Aliens?

Guest Texan

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Facts :

1) The odds for life to exist on our planet or any other planet are ASTRONOMICALLY small

2) The universe is infinite

3) In an infinite timespace even the most astronomically small possibility becomes real sometime/somewhere

>> therefore : aliens exist for sure

Point 1 - Ridiculously true. Far too many factors to the possibility of life for it to be all that likely. The habitable zone in a solar system is very very narrow, and even accounting for a certain amount of flexibility in that region, the actual makeup of any planet in that zone reduces the odds even further. That doesn't even get into the topic of the odds of amino acids combining in just the right way, at just the right time to form any life at all.

Point 2 - Debatable :) The universe being infinite is only one viewpoint. The other is that while the universe is expanding, the method in which it's expanding throws a bit of a wrench into the "already infinite" idea... it's not objects moving away from some exact universal center. General relativity says two arbitrarily chosen galaxies (for example) are at rest relative to each other. It's the space in between them that's expanding, causing them to appear from a third party observer perspective as if they are moving away from each other. What makes it deceptive is that their apparent speeds seem to be much much greater than the speed of light. However, that's only because by observing the two galaxies, we're now placing them in a frame of reference, not actually defining their velocity.

That being said, within the universe itself space (and time) is bounded by finite dimensions. Red shift being what it is, it's a certainty that the universe is expanding, so if the universe is infinite, what is it expanding into? ;)

Point 3 - The multiverse hypothesis is a fascinating one. It presupposes that the multitude of possibilities at each moment actually occur, and in fact are what create the "layers" in the multiverse. If the hypothesis is ever demonstrated in more than a pro forma mathematical way, it really blows the lid quite a ways off of how we define "the universe". It's so much easier to subscribe to a linear model :D

Prowler, I wish you lived just down the street so we could meet up for coffee...

Guest PainKiller

I think here we are all talking about aliens that can walk and talk and are like us or w/e but an alien or ET can be as small as a bacterium or a simple plant. in THAT case, I think life could exist here in our own solar system, I mean lots of our planets AND moon's have liquid water and other elements, and here on earth we see life forms living in the strangest of places. so in that fact I think it's safe to say we all agree that life is out there in our own galaxy maybe it is even full of life. but the chance that there is intelligent life that can destroy us or is like us, is very very very small.

just my opinion =P

Guest xprowlerx
That doesn't even get into the topic of the odds of amino acids combining in just the right way, at just the right time to form any life at all.

Point 2 - Debatable :) The universe being infinite is only one viewpoint. The other is that while the universe is expanding, the method in which it's expanding throws a bit of a wrench into the "already infinite" idea... it's not objects moving away from some exact universal center. General relativity says two arbitrarily chosen galaxies (for example) are at rest relative to each other. It's the space in between them that's expanding, causing them to appear from a third party observer perspective as if they are moving away from each other. What makes it deceptive is that their apparent speeds seem to be much much greater than the speed of light. However, that's only because by observing the two galaxies, we're now placing them in a frame of reference, not actually defining their velocity.

That being said, within the universe itself space (and time) is bounded by finite dimensions. Red shift being what it is, it's a certainty that the universe is expanding, so if the universe is infinite, what is it expanding into? ;)

Well the devil’s advocate has to say that life doesn’t really need to use the same building blocks as here on earth...e.g. R-amino acids instead of L oriented or something completely different...remember the recent discovery of prokaryotes in a lake in US that can use arsenic or phosphorus or both to build their nucleic acids (DNA)...which is mind-blowing. That makes the odds for life in different conditions a bit higher.

I agree that Infinite was not exactly the right word to use ...I meant big enough to have fulfil all the trial-error possibilities until it makes life possible somewhere/sometime.

But I have to disagree that general relativity shows that space’s expansion is what causes the relative movement of galaxies. General relativity is what establishes that space is a dynamic physical entity (it’s not ‘nothing’) as real as any other physical object and it’s actually relatively bound to time. The more you have of one the less you have from the other. Unlike Neuton that consider space static with no effect on matter, space in G.R. is shown to counteract with matter and actually providing the substrate for gravity. Yes general relativity sais that you can bend and twist space according to the mass and spin of a body at a specific point in space but Inflation is the theory that started this debate about space getting expanded. The redshift discussed as a consequence in G.R. is basically the gravitational deceleration of light travelling close to a massive body. Einstein tried to correct for this the movement of the galaxies by introducing the almost arbitrary ‘comsological constant’ in his equations as an opposing force to gravity. However there is a huge debate about that constant which I don’t understand.

