fine with the "HD" option selected. Any ideas or suggestions?

One last thing... please be honest with feedback, i won't take it personally. If you hate it, then let me know, i want to get better at this. :) Thanks.

Guest I7arKFoX

Nice its really good, you saying your new, the fade-ins and outs are good. Maybe just make sure to make every change in scenes a fade in to the next scene. I noticed some direct cuts to screens. Maybe fades on same maps and conversions to different maps another way of easing in, that way the viewer is not caught off guard going from shooting AEK on Shangih to Launcher on Paracel. Maybe keep ins and outs to scenes the same except for when switching to a new map. And maybe try to figure something out to best come back to a scene from a death, this way it eases the viewers eye into something new without out being too harsh to the eye and brain to keep up. The mind will likely get used to the same type of fades from scenes and their brain knows what to expect.

Now that I think of it, I bet it wouldn't be a bad idea to think of editing like a Rhythm Ex. 5 kills.. last one a slow-mo... fade out... 5 kills.. last one a slow-mo ... fade out ... (New type of Fade out for a new map) then New map ... 5 kills.. last one a slow-mo and so on...

Just to give you ideas. :D

Not saying your video is harsh to the eye or anything, I just bet that is probably a major key factor on how videos are rated (my guess)

Just my thoughts to try and help you with the focus on editing.. fyi I have no experience, just viewer experience.

Nice work! Slow mo's were cool!

Guest RET.1SG.Maysin=US=
Thanks, CPL i really appreciate the feedback. I do also think some of the hard cuts may have been a little detrimental to the viewers eyes. I think i might add in some clips that speed up and then slow down dramatically, i think it creates a cool effect. A possible second one of the way! :)

Guest Bluezoid
Nice work SGT.Maysin. The music is loud, which is neat but it drowns out the voices, don't know if it could be mixed a little differently to let you hear both. That would lessen the impact of the music though.

Guest RET.1SG.Maysin=US=

I agree with you SGT, the music is a bit loud. However, my thought process when creating the video was more about visuals, cool moments and "hype" i guess you could say. I kept the audio in the background as more of a distinguishing factor between Comp/pub play. I would lower the music volume and increase the communication volume for a more tactical video if that is what i was going for. Which, now that i've uploaded it, is something i realize people might also want to see. It is cool to hear and see how well a group of players can work together in a competition setting. That is something i'll have to think about if i make another one.

Thanks for the feedback SGT! :)

Archived