I need help now!

Guest BigMac530

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
[quote='PFC.BigMac530=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=79417#post79417']Another thing i noticed is unfamiliar processes in Task Manager like "winlogon.exe" and "csrss.exe". Both of which i can't go to properties or end those processes.[/QUOTE] Ok well for starters, Windows has quite a few processes that are not intuitively named in the Task Manager and others that are actually decipherable. For example, winlogon.exe is the general user logon process that manages your user preferences and profile information that Windows uses to "personalize" each user as of Windows 2000 and onward. Csrss.exe is the over-arching Windows security process that manages other Windows security processes. If you were to have Task Manager open when you first logon, you'd see that process running quite a bit as it does initial authentication and process checking, then cool off after awhile. It's always running in the background as long as you're logged on, and is in charge of checking processes as valid. [quote='PFC.BigMac530=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=79417#post79417']I was just checking that big car manuel that Alienware gives us. Is it the "Aurora Resource DVD"?[/QUOTE] Haha so you got the car manual, too, eh? :) I would not recommend it at this point as you have gone through steps to remove the virus and hopefully [I]have[/I] gotten rid of it, but if your Resource DVD has the same purpose as mine, you should be able to boot to that CD by tapping F12 while it's starting up (similar to tapping F8 for Safe Mode). In some menu that comes up it might give an option to Recover, Revert to a previous image, or something similar to that. Again, I would NOT recommend that at this point until you start to see evidence of the virus again, but so that you know how to approach that option in the future.... full disclosure :)

Guest BigMac530
Yea before i used Malware Bytes i was getting pop up adds from Internet Explorer with stupid ads and whatnot while i was using Google Chrome. But it feels that the viruses are gone, and after reading what those processes are my PC looks safe and secure. Just to be sure i scheduled a boot-time scan with Avast. (Before Windows fires up it scans everything on that scary screen with the numbers and letters.)

Guest BigMac530
One thing i really hope is gone is the KeyLogger as my Steam account has a credit card attached to it and if that where to go into the wrong hands....

Guest gamerk2
Question: Is Task Manager working again? You might need to do some registry modifications if its not... Either way, you now have Malwarebytes. Download Microsoft Security Essentials to go with it. Also, I advise EVERYONE to download process explorer; think Task Manager on steriods. Great at catching those viruses that disable Task Manager...

Guest Mental
malwarebytes, spybot S&D, and avg. best 3 programs you can use. Spybot has a immunize function that blocks contact to known ip addresses and websites that are malicious. I used to work at a radioshack as a IT and i do comp repair/network work as a side job now by myself.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
One of the best things you can do is buy an antivirus for your computer, not use a free version. It will prevent a multitude of problems and in my opinion its one of the best things you can do for yourself and your PC. It should be among the first things you do, it doese't need to have a tonne of features that you will most likely never use but a good antivirus can save you alot of headache's. Some good one's are Kaspersky Trend Micro AVG Avast

Guest BigMac530
Ok i got SUPERantispyware and did a quick scan in regular windows and found like 400-450 threats. Apparently removed them all. I thought Malware Bytes did the job?

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Yeah often virus scanners can pick up things that aren't spyware at all, it won't damage your computer removing them but their "potential threats" like if you have a transformation pack for xp running, malwarebytes will flag notepad as malware because the notepad file is customized.

Guest BigMac530
Oh ok. Thanks everyone for helping me out, i really appreciate it. I will keep you posted if anything goes wrong again.

Archived