McAfee vs. Symantec

Guest Oui230

Guest Oui230
My antivirus software is set to expire soon and I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with. My computer came with a free trial of Norton so that is what I've been using up until now. With the Army I can get either McAfee or Symantec for free but I know nothing about virus software. If any of you guys have any experience with either any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Snapptastic
Don't get either man.. get AVG Free, it's honestly the best antivirus I've ever used. and if you really wantto spend the money, you can buy the upgraded version of AVG Free.

Guest phaionix

I back Snapp, AVG is probably the best or at least one of the best anti virus systems out there. It's non-intrusive and doesn't slow down programs like a lot of anti viruses do.

PS: I have used Norton and PC-Cillin, both worked terribly for me.

Guest PFC.Hawkeye366=US=

use Avast or Trend

I use Avast on all of my machines and have not had an infection in years. I use it in combination with Malwarebytes and am all set.

I install Trend on all my clients machines either the client/server versions for those with servers and the hosted for those with 5+ units without servers.

Stand alone machines get the Trend Titanium.

Been doing IT desktop support and network installs for 10 years. Symantec used to be good but it got to heavy same with McAfee

AVG free is ok but i have still have had users get infected with it.Paid version is better.

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=
I would get the paid version so I have someone to complain to when I my pc is infected. I personally use Kaspersky as their price is often around 20 at Christmas which is really a couple if Starbucks frappuccinos...

Guest RollinThunda

If your going to pay for a anti-virus go with Hitman Pro - http://www.surfright.nl/en

Theres a free 30 trial if you like it. It's a could based network unlike most other anti virus. It gets updated instantly into the cloud. It's the worlds only cloud Anti-Malware with multiple AV Vendors. It's just the best Anti-Virus

Or if you want to pay go Kaspersky Pure. Or as a friend recommended Avast

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine

I have Mcafee and Malwarebytes. Norton in my experience is horrible, I always fix computers with Norton.

AVG is good

Trend is good as well

Microsoft Security Essentials is good also

I prefer McAfee because it can be used with three computers and I set it to see other comps on the network for update checks(there's more features but don't want to wall of text everyone).

If your tight on budget go with

AVG + Malwarebytes

Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

If your tech savy Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes is all you need.

If your looking for a large range of protection features and support, go with Kaspersky or Bit Defender. Trend micro's software has declined and produced lower detection rates than the two mentioned. Mcafee and norton have both become bloated and suffer from lower performance and lower detection rates, although thats version dependant.

Guest miyamotogL

I have used ESET Nod32 for years (just the antivirus, not their home security blah blah). It is unobtrusive and gets the job done.

In terms of the free alternatives, I would recommend MSE.

Archived