Radeon 6870 for Battlefield 3?

Guest h4344

Guest h4344

im currently running a radeon 5770 for bad company 2 maxed out but i doubt that will suffice for Battlefield 3. any thoughts on other cards i should look at?

Edit:I also forgot to ask if anyone knew if the 6870 would even fit in my case. (Antec 902) Ty for any help :)

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Good pick but I'd recommend breaking into the 69xx series if at all possible. Also, I'm still waiting to find out how much BF3 will use tessellation. If it's pretty heavy (since that's one of the major selling points of DX11) and that's important, I'd recommend going the Nvidia route as they are generally much better designed for it.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
I wouldn't pre-prepare for BF3 this early, by the time BF3 actually comes out the price of your card is likely to be cheaper so its better to buy then that now. The only thing i would say is start now if you planning to upgrade your entire system.

Guest RET.Capt.DoggyRanger=US=

Doesn't that seem kind of aggressive?

The rigs required to power this game seem to be prohibiting it's success.

Is there some where we can get the proposed respective specs.

Otherwise I'm buying Nvidia stock tomorrow.

Edit:I also forgot to ask if anyone knew if the 6870 would even fit in my case. (Antec 902) Ty for any help

No thats a mid tower case and i can almost guarantee that the case is too short and it wouldn't fit a 6870

Guest h4344
Ok well based off what SFC.thievingsix said about my case being too short ill ask my freind to let me try to fit his in my machine and see how it goes if not very well then ill probly go with a 5870 since its double the power of my current 1 and is a little shorter then the 6870.

If you really wanted to go with the 6870 you could remove the hdd bays that are in the way of the GFX card. If you do this you can fit almost any card the only drawback is that you won't be able to see the entire card.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=
I don't think anyone has any idea of what the required specs for BF3 are. I don't know much about hardware, but if you really want to prepare for BF3 you should just start saving money right now. I wouldn't spend $200+ on a piece of hardware when your selection would be based completely on conjecture. It'd suck for you to buy the wrong card and have to buy a different one when BF3 releases because you jumped the gun.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
I don't think anyone has any idea of what the required specs for BF3 are. I don't know much about hardware, but if you really want to prepare for BF3 you should just start saving money right now. I wouldn't spend $200+ on a piece of hardware when your selection would be based completely on conjecture. It'd suck for you to buy the wrong card and have to buy a different one when BF3 releases because you jumped the gun.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You may think you are badass for buying an awesome card for BF3 now, but by the time it comes out you could get the next gen for the same price and yours for 40% cheaper. Sit on that $200-300 as it will buy you better hardware in 5 months time.

People are thinking this game will break the bank when it comes to hardware like the original Crysis did. It won't, they have been working hard on the frostbite engine since the original bad company. The Cryengine when it came out was brand new and buggy (like BC1 was at times) and has been perfected to allow a broader range of hardware. BF3 will be the same. You may not get to max graphics but it won't affect gameplay, many members turn down their BC2 graphics claiming it helps gameplay anyway even though they can max it.

People are over thinking this too much.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=
many members turn down their BC2 graphics claiming it helps gameplay anyway even though they can max it.

I'm one of these players. It's a lot easier to see people when you don't have all those pretty leaves.

Guest h4344
Really the new card isnt for just battlefield 3 its for crysis 1 and a couple of other games but i do see your point about getting one too early so ya i might as well wait and see what happens :D

Yeah but then the gains are in proportion to the losses. If your old computer is "old" enough and you can just barely run BC2 then any upgrade is better than no upgrade even if it doesn't get 80+ FPS on BF3, not that you can even see that high. The money your sitting on is wasted unless its in the bank and your earning interest on it. I can almost guarantee you nothing "world changing" in the form of graphics cards is going to come out at the $300 price range in the next 6 months. Sure you may be able to get a better card because of depreciation but thats highly dependent on the release of a next series of cards. If they decide to release a new card in October for example your still loosing out because it will take time for supply to start and it will also take time for the prices of the old series of cards to drop.

Archived