Covert PC problems

Guest Mental

Ok so he didnt wait until i got off work to install his new vid card and new PC and now hes having issues.

He has a Dell XPS 420 which is a POS...

The power light is blinking amber which means that it has power but it has a problem internally.

I told him to put the old PSU back in and try it and no luck still same problem.

also tried disconnecting the front USB ports because according to some info i found, the usb ports short out and it happens alot with the dells that have their crappy front IO thing and now his fans spin up and shut right back down.

besides just throwing the idea out their that he fried his mobo because i know 90% of the signs point to that lets try to find another possibility. i told him that he needs to try to disconnect everything but power and see if that works. but he didnt have time tonight.

This is what the light means

# If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

* Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location, if applicable.

* Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board (see System Board Components).

Guest RET.Maj.Skyler=US=

So this is the same PC hes had, but just went and installed a Video card and it started acting up?

If it is, I need to know what the Power Supplys Voltage is, what its set at, what video card it is. Also he needs to ensure no Cords got lose or came out by pushing every cord in.

Guest RET.Capt.MustangMan94=US=

Yep need some more specs to identify the problem on this one. Unfortunately the MOBO gets a lot of bad rep when it comes to the failure dept. But it does sound like a power problem; if it is a mobo problem it sounds like a incompatibility problem between the mobo and the video card (i.e. the PCIe Settings).

Then again I'm drunk it's late and none of this will make sense.

Guest RET.SSgt.SonicMulisha=US=
Also Make sure that the Card that he installed doesnt require the additional power hook up. Some do and some dont. Also make sure that the card is fully seated.

Guest RET.Capt.Covert=US=
Hey guys i am on my ps3. I got a new radeon hd 5770. I also bought a new power supply which is 750W strider plus by silver stone. Model number sst-st75f-p. My dell xps 420 power light is doing what mental said when i turn it on. The power supply fan turns on for about a second then turns off. I do believe that i have each power wire in all the way. I just wanted to upgrade my pc but it suck being a noob.

Guest RET.Col.TMI=US=
what ive done in the past is unplug everything including ram. just have the pwr to mobo and thats it. no cards no cd drives or hard drives. turn it on and see if the light comes on. add one thing at a time until you have the problem. it could also just be a bad pwr supply

what ive done in the past is unplug everything including ram. just have the pwr to mobo and thats it. no cards no cd drives or hard drives. turn it on and see if the light comes on. add one thing at a time until you have the problem. it could also just be a bad pwr supply

Will give it a try but i tried my old pwr supply and it still doesnt work.

Guest RET.SSgt.SonicMulisha=US=
check your vid card Covert. Does it have a 6 hole plug in on it. The plug(if you have one) will be on the rear card.(the part that is the closest to the front of your case). The Plug is black. If it has one then you have to plug in additional power to it.

check your vid card Covert. Does it have a 6 hole plug in on it. The plug(if you have one) will be on the rear card.(the part that is the closest to the front of your case). The Plug is black. If it has one then you have to plug in additional power to it.

Yes it does but i have already done that .

I told mental multiple times last night on the phone that i couldnt see bc there were so many wires in the way. I cleared them out and realized i had been putting the cpu pwr in sideways! I knew I was a noob but i knew i could do hardware upgrades but i cannot see through 8 huge wires! Thank you all. I will be online sometime tonight!

Archived