Nexus 7 - Ipad Mini - Kindle Fire HD..

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=

Looking for a device..

Multi-function which I primarily will be using for reading.. All have the Amazon Kindle app.. Do understand that each choice means you are buying into the companies ecosystem.

Already have an ipad but all my books are on Amazon for the ones I have purchased...

Anybody have any first hand experience specifically related to reading books? (Not Magazines)...

Guest FallenAfar
I have the Google Nexus (16GB) version its a nice size and weight but would need a nice leather cover, I have read books on it quiet nicely it lights up for reading etc. I cant really say much more than that, I use it for much more than reading though, I play games on it when travelling. My suggestion would be if you can is try to go to an electronic store and try them out. If you have any specific questions about it then Ill be glad to answer them.

Guest Phantomb
Bought my Grandma the kindle fire HD, taught her how to do everything DLing books, watching movies, music, email ever the odd game. Felt alot more sturdy than i thought it would.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
I have the Google Nexus (16GB) version its a nice size and weight but would need a nice leather cover, I have read books on it quiet nicely it lights up for reading etc. I cant really say much more than that, I use it for much more than reading though, I play games on it when travelling. My suggestion would be if you can is try to go to an electronic store and try them out. If you have any specific questions about it then Ill be glad to answer them.

I've got the Nexus 7 8GB version. I'd say its a brilliant tablet, and android OS really works well. You have access to the entire amazon library of books + the google play store and barnes & noble etc.. You can watch movies, browse the net and its all really easy and really fast. Setup was so simple anyone could do it.

In terms of reading books, i found the screen really good, the letters are clear and with the standard zoom/enlarge text functions.

Hello, i currently have the tf700 which runs on the same processor as the nexus 7 but just at a higher clock speed. I have been debating between nexus 7 and the ipad mini as a christmas present for my parents. Since you are mainly looking at it for reading, it comes down to the type of person you are. The Nexus 7 has a higher res screen so text will look crisper while reading books, which provides a more pleasent reading experience, the downside however is for me, i usually read pdfs and i use the apps "adobe pdf reader" and "Amazon Kindle app", both these apps on android for me are very slow when trying to flip pages or scroll around, but i am not too picky with these quirks because once you only flip the page every couple minutes. I do know people (such as my gf) who cant stand the lagginess of the apps. Also these apps do crash on quite frequently. The ipad mini on the other hand has a larger screen but a lower resolution that is painfully obvious to me because the tf700 has at 1920x1200 screen and my eyes are spoiled like that now. the ipad mini does have apps that are much more responsive for reading pdfs however and comes with the better app ecosystem in general though. Also if you plan on looking at images and stuff, the ipad mini does have better and more accurate color saturation then the nexus 7. It is up to you what you value more in a tablet, a not so buttery smooth reader than has sharper text at the cost of $200, or a buttery smooth experience with not so sharp text at the cost of $320. If price in not a factor, i say go look at the ipad mini in store and see if you dont mind the sharpness of the text for yourself, however, if price is a factor, i would go with the nexus 7 hands down. Hope this helps.

Since I already have an IPad 3 that is why I'm more interested in the reading side.. The smaller size would be be a bit friendlier to take with me. I do find that reading on an ipad puts me to sleep. Although i can do more i would use it as a reader while my ipad would continue to replace my laptop.

Archived