Need some serious help

Guest CenturionOne

Guest CenturionOne
Now that I'm getting more serious about gaming on my PC I've decided it's time to try and save for a new setup. Currently I just have an Alienware 14x laptop with a Naga keyboard and mouse. I also have my laptop hooked up via HDMI to a 19" TV screen. I like my keyboard and mouse, but I want to go away from the laptop setup. I need a pretty decent sized screen due to a scar on my cornea that destroyed my near sighted vision. Unfortunately for me I studied software engineering and not computer engineering so I can make programs, but god help me if I ever tried to build a computer. So I need help with understanding which processors are the best for my money as well as graphics cards and what not. I'm going to keep all my "professional" stuff on my laptop, such as word and most of my java and C++ work. So basically the new computer is going to be all gaming, one rendering program, and my movies. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and I'm so sorry for dragging this out!

I neither had the time nor the desire to build my own rig when I was in need of a new computer. I found Digital Storm, which is an awesome custom computer building company. I built a computer on their website and then researched the price of each component on newegg.com and amazingly the price was just $50 more to have Digital Storm build it rather than build it on my own. Everything was a breeze to set up and I've had absolutely zero problems with my computer in the year and a half I've owned it.

Does this post seem like a commercial? Yes it does, but I had a great experience with them and I want to pass that along.

Guest MilkyDG_sT
Guest CenturionOne
Well sir I'm willing to save up to $1500. If I were to go that high I would progressively buy the parts as I got the money rather than buy it all together

Guest CenturionOne

Okay so I went onto a site that builds a computer for you (thanks for the tip LCpl Ruen) and this is what I came up with. I don't know if I'm on the right track or if I just created a terrible computer so:

Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31

Processor: AMD A8-5600k APU 4x3.90GHz/1MB L2 cache

Cooling: Asetec 550LC Liquid Coolant with ARC Dual Silent fan upgrade

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600 Memory

Video card: GTX 770 2GB superclocked

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X 3.0 2x USB3.0

Power Supply: 650 watt XFX Core Edition Pro

Hard Drive: 1 TB hard drive 32M cache 7200 RPM 6.0Gb/s

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 7.1 Channels 192kHz/24-bit

And it would come with a pre-formatted hard drive and inboard LAN

That looks reasonable. I'd go for a bigger power supply ... 800 watt minimum and if you can afford another $70 I'd go for another 8gb ram (more memory really helps.)

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

My recommends

Processor: Intel 4670K LGA1150

MotherBoard: LGA1150 or newer

PSU: 700W or better

That AMD processor will struggle with BF4, also my recommends are to minimize cost for any future upgrading. Alot of ppl say future proofing, well I don't believe in that but I can say always build a computer so that when you upgrade it cost less and you can reuse your parts.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
Okay so I went onto a site that builds a computer for you (thanks for the tip LCpl Ruen) and this is what I came up with. I don't know if I'm on the right track or if I just created a terrible computer so:

Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31

Processor: AMD A8-5600k APU 4x3.90GHz/1MB L2 cache

Cooling: Asetec 550LC Liquid Coolant with ARC Dual Silent fan upgrade

Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600 Memory

Video card: GTX 770 2GB superclocked

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X 3.0 2x USB3.0

Power Supply: 650 watt XFX Core Edition Pro

Hard Drive: 1 TB hard drive 32M cache 7200 RPM 6.0Gb/s

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DSX 7.1 Channels 192kHz/24-bit

And it would come with a pre-formatted hard drive and inboard LAN

I'd personally stay away from AMD and especially their APUs. Look at Intel and their Haswell CPUs with something like a 4670.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
Guest CenturionOne
Well my new rig has finally been built! A big thank you to Capt.ShadowOp and 2ndLt.SilverEupher for sitting with me and helping me build it. I really appreciate the time you guys took to help me especially considering how frustrated I was getting. And thank you to the various other members who stopped by to see if I needed more help and offered encouragement when I was about to give up and thought I broke my graphics card!

Archived