Dang Tornados

Guest RET.2ndLt.Crbstmp4Gsus=US=

Eastern Iowa just had several tornadoes pass through. Damaged doesn't appear to be to bad but Iowa City/Coralville still holds it's title as the tornado shield for the area. Had one pass about 3-5 miles behind my apartment building. My brother and I were watching the storm pass north of us when the weather reporter said what we were looking at was indeed the tornado(weather cam showed an image of my apartment complex and the tornado in the background). Sadly, I was not able to find my camera in time but it sounds like we are getting ready for round two here in the next hour, so my camera will be ready for it.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Yep, we're getting ready for it here in Champaign-Urbana, IL. My wife and I were just going over our plan should a tornado actually spin through. Our building was actually a completely remodeled barn, so it's old on the outside but new on the inside. We'll have to make a sprint to a different building in the apartment village. The watch is supposed to last until 4 this morning.

Ended up not getting hit a second time in my area. Heard things are pretty bad in Joplin Missouri though.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110522/WEATHER/110522012/Joplin-suffers-direct-hit-from-tornado-24-deaths-confirmed-thus-far?odyssey=mod|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE

<--- tower cam in Joplin, not the best quality as its a video recording of the Joplin news feed. But you can see how bad it was.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Dominican republic seem to had anual tornedos' date=' i still remember Andrew the most[/quote']

If it has a name like Andrew, are you sure you mean tornado and not hurricane? Man, people who deal with hurricanes on a yearly basis are a hardy lot. I definitely could not look hurricanes in the face annually.

We were also in the clear. From what I saw on the radar it looks like we were right in between two fronts, each of which passed us by.

Archived