Monitor/Graphics card help

Guest Bluezoid

Guest Bluezoid
So I pulled the trigger on a new AMD 7970 card which i installed on Tuesday. It has two DVI and one Display Port slots. I ran two of my monitors on Tuesday in the DVI slots with good results. last night I picked up a DVI to Display Port cord and plugged in the third monitor and things got all fouled up, causing me to miss practice. Catalyst Control Center sees the third monitor (it shows it in the monitor list but it is unchecked and dark) but the monitor is black. Also, the two montors that work have overly large displays. Do I need an anlog to digital converter here? Any ideas?

Guest d1scr337
Did my best to google this issue but no luck, i dont no much about pc's other then how to download and install games :P lots of threads mentioned a program called "eyefinity" for multiple dispays. Not sure if that helps but ill keep digging.

Guest Bluezoid
I am not at home so I can't say for sure, but it is not the monitors I think, since whichever one I hook the cord to doesn't work. I am thinking I need a digital to analog converter to make this work.

Guest RhinoTech
Since you have this option in your setup try this before buying an adapter, it might work.

Monitor 1: DVI

Monitor 2: DVI->VGA->Monitor

Monitor 3/TV : HDMI

That should avoid the limited resources issue when connecting monitors, but I haven't tested it.

What does also work is;

Monitor 1: DVI

Monitor 2: DVI or HDMI

Monitor 3: Display port passive adapter to VGA.

The reason you cannot run a passive DP to DVI is there are no more TMDS onboard to run the monitor.

If you want all three DVI, or 2 DVI and 1 HDMI then you need an active DP adapter, THAT adapter you linked to will not work for triple DVI, but you could try it for DVI+VGA+DP->DVI, but I would recommend setup one to test that first it's more likely to work without having to buy something.

Source

This may or may not help you with your triple monitor set up issues.

Guest RET.Capt.RUSHER16=US=

I have this on the analog and my next purchase will be the same in digital only run me to use a single DVI port and three monitors. This technology the've used since BF2 and tremendous alternatives. and leave the rest free for other DVI ports connections for other use(monitor no direct related to game or manage other aplication and the same time.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/displayport/

Guest RET.CPT.xXAirBorneXx=US=
Bluzoid hit me up when you get home I'll be on TS I'll help you trouble shoot, I had some issues when I first started running eyefinity as well.

Guest Bluezoid
I figured out the problem. Even though it's a digital to digital connection, if you hook up three DVI monitors you have to use an active adapter on the Display Port connection. Thanks everyone for your help trouble shooting the problem. On to BF4!

Archived