Comp build help

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Ok guys, so now that we are moved in and things are settling down, I should be back soon.

The next important piece of business here at home is a new Comp that can handle BF3 :)

Here's the catch I have never built one, and comp knowledge isn't my forte (I know, I can perform surgery on people's nerves/faces yet building a comp..not so much haha).

That being said, i am looking for a build that will last me a bit, as room to be upgraded if needed but not kill my budget. Thoughts?

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

h4 your really being helpful here, how about being reasonable.

General probably the best thing to do if you dont know what to get, look at a retail pc site and just copy down all the parts they have in a set pc - then buy them all seperately yourself. It's the best way to start if you really have no idea what you want.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
I would like to stay around $600-$700, but I can go as high as $900-$1000 is need be.

How well do you want to play the game?

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Thanks for the advice guys, I used to be up on this, I knew what I was doing with my old one, but that was like 7 years ago haha.

CDR: I actually have been doing that, but I start to settle on something and then think "maybe that's not enough power for what I am looking for" I just don't want to buy a vid card for like $100 and then the next year need to upgrade it.

Spartan: I would love to play it at highest settings, if not close to highest w/o problems....I would like a comp that will last me 5 years with only adding/changing small things here and there like vid card or ram.

I guess some other specific questions would be, what is a good Vid card to look at w/o being rediculous and Intel vs AMD processors/what is a good one....like is the i7 too costly for the function?

Guest RET.CW2.POLLVX=US=

What do you have the you will reuse? Do you need a monitor?

These parts are recommended by most hardware websites as the best for the money:

Processor

Intel Core i5-2500k ($220)

Motherboard

ASRock P67 PRO3 ($90)

RAM

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (2x4GB) ($50)

GPU

AMD 6850 1GB (~$160)

HDD

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM ($85)

Case + Power Supply

Corsair Carbide 400R + CX600R Power Supply ($145)

Operating System

Windows Home Premium 64bit ($100)

That totals to $850. Throw another $50 for optical drive and various bits will bring you to $900.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

u can unlock the 6850 bios though, which makes it a 6870 for free. i thought anyway.

General do you need to get another monitor or windows?

u can unlock the 6850 bios though, which makes it a 6870 for free. i thought anyway.

They started making 6950's that fixed that "problem". You can only do it now if you get one from a private owner or shop now that might still have them in stock.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

No monitor or windows needed :)

Guest RET.CW2.POLLVX=US=
No monitor or windows needed :)

Well, the build I proposed would come to about $800 and should be able to run BF3 very well. You could trim down about $100 with a lower priced case, processor, hdd, and power supply.

Guest LTC.DentalMav=US=

Thanks Pollvx!!! I am actually researching and pricing this as we speak..... thoughts on maker for the GPU? Anyone have a better experience than with another like with XFX or gigabyte etc?

What do you have the you will reuse? Do you need a monitor?

These parts are recommended by most hardware websites as the best for the money:

Processor

Intel Core i5-2500k ($220)

Motherboard

ASRock P67 PRO3 ($90)

RAM

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 (2x4GB) ($50)

GPU

AMD 6850 1GB (~$160)

HDD

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM ($85)

Case + Power Supply

Corsair Carbide 400R + CX600R Power Supply ($145)

Operating System

Windows Home Premium 64bit ($100)

That totals to $850. Throw another $50 for optical drive and various bits will bring you to $900.

Guest RET.CW2.POLLVX=US=

Not a problem sir!

Really, it doesn't matter who manufactures the card, as they're all similar. The differences are going to be in cooling, overclocking, and warranty. XFX has a double lifetime warranty, meaning you can sell it to someone and they will retain the lifetime warranty. I've heard great things about them. You could also look at cards with more than one fan. Usually multiple fans means they can run at lower speeds thereby lowering noise levels...if you're concerned with such things.

I do highly recommend Corsair cases. I've used them on two computer builds and they're worth the money. The wire management is outstanding and they never have problems with spacing for large video cards.

I've been visiting Tom's Hardware Guide since the late 1990's and they still have the best hardware information.

Archived