BC2 Freezing up.

Guest BigMac530

Guest BigMac530
Whenever i load BC2 it freezes and take about 5 mins to unfreeze and get to the menus. Then any command that i make (join game, refresh server, etc) it will freeze and unfreeze awhile later. I have reinstalled BC2 and the problem still persists. I bought the game on Steam just in-case you were wondering.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Can't the magical Alienware gods help you?

It sounds like a driver issue. Try searching for the newest drivers for your gfx card. It could also be some bad ram, run a memory check this is a good one.

If that doesn't fix it, call Dell. You paid for their support for a reason. Isn't that why you said you don't like building them because "when something goes wrong I want to have tech support to call"

Guest BigMac530

Can Alienware jokes be put to the side for a bit?

How do i run that Memory test?

I did not update any drivers. I was thinking that updating the drivers would fix it, but BC2 is the only game that is freezing up.

Guest gamerk2
I know a lot of drivers for both ATI and NVIDIA have problems with BC2; The last WHQL drivers from NVIDIA sound to be the best they've put out in a while, and for ATI, I know the 10.8 drivers are considered the most "stable" for BC2.

Guest RET.MG.Qotsa=US=

Some things that helped me were

Allow through firewall/Security program as exception

I had 3 sticks ram but 4 slots, I removed 1 and runs way better, Thanx Xander BTW,,,,

went to vid card site and downloaded latest driver

shut down any background proceses not needed

restart router

if I think of anything else I will post, Oh yea, Show up for Meeting ; )

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

You need to boot to the memtest. Its a small program but you need to either burn it to a CD or mount it on a USB flash drive and boot to it. Memtest is built into most Linux distros but for windows you need this application, it won't do ANY harm to your computer, this is only a tool that checks if your RAM sticks has any bad areas.

The memtest is more if you think its not the video drivers which there is a solid 80% chance that it is video card driver issues.

*I also reserve the right to freely speak about the horribleness of alienware at anytime. But I still stand by the fact that you should use the tech support you are paying for, and not rely 100% on us.

Guest BigMac530
I always put Avast in "game/silent" mode when playing games. I don't think its the ram because I didn't upgrade anything. And if i update any drivers I will need someone to walk me through it on Xfire/Steam. (Remember that time, Xander?) And i just dumped my old Home/Internet/Phone service for Verizon FiOS so I doubt it is the router.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=

There is a windows version, try this first. It picks up most errors, built off the one Xander posted. http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Also, update your drivers to 11.1

I just did that yesterday and it is running better, but I do have a 6950 so maybe it's just better optimized for the newer card i dunno

Guest BigMac530

The memtest thing told me that i should run two at the same time, so i did. Both were entered to test 2047 MB at the same time. (Recommended by Memtest) I ran the test for about an hour and had 157.7% Coverage with 0 errors.

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy89/bigmac150/photo1.jpg

Anyone wants to walk me through updating my ATI drivers after tonights meeting?

Guest BigMac530

Ok i am now selecting components to install.

Let me know by number what is need JUST to update the drivers.

1. Cata;yst Control Center

2. CCC Install Manager

3. Lord of the Rings FREE Trial

4. ATI Display Driver

5. HDMI/DP Audio Driver

6. ATI Stream SDK v2 Developer

7. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

8. Communication Opt-in

9. AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding

10. WMV9/VC-1 Video Playback

11. Catalyst Control Center 2

*Note* I am connected to my GPU with an HDMI cable.

Guest BigMac530
My computer BSODed out of nowhere. I think it was going into sleep mode and during that process it BSOD. All i know is my monotor was in sleep mode because i was on the PS3 and i see my monitor turn blue. Driver issues?

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

The best way to track down the problem with BSOD is to either grab the info from the BSOD itself, or check the Windows Event Log right after it happens. Generally the pertinent info in the BSOD will go something like:

Stop: 0x00000000 (oxoooooooo oxoooooooo oxooooooooo oxoooooooo)

tcpip.sys - Address 0x00000000 base at 0x000000000 DateStamp 0x000000000

Download THIS PROGRAM FROM HERE. It will basically take the Windows dump file that is generated after any BSOD and make it a bit easier to read for people who know what they're looking for. There are a few ways to use this and I'll try to break them down a little bit here, but if it's confusing you can PM or post here and I'll gladly offer more assistance if I can. This may or may not look a bit daunting, but it really will be the quickest and easiest way to diagnose the problem without having you turn Windows inside and out looking for events and such.

1. When you first open the program, it should already have entries if you've been experiencing BSOD's. Windows has already generated logs for the ones you've already seen, so the program should be able to find those and display them.

2. Highlight the topmost entry (should be the most recent), and there are 4 ways of viewing it. You can tap F6, F7, F8, or F9 to alternate between those 4 views. F6 will display all drivers active at the time of the BSOD, and should highlight in red the ones that caused the problem if it was a driver issue. F8 will display the BSOD itself as you are used to seeing it when Windows crashes.

3. If you feel comfortable either google searching or you already are familiar with the drivers that are highlighted, you should be able to resolve it.

4. Otherwise, you can make sure that same most recent entry is highlighted again, and go to the File menu, and click "Save Selected Items". That will save a .txt file to somewhere of your choosing. Paste the contents of that file into a post here or a PM.

Guest BigMac530

==================================================

Dump File : 010211-19078-01.dmp

Crash Time : 1/2/2011 2:33:46 AM

Bug Check String : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Bug Check Code : 0x1000009f

Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000004

Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000258

Parameter 3 : fffffa80`05505680

Parameter 4 : fffff800`00b9c510

Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe

Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+765da

File Description : NT Kernel & System

Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company : Microsoft Corporation

File Version : 6.1.7600.16617 (win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Processor : x64

Computer Name :

Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\010211-19078-01.dmp

Processors Count : 8

Major Version : 15

Minor Version : 7600

Dump File Size : 577,264

==================================================

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=

Can you please post all software you use for antivirus? I've seen that one with ZoneAlarm conflicting with other AV programs. I would recommend removing ALL AV programs and replace them with either MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) or AVG 2011 Free Edition.

Let us know if this still persists even after you do this.

I would recommend anyone with BSOD issues to research their particular error message against carrona.org's listing. It's a fantastic troubleshooting site that will really assist you in drilling down to what your particular issue is. In a lot of cases there will be several usual causes and over time you will get to know the most probable ones as you encounter them. No one ever expects people to memorize BSOD's so this is a particular useful resource.

Per that site, this error is typically: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

I know that looks like a lot, but as I said antivirus is the easiest to check and also the most likely given that you've recently ensured your drivers are up to date.

/** EDIT: As another thought - go to your Control Panel, System and Security, Windows Update, and click on "View Update History". Is the most recent update lining up with the first time you ran into this BSOD? **/

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Crash Time : 1/2/2011 2:33:46 AM

Thats not from the most recent dump. That is almost a month old. Find the one that happened today/yesterday.

It is almost defiantly caused by the GPU drivers.

Archived