Lol at the playstation network

Guest RastaGanja

Guest RastaGanja

After a week of mysterious outages and two days of almost total downtime, Sony has finally admitted that the PlayStation Network was the victim of a hack attack. While "maintenance" has been the official corporate line, Sony communications boss Patrick Seybold has revealed otherwise.

"An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services," he admitted. "In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority.

Sorry for anyone who plays the PS3 but this is to LOL...PSN -0 , Hackers - 1

Sorry for posting this twice but i didn't mean to post in wrong area first time.

Guest RET.Capt.Covert=US=
I don't really do anything online for PS3 anyway. No big loss to me lol. Online gaming on consoles is lame anyway. As long as I can play my occasional Madden game, I'm good to go. Though, it does make 8-Ball's trade the PS3 in for a 360 so we can play NBA 2K11 Idea that much more attractive.

Guest RastaGanja
i guess it's cause i just despise playstation cause i couldnt get one as a kid lol, had my nintendo, then my epic n 64 playstation cant touch those!!!! but yeah pc games ftw i agree with Covert totally lol, might be one game out theres like...God of War MAYBE but thats it for me with ps3.

Guest xSigmaOnex
From what my brother has told me, the group Anonymous was upset about the law suits towards some guy (George Hotz) so they created some software that people could download. This software sends out requests through the Playstation Network in mass amounts from users computers. So much, that the PSN can't handle the requests and has to drop them. Apparently this caused Sony to take down the PSN for a few days at a time. I don't know how accurate I'm being, it's just what my brother told me.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=

George "GeoHot" Hotz = no life.

Anonymous = no life.

PS3 Online = pretty terrible compared to pc.

Therefore if my maths is correct this means 0+0+-5 = -5.

PC= OVER 9000

therefore:

PC is 8995 times better. Anyone care to disagree?? :D

Guest iScopEzZz

I dont have a Playstation 3, so this isnt really affecting me :D

I stopped buying Playstation's at the Playstation 2 :D

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=

Anonymous = no life.

PS3 Online = pretty terrible compared to pc.

Therefore if my maths is correct this means 0+0+-5 = -5.

PC= OVER 9000

therefore:

PC is 8995 times better. Anyone care to disagree?? :D

According to your logic then the PC is OVER 8995 times better. :) There I must disagree with your original statement of the PC being 8995 times better.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Anonymous = no life.

Gatta disagree about George Hotz. I've known and followed his blog way before the PS3 stuff went down (he was an amazingly skilled iPhone hacker and the first to unlock the iPhone). Calling him out for tinkering with a product he owned is ridiculous. He is in all respects an amazing natural hacker. He knows things that Electrical and Computer engineers don't know after 10 years in industry. I don't want to sound like a fan boy but he didn't do anything wrong.

Anon is a collective mass, there may be a handful of people who guide it, but it will always fall on the "hive mind" to carry out the actions if they agree with the situation. Instead of holding conferences or meetings they interact via IRC and certain web sites. They have an ideology just like many groups and organizations they just have a different kind of resource at their disposal. Saying they have no life because they spend a lot of time on the computer would be saying most gamers have no lives.

Also this whole PSN thing is actually due to a enormous hole in the PSN. Here is a summery of what is/has happned:

The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug (http://rebug.me). It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to). Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out by 3rd parties (not Rebug) to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content. Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

Think what you will of hackers but they expose these massive holes in systems. Its the developers fault for not using better security/programming techniques. PSN is down because Sony did a crappy job of implementing it based on several assumptions. Now its biting them in the ass.

Personally due to everything Sony has showed in the last few months I am fairly certain I will not be buying any of their products anytime soon. They tried everything to screw geohot because they probably saw this coming. They wanted a locked down system because they didn't have the proper foundation for anything outside of their control. That's just bad programming and bad business.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Its the developers fault for not using better security/programming techniques.

+1

The big problem is that the big name manufacturers and game dev studios all employ rapid development, so they count on release day patches and an easy support framework rather than a secure/well designed product. Check This business with Activision for an example of what happens every day with the big names.

the constant need to appease to the shareholders may just be Activision’s biggest downfall. “Activision is willing to cut 500 jobs every year just to meet the profit expectations they promised to their shareholders

By no means is Activision the only company that does this. They all do. And that's the kind of attitude that also leads to the huge security holes the Capt was talking about. The whole thing stinks tbh.

Guest RET.2ndLt.Crbstmp4Gsus=US=
Hackers that do what they do to benefit society or expose security issues I can dig. But hackers that do what they do just to be D-bags or force ideals on others because in their minds the cause is just deserve no remorse and a swift execution. (harsh I know) I support what Hotz did but fact is he broke the law. Solution = exercise the right to petition your local representatives to have the law changed. :razz:

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Hotz did NOT break the law. I suggest you look further into the case and see the final ruling. Imagine if Sony sued you for figuring out a way to make YOUR (purchased by you with your money) PS3 better? Think of it in a broad scale, Sony tried to sue him for doing nothing but tinkering with his own legally purchased device. A similar situation would be if Apple sued you for jailbreaking your iphone/ipad/itouch. Breaking the law and voiding your warranty are 2 very different things.

