Computer is Crashing

Guest Peace

Ok so as many of you know I recently got back into the clan after a MIA due to a faulty PSU that literally caught on fire and fried my old build.

I upgraded to a i5 3570

8 gb ddr3 1333

windows 7 x64 pro

I am using the stock fan on the CPU, stock fan on the PSU, and built in fan on the GPU, I have yet to install the box fan.

With my HD 5770 1GB-128 bit GPU i get anywhere from 70 FPS-100 FPS (high to low settings)

Every now and then at random yet somewhat long periods of time (30 minutes plus) my computer will restart on its own. But only during gameplay of BF3 which I'm sure is when the power boost kicks my 3.4Ghz up to 3.8Ghz. Would it be safe to assume that my CPU is just getting too hot that it is auto restarting, I have read mostly that the stock CPU fan is not meant for gaming. Thus I am looking for something that will cool down the CPU for when it is running in 3.8GHz. I have no intention of overclocking my new processor as for the longest time I was using a Pentium 4 3.2ghz single core then upgraded to a Celeron Dual Core 2.5ghz OC'ed to 3.0ghz and now am using a quad core 3.4Ghz (3.8ghz turbo) i5 3570.

I have thought of just putting a desk fan and having it push tons of air into my open box as a cheap cooler until I can buy a proper cooling system for the CPU. If anyone has any recommendations, please suggest by all means necassary.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
Its a 1155 socket, what case do you have? This might be an overheating issue, are you getting any beeps when it begins its shut down? Is the CPU cooling fan from an old CPU? Look in your bios, how hot is the components running while idle?

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=

Like the General said, it could be a heat issue. I do have a friend who uses the stock CPU cooler without too much trouble on his i5-3570k. I'm using a Corsair H60 to cool my 3570k. I would guess that heat isn't the real issue.

I'd advise you to check that all your drivers are up to date because I've known some quirks happening with drivers that cause issues. So check those.

But, download something like HWMonitor and view the temperatures of your motherboard and CPU and download MSI Afterburner to view the GPU temperatures and power consumption. Seeing how it doesn't shut down during gaming, I doubt it's a power issue with your PSU, so heat is really the only possibility. But, it isn't giving you any advanced warnings before shutting down, so I'm a bit confused.

Archived