And even inflation didn’t say that explicitly (the space expansion thing). They simply don’t know if space is expanding in the context of getting more ‘diluted’ or if more space is generated. They only talk about this faster-than-light expansion of space for the first moments after the big bang (they don’t know when or how inflation ends) . If we accept that space is to blame for the relative motion then it’s not only the space in between galaxies that is getting more or more diluted but also the space within every single atom in you or your observation instrument. Therefore there is no way for us to observe something like this unless we look from a static state outside the universe.

The accelerating expansion of the universe is due to what they call dark energy which accounts for more than 80 % of the total energy/mass in the uni. (and we simply don’t know what it is). Having said that if you project the future of the uni to eternity then everything is so far apart that you have nothing to measure distance or time relatively to. Time and space become meaningless but at the same time you know that you have an infinitely expanded universe...

Infinity and Nothing become equal notions. Dimensionless reality actually... >> Dimensions might change in number from very low to huge-infinite if they adapt the multiverse scenario.

I ll buy you a pint (or Jack Daniels) LT if you ever come down to London...:P

Guest Texan

^^ yall make me feel stupid lol.

Another topic, would the Aliens kill us with dieses like us humans do to each other all the time, or would they just press a button and poof no earth....i know one thing iam going to madbutchers house! lock n load!

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
I think here we are all talking about aliens that can walk and talk and are like us or w/e but an alien or ET can be as small as a bacterium or a simple plant. in THAT case, I think life could exist here in our own solar system, I mean lots of our planets AND moon's have liquid water and other elements, and here on earth we see life forms living in the strangest of places. so in that fact I think it's safe to say we all agree that life is out there in our own galaxy maybe it is even full of life. but the chance that there is intelligent life that can destroy us or is like us, is very very very small.

Well the devil’s advocate has to say that life doesn’t really need to use the same building blocks as here on earth...e.g. R-amino acids instead of L oriented or something completely different...remember the recent discovery of prokaryotes in a lake in US that can use arsenic or phosphorus or both to build their nucleic acids (DNA)...which is mind-blowing. That makes the odds for life in different conditions a bit higher.

Well said to both.

Having said that if you project the future of the uni to eternity then everything is so far apart that you have nothing to measure distance or time relatively to. Time and space become meaningless but at the same time you know that you have an infinitely expanded universe...

Infinity and Nothing become equal notions. Dimensionless reality actually... >> Dimensions might change in number from very low to huge-infinite if they adapt the multiverse scenario.

It's less the mechanics of expansion so much as the result of expansion that I was actually going after. It was a bit misleading with the two-galaxy example. In your stated result of an infinitely expanded universe guaranteeing all possible events, and then also adopting multiverse, unless we also bring in some kind of existential standpoint, none of that actually says it's any more likely for "our timeline" to have any expectation of encountering intelligent alien life. There's no way of knowing that at some point in the past a divergent timeline didn't split from some event, making it impossible for us to meet aliens. We wouldn't experience all possible outcomes, so much as knowing that they are, in fact, possible.

Another topic, would the Aliens kill us with dieses like us humans do to each other all the time, or would they just press a button and poof no earth....i know one thing iam going to madbutchers house! lock n load!

I miss talking about cosmology and "what's out there" kind of things - it's been since early college, and it's like an irresistible urge to keep posting on this. I guarantee Prowler is much more educated than me on everything we've been talking about. It's simply been too long, and I haven't kept studying, but it's always possible that I'll find a small crack that he didn't see before ;)

After watching Contagion, I'd rather take the "poof". At least we might be able to go find their button and blow it up before they can press it.

Guest Texan
i kinda hope it will turn out like battle los angles...with bad acting lol but no rly a fighting chance and our weapons can kill them.

Guest PainKiller

I was watching a science show on science chan and they pretty much said, if aliens come to us, the chances of them being peaceful is VERY slim, and as they said "it would be just like Us when we came to the Americas for the first time, and what we did to the Indians, for resources and expansion" There are so few planets like ours that if they found us, chances are they would destroy us to make a new home for them

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
I was watching a science show on science chan and they pretty much said, if aliens come to us, the chances of them being peaceful is VERY slim, and as they said "it would be just like Us when we came to the Americas for the first time, and what we did to the Indians, for resources and expansion" There are so few planets like ours that if they found us, chances are they would destroy us to make a new home for them

Which, not to ruffle any feathers, is why I'm surprised NASA an American based program is in charge of searching for extra terrestrial life. Like Texan said, shoot first ask questions later. Well fantastic, pretty much a typical American view of these sort of things.

