Pc won't start...

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=

Not sure what is going on, or maybe I'm scared to admit what is going on..

Been having PC issues where my computer overheats.. During BF3 pc temp would go to 98c.. Moved fans reapplied thermal paste and it maxed out at 72c..

This week same problem.. Reversed intake fan to exhaust and temp went down to 92c.. Reapplied thermal paste, and...

PC starts and then shuts off.. Then restarts, but never posts or boots..Trying to figure out what is the best way to troubleshoot.. Thinking my CPU died but since I don't have a replacement not sure how to confirm this..

Guest Texan
sounds like RROD with xbox, my two cents is the heat sink tightened down too much or too little i found out the the thermal paste wouldnt connect or wouldn't over connect to the heat sink and wouldn't post

Interesting...when I first started it up, noticed that it would not post.. Checked the screws an noticed they werent tightened.. Retightened same problem.. As it is firmly locked in to its slot on the MB, don't think I over tightened..

Removed thermal paste again and readied same problem..

So dont think it's thermal paste issue for now..

Shucks.. Removed RAM and it started.

Good news.. Now back to figuring out the overheating....

Thanks Texan

Okay.. That problem appears solved.. Almost..

But my initial problem was my PC overheating..

I'm running

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan

MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual

POWERSUPPLY: * 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB 16X PCIe Video Card

HD OCZ 120 GB SSD

HD Seagate 3 TB

Wondering now if my HL60 is sufficient.. It was during the first 6 months... Or if my SSD is generating 'too' much heat.. (128C as per speedfan)

Any thoughts?

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

Your SSD shouldn't be generating a lot of heat. No moving parts, so most of the heat typically caused by HDD's is eliminated. It'll still get a little warm, but it shouldn't get super hot.

/** EDIT: Assuming the OCZ is either an Agility or Vertex, it shouldn't get all that hot **/

Take a look at this thread: http://www.computerforum.com/202315-corsair-h60-liquid-cooler-problem-2.html

Same cooling system, same symptoms, same max temps on a faulty unit. Ended up RMA-ing the unit. Do you have the stock cooler still from your i7? If you're not OC the CPU, then the stock cooler is definitely sufficient for the i7 while you get the RMA process going.

Good link by the way... Wish I had known how to test if the pump on my H60 had failed earlier

Archived