Great War Films/Shows Thread

Guest Snapptastic

Guest Snapptastic

I just wanted to compile a list of movies and shows about war (any war, preferably one that the USA was involved in) that people enjoyed or thought was an exceptional work of art..

My all time favorite has to be the HBO Series "Band of Brothers", about Easy Company in World War II.. Some of the bravest men to ever live. If you want to watch this series, send me a PM, I have a version you can watch.

Honorable mentions (not in any order):

1. Saving Private Ryan (Tom Hanks) - WWII

2. Rescue Dawn (Christian Bale) - Vietnam

3. The Patriot (Mel Gibson) - Revolutionary War

4. The Hurt Locker (Jeremy Renner) - Iraq War

5. Enemy at the Gates (Ed Harris and Jude Law) - Battle of Stalingrad WWII (Soviets vs Germans)

If anyone has any American Civil War films they'd recommend, I'd really appreciate it.. I was a history major and that was one of my favorite periods to study.. A truly fascinating time in our nations history.

Guest Snapptastic

+1 for Black Hawk Down.

Other less accurate versions and more Hollywood type, that I'd consider decent..

The Kingdom - Jamie Foxx

Three Kings - George Clooney

Green Zone - Matt Damon

Guest Snapptastic
LT thank you so much for those recommendations. I completely forgot about both those series' and I had always wanted to see them. I will definitely check those out.

Guest Snapptastic

Loved Letters From Iwo Jima, great story about both sides. I did see Full Metal Jacket, although I was very young when I did see it, I gotta go back and check it out again.

I just finished Band of Brothers for the third time.. It gets me so emotional. The men in Easy Company were put through hell on Earth. The most amazing part of their story, and the stories of a lot of WWII vets, is that they are so humble about what they did. It shows the very ugly side of war but in contrast, it shows the best in human character as well. What a series.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

Band of Brothers is one of my favourites, Private Ryan another amazing one. The Pacific was also really awesome but not quite as good as BoB.

Other good ones would be Jarhead (although not as serious), Black Hawk Down is great, Hurt locker i wasnt that big a fan of, Apocalypse now and The Great Escape are good war ones.

As far as British ones go off the top of my head i can't think of any, Hollywood blockbusters are always very american.

Guest Snapptastic
Commander, have you heard of "To End All Wars"? It's about a Scottish company that is captured by the Japanese. It has some American actors was well.. It's not a great movie, but it's decent. It deals more with the lives of POW's and how they make the best of their situation, etc..

Guest Treadfeather

Civil War: Cold Mountain, Glory and (a bit of a stretch but) The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

WWI: Gallipoli

WWII: Thin Red Line

Vietnam: Full Metal Jacket

Guest Snapptastic
Thin Red Line was a dud in my opinion. It was too long and way too slow in my opinion. I'll check out Cold Mountain and Glory, thanks.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
Commander, have you heard of "To End All Wars"? It's about a Scottish company that is captured by the Japanese. It has some American actors was well.. It's not a great movie, but it's decent. It deals more with the lives of POW's and how they make the best of their situation, etc..

will have to check it out, cheers!

Guest miyamotogL

The Eagle has Landed

The Winds of War and War and Remembrance*

+1 for Black Hawk Down, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan

*If you like reading, "The Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance" by Herman Wouk are fantastic books. They follow an American Navy family from the rumblings at the start of WWII right through to the end of the war. The level of historical accuracy is unparallelled. It took him 13 years to research and write the books. Read them before you watch the 12 episode mini-series. They are really long, 896 and 1056 pages respectively. IMO they should be required reading for history classes that cover World History or WW2.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Thin Red Line was a dud in my opinion. It was too long and way too slow in my opinion. I'll check out Cold Mountain and Glory, thanks.

I enjoyed the thin red line, it was the first war film i had really ever seen that depicted semi-realistic combat as opposed to terminator action sequences. The war wasn't exactly short :D.

Archived