True. However, Sony and the courts see it differently. When purchasing the PS3 you buy the rights to use it, not alter sony's software as they still claim legal rights to it.(No I do not agree with it but that's how it is) Odds are Sony would not have even noticed him if he wouldn't of made his actions so public. He is a victim of his own ego on this one. And yes after looking at the ruling he did break the law as the court stated, though he merely got a slap on the wrist and told not to do this and that from now on. http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/3:2011cv00167/235965/127/ Why didn't Hotz just build his own gaming system if he wanted it to be super special? I have never seen the point in Moding a PS3 or XBOX, Why risk copyright infringement when you can just build a PC and achieve even more greatness without the risk of being sued or banned from said network.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

The reason he started hacking the PS3 was because they removed OtherOS, which allowed people to install Linux (or other) OS's on their PS3. This was a hyped feature about the playstation when it first came out, in fact the Air Force used them to build a super cluster but got screwed over by Sony because they removed it

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/how-removing-ps3-linux-hurts-the-air-force.ars

Hotz is one of many people who believe if you purchase something it is yours and you can do what ever you want with it. Also by removing a feature that people used, completely and without any way around and said "tough ****", is completely unfair. What if one day they didn't like netflix and got rid of it in an update and to play on PSN you HAD to update is that fair?

He didn't break the law that's why he got off so easy, if Sony actually had a case then they would've made an example out of him. They spent a lot to get him to court they wouldn't throw it all away for him to say "i won't do it again".

"Hotz is one of many people who believe if you purchase something it is yours and you can do what ever you want with it." That's exactly what the argument comes down to. I agree with this however at the same time you have to see where Sony is coming from. They designed and built the PS3 not Hotz. If he wants the full free range to do what he wants with copyrighted materials then he needs to design and build his own from scratch or pay for the rights to do so. At the same time when a person makes the initial purchase of the PS3 and agrees to the license terms and agreements, said person agreed Sony still had full rights to the machine. The consumer has the choice whether to agree or not agree to those terms, of course if you don't you can't access their network or games. Bullsh*t I agree, but Hotz admitted his own guilt if he agreed to those terms. You can't agree to a contract and then turn around and act like it doesn't exist whether you morally agree with it or not. Imagine if he had done this to the XBOX and caused that network to go down for an extended period of time. Millions of paying users S.O.L and he would have been liable for that down time. Sony made a wise decision not to nail Hotz to a cross because of the potential backlash from the gaming community and hacker community.

I feel like a huge hypocrite with this statement :p

Guest RastaGanja

Lol i think we should all line an shoot eachother in the face the way this debate is going, i made the thread to laugh at sony...not state laws...PSN is fail. end of discussion

CPL PWNS :D

LoL, nothing wrong with a little healthy discussion but yes PSN fails is a good general summary. Oddly enough the new south park was all about terms and conditions for Apple users lmfao

Guest RET.Capt.Covert=US=
So since the info has been stolen, I tried to go log into PSN online at the site and when i go click sign in it says the site certificate is not valid. I'm guessing they got to the site online too huh? All I wanna do is remove/change my info so its no longer in the PSN files.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

I agree with what Xander said 100%. Most end users simply don't care about their devices as long as everything is served to them on a plate all neatly packed and labeled. For software and hardware engineers that's simply not enough, whats on the plate is not representative of what the console is capable of. Intel allows users to OC their hardware but what if one day intel said were not allowing any over clocking anymore for security reasons, there would be huge outcry's from gamers. Its not simply a case of saying "lets go to Xbox now", you've already got and bought about $1000 worth of hardware and then Sony decides "ok were going to start taking features away from you". Not fair right?, well according to the terms and conditions you agreed to when you bought the product their well in their right to do this. This is where Geroge Hotz comes in, he can be likened to Julian Assange. Geohotz simply modified his own hardware and told others about it, this isn't a breach of contract as he did not distribute or sell his ideas or in anyway effect the IP rights of Sony he simply pointed a finger at sony and they, like any big organisation decided to chop it off and take him to court for the rest of his body.

I don't like to call it "brainwashing" because then everyone thinks of extremist organisations but that is essentially what is happening, centuries ago if the same thing happened there would be wars and uprisings but there has been a change and now everyone is happy to take things that are unfair on the chin. Whether it be something simple like copyright laws or something on large scales like rising taxes.

But back on topic im sure Sony will be pulling its hair out because if anybody's credit information is used they have a right to sue Sony for not protecting their information which in their contract states will not be distributed to third parties. "Distributed" referring to the illegal obtaining of this information.

Sony in a few words ---->>> http://i.imgur.com/gyqHh.jpg

Archived