Phones

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

K so after much deliberation and the fact that I'm already on AT&T so their offerings are what I'm locked into to get a good deal....

HTC Inspire 4G (and yes yes yes I know about the whole "4g doesn't exist in the US" business... HSPA+ still whoops standard 3G with the better compression)

Got it for $99.99 with a due upgrade :)

I was going to wait for the Atrix because it does have the definite edge on specs (i.e. a bit better resolution, estimated battery life, the processor and increased memory)... BUT for the money vs. what I'm used to vs. what I'll be using it for, the Inspire was worth saving $100 even after discounted upgrade.

Just thought I'd give the official update since I'm flippin' STOKED!! War can fill anyone in on what kind of phone I'm coming from, how long I've been using the same one, and how much I like to squeeze every last bit of life out of any phone before throwing it away. I'm finally joining the 21st century people... just don't expect me to join Facebook... a kick$*# phone doesn't make that any less useless to me. :p

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

I'm glad you corrected the "4G" thing. I have a huge beef with US carriers because of how they are just bulls****** the whole "4G" network thing.

Let me clarify for everyone. 4G does not exist, nor will it exist in the US for (at least) 2 years. The issue is that Sprint came out with their "4G" before the standard for 4G was agreed upon in committee. What the standards committee said was that 4G was 1Gbit download and 500mbit upload. Which obviously would be nuts since NO resident in the US can get anywhere close to that speed. From wikipedia

The pre-4G technology 3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE) is often branded "4G", but the first LTE release does not fully comply with the IMT-Advanced requirements.

Link

Sorry this just really pisses me off because most people won't even know and the carriers look like heroes. Really all the "4G" stuff is just 3.5G

Hooah! Man I thought I was crazy every time I would get worked up about it like you just did :)

It's very frustrating (and yeah this is coming from someone who's never even owned a smartphone until now, so... yeah) to see marketing schemes that are blatantly lying actually work to push a product that is just nothing but hot air.

**EDIT: As you said, it's not completely hot air, it really is faster with better compression and data transfer speeds, but it's NOT 4G **/

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Its annoying because when someone says "4G" in most regards they are referring to the INCORRECT meaning of the word. 4G is technically defined as speeds of 1 Gbps download. Currently "4G" carriers have speeds of 10-15 Mbps, fast but WAY slower than required to be labeled 4G.

Archived