Grinding Noise

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

So a couple of minutes ago this grinding noise started in my PC, its not my hard drive and im sure its my CPU fan. It sounds like the fan itself is grinding against its housing which sounds weird but its like metal on plastic kind of sound. The sound of a fan grinding as you can imagine, kind of like when you cut metal if you know what i mean but not as bad or loud,

Now i can't see anything because its all hidden under dell's CPU shroud and if i take it off im kind of worried that the entire system will stop working, its around 6-7 years old already and im having the occasional CPU freeze ups.

A few hours ago i started smelling burning plastic/rubber and i opened up my case but there was no smoke, and now the smell has gone but this grinding noise started. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Is my PC finally dieing?

Should i be worried?, as in run to back up my data worried?

EDIT: It's getting louder and louder. Starting to sound like car engine failing to start but not in a good way. That kind of on/off on/off grinding noise.

Guest Tincup
it sounds like you computer has overheated and the plastic of the fan has warped, and you you should probably back up your data just incase. other than that it might be that something has gotten in and is obstructing the fan and its gone off balance

Hmnn well there's no way i can replace the fan as its one of dell's propriety models that they conveniently don't stock anymore.

Guest Mythos

I agree with RT.Tincup. Alltho I had the same issue on my old computer. If you got any cooling paste. Remove your fan and clean it. Then reatatch coolingpaste and your good to go.

That sound are highly lickly to be dust aswell as a messed up fan.

Guest Mythos
Do not vacume, this is becouse you can make your PC static from it and you can frie your CPU, motherborde etc.

Guest RET.Maj.Skyler=US=

To find the problem: You need to blow air at it was a air bottle. Also I would put your ear to each one of your fans, HD, and CPU tell you find out where its coming from by where it is loudest. OR you can just unplug each fan and hard drive and plus them in 1 by one(make sure you turn off your computer before plugging/unplugging anything)

My 5Inch fan died on my PC due to it being loose and the blades started to touch the plastic casing so i had to unplug it.

Guest RET.Col.TMI=US=
i have a couple old dell computers with the green housing/fan. what model do you have and send me a picture. i may have an extra

Archived