Not to say aliens will be the same if found, but I love it how they assume they will be hostile like the US would be to them. Pretty hilarious IMO, we have no way in the slightest of knowing their behaviour yet they base their predictions on a large majority of sci fi alien films hahaha.

Guest Optiklown

I've seen many interviews with NASA astronauts, and aliens usually get brought up at one point or another. From what I've seen they just aren't sure what an alien life lifeforms intentions would be. But most agree that if they did end up being hostile, there is very little we could do about it. If they could travel to earth their technology would be way ahead of ours.

With all due respect though, not really sure shoot first ask questions later is the typical American way of thinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Guest RET.MG.Qotsa=US=
Point 1 - Ridiculously true. Far too many factors to the possibility of life for it to be all that likely. The habitable zone in a solar system is very very narrow, and even accounting for a certain amount of flexibility in that region, the actual makeup of any planet in that zone reduces the odds even further. That doesn't even get into the topic of the odds of amino acids combining in just the right way, at just the right time to form any life at all.

Point 3 - The multiverse hypothesis is a fascinating one. It presupposes that the multitude of possibilities at each moment actually occur, and in fact are what create the "layers" in the multiverse. If the hypothesis is ever demonstrated in more than a pro forma mathematical way, it really blows the lid quite a ways off of how we define "the universe". It's so much easier to subscribe to a linear model :D

Prowler, I wish you lived just down the street so we could meet up for coffee...

Kaoss is an alien, He's clearly just trying to cover it up here ^ Watch this guy ; )

Guest MadButcher
The way I look at it is that if God made aliens then there is aliens if he didn't then there is not aliens. If there is I have no beef with them unless they do something to me. If it goes badly then my 300WBy mag is shooting Siera Matchkings that wiegh 180 grains at 3200 FPS and I havnt seen anything have a teribly great day after being shot with it.

Guest xprowlerx
The way I look at it is that if God made aliens then there is aliens if he didn't then there is not aliens. If there is I have no beef with them unless they do something to me. If it goes badly then my 300WBy mag is shooting Siera Matchkings that wiegh 180 grains at 3200 FPS and I havnt seen anything have a teribly great day after being shot with it.

speaking of God creating life

watch this artificial ''jellyfish'' made from heart tissue... :P it just came out today and If anyone is interested I can send you the actual research paper...

There are many more examples where biologists in my field (synthetic biology) are accused of ''playing God''

other examples are :

The first organism that operates with a completely chemically synthesised genome.

Reprogrammed bacteria that detect - invade and kill cancer cells

Reprogrammed bacteria to make biopixels :P

Guest Sagilevy

i think thet if they would come all thet way to our planet it wont be just to kill us they might do thet but if they come and if they are aggresive they probbly want our planet or water or to make us slaves i mean i wouldnt do all thet job to blow some thing up btw cool jellyfish

Guest Rastadubz

if they wanted to kill us, they would've done that in ancient times, :D

I bet they are just observing us, making sure we don't screw up this planet with nukes.

Guest PainKiller
if they wanted to kill us, they would've done that in ancient times, :D

I bet they are just observing us, making sure we don't screw up this planet with nukes.

Agreed, IF they are already here, and if they have been for a long time now, chances are they DON'T want to destroy us, but I do not think they have the intention to just say "hi" I think they might want us to get to a state of world peace or w/e where the world is one kinda like in Futurama or the halo games. so that they can use us to help them in their wars, or to use us as slaves, idk i am just throwin stuff out there, i mean it sounds dumb but when i play games like spre, where in some cases i am the alien, I often times help advance a civilization to have them join me later on, OR I destroy them and take the planet... really thats what it is =P

Guest RET.CPO.Čeh=US=
Or mybe they are just like the Reapers in Mass Effect. They are observing and studying us and when we get to the certain level of development (probably equal or better than theirs) and then they'd just send us back to the stone age. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PainKiller
Or mybe they are just like the Reapers in Mass Effect. They are observing and studying us and when we get to the certain level of development (probably equal or better than theirs) and then they'd just send us back to the stone age. :D

Agreed, to be totally honest i kinda hope that aliens exist and that they are actually the reason why we are alive / advanced through time. kinda like those crazy conspiracy things like Leonardo was an alien and the Egyptians were aliens. idk, I just like to think about it, allows my mind to roam free. But I do agree that if they are already here, they have a much higher purpose for letting us survive as long as we have

Archived