Discussion regarding a regulation

Guest DoomDude1

Guest DoomDude1

Hello members of Unknown Soldiers.

I am writing this thread not out of spite or anger, but as a genuine discussion topic. The topic at hand is regulation 100.3 or rather: "Recruits are not allowed to double clan. This means no member of =US= will be a member of another gaming community. Exceptions can be granted only by the JCS."

Now, my stand on this topic is so: If in the application form you have set time frames for people to say how much time per week will they spend on the clan, why is there an issue regarding what that applicant does with the rest of his time? Let me give an example: A week has 168 hours. Let's say I decided to devote 10-15 hours per week to =US=. That would mean I still have between 153-158 hours of my own, non-clan, free time per week. I don't see a reason why it should be anyone's concern how I spend that time.

Let me give another example, perfectly illustrating the exclusivity that this regulation provides: Say you want to eat an apple. You like apples, apples are healthy. But, if you want to eat apples, you must never eat any other fruit. Even if you take a bite of a pear or banana, your apple supply has run out. Even though you didn't get full on bananas and can't eat apples (you can still chow down on those little buggers), you lost all rights for your apples. Apples or bust.

Now, here is what people will (probably) think: "Oh, he's butthurt, he's upset, what's his problem". My particular, personal issue with my application was the fact I am a staff member of a community and a leader of another community (I will not name those, I don't advertise like that). Both of those are on different games, not competitive and have almost nothing in common with Battlefield or War Thunder. Yet, the regulation applied.

The topic is, what do you think? Not just about this regulation, but about other ones as well.

(Please note, this thread is not meant to rile up the members against the staff or to deprecate anything regarding the clan or any current or future members)

Guest RET.SFC.MissM4yhem=US=

The regulation in question isn't meant to dictate how you spend your time, it's more to ensure a certain level of security. We have things posted on the forums relating to scrim tactics and other internal matters that may have a direct relationship to other clans. If a member were multi-clanning, access to this information could lead to a conflict of interest in certain situations, and that almost always leads to some sort of drama or another. Drama is inevitable, but usually best avoided whenever possible.

Regarding your status in the other two communities: If I'm not mistaken, the regulation does allow for exceptions to be made by JCS. This is where you exclusive apple thing goes down the drain. The regulation is there to sift out the dedicated members from the people who just want another place to blow of steam. If you can show that you will be a dedicated member and your involvement with other communities will not impact your ability to fulfill your duties here, then there's a chance you might be granted an exemption (probably with some strings attached, but I don't know how these things work).

Guest DoomDude1
Yes, but such a blanket regulation covering the entire situation leads to cases like mine. And regarding the apple metaphore, my apple never made it to the JCS or I was never contacted about that. A blanket rule provides more safety but results in other cases being blanketed by it, leading to a loss of potentially valuable members. I don't know how in-depth you go when screening new applicants but I could have lied, used another username or other similar devious ways of tricking this community into believing I am someone else (A VPN, false username etc. etc.).

Guest Sterling1214
The time for these questions to be asked was before you applied to the clan, while you were reading the regulations, not after the fact. If you fail to mention something until after you are "caught" doing it, does that not imply guilt, or just intentionally withholding the information to see if you can get away with it.

Guest 112jesse112
This information hasnt been hidden from us, doomdude spoke with myself and PO2.Sagi and we send it up through the chain to get it waived. But i fear that it didnt reach the destination in time and the denial of the application was already put through.

Guest RET.SFC.MissM4yhem=US=

Supposing I'm literate here, your issue is that your application got denied. If you had read the reg and saw that exceptions could be granted, why would you apply before you had confirmed that your special case had been approved? Your posting an app too soon is on you. You've read the other regs, so you know the CoC takes time to operate. Talking about how much blanket rules stink won't help.

What will help is getting in touch with your original recruiters and asking them if it's possible to put in for a waiver and reapply once it's been approved.

Guest Normonator
Supposing I'm literate here, your issue is that your application got denied. If you had read the reg and saw that exceptions could be granted, why would you apply before you had confirmed that your special case had been approved? Your posting an app too soon is on you. You've read the other regs, so you know the CoC takes time to operate. Talking about how much blanket rules stink won't help.

What will help is getting in touch with your original recruiters and asking them if it's possible to put in for a waiver and reapply once it's been approved.

Well said.

Nothing against you, but it does seem like a bit of an oversight on your part. I'm sure if you put in the effort to get the issue resolved, then something could be worked out. These Regulations have obviously worked in the past, so I doubt one situation like this would result in the reg being changed.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

PFC.MissM4yhem is 100% correct with her posts and I agree with it. It can be seen as unfortunate that we have this blanket rule, but everyone one of our regulations has been put in place because of instances we have encountered on multiple occasions in our 10-year history as a gaming community. The "exceptions" that the regulation discusses more applies to members that have been with us and proven loyalty and devotion to =Unknown Soldiers=. Now, this is not to say that you would not be loyal/devoted, but at the same time we cannot bend this rule for someone that we know nothing about. It is nothing personal, strictly business and security.

You are correct that you could have lied/hidden/denied all of it, but sooner or later these things have a way of making its way to the surface. Without getting into a contest of who is better at what, it can be said that somehow this would be discovered and then it would only prove our point further about the double clanning issue. We also know that is is hard to balance so many activities and we would rather not have to worry about pushing a member's loyalty with other gaming communities. For example, we have clan meetings every Friday. If you have an activity come up with on of your other communities on a friday would it be fair to either group that you have to miss one of them?

As stated before the Regulation is there on a security issue, not a pride issue. I do appreciate you bringing up a discussion on the matter, as we always welcome discussions about who we are and what we stand for.

Archived