Driver download help.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=

I've been having random computer freezes and BSODs. I read online that this could be caused by out-of-date drivers. I run a program (DriverMax) to see if I need to update my drivers and, well, a bunch of them are out of date apparently. Unfortunately, DriverMax will only allow me to download 2 drivers per day from their website as I'm a free user. The only place I've been able to find which allow me to download the drivers I need for free is Intel's website; but I can't figure out how to properly track down the drivers I need. Checking the drivers in Windows' device manager tells me that the drivers are already up-to-date. Where do you get your drivers from? Or, how can I track down my drivers at Intel's site? The drivers: System Devices: Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub to ESI Port - 3400 Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 1 - 3408 Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 244E Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 1 - 3A40 Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 3 - 3A44 Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 4 - 3A46 Intel(R) ICH10 Family PCI Express Root Port 2 - 3A42 Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 3 - 340A Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub PCI Express Root Port 7 - 340E Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub GPIO and Scratch Pad Registers - 3422 Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub Control Status and RAS Registers - 3423 Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 Physical and Link Layer Registers Port 0 - 3425 Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 Routing and Protocol Layer Registers Port 0 - 3426 Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub System Management Registers - 342E Intel(R) 5520/5500/X58 I/O Hub Throttle Registers - 3438 Intel(R) ICH10R LPC Interface Controller - 3A16 Intel(R) ICH10 Family SMBus Controller - 3A30 USB Controllers: Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39 Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35 My rig: [url]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01701249&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3942960[/url]. The only thing that has been replaced/changed is the hard drive.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
The best way to track down the problem with BSOD is to either grab the info from the BSOD itself, or check the Windows Event Log right after it happens. Generally the pertinent info in the BSOD will go something like: Stop: 0x00000000 (oxoooooooo oxoooooooo oxooooooooo oxoooooooo) tcpip.sys - Address 0x00000000 base at 0x000000000 DateStamp 0x000000000 Download [URL='http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview_setup.exe']THIS PROGRAM FROM HERE[/URL]. It will basically take the Windows dump file that is generated after any BSOD and make it a bit easier to read for people who know what they're looking for. There are a few ways to use this and I'll try to break them down a little bit here, but if it's confusing you can PM or post here and I'll gladly offer more assistance if I can. This may or may not look a bit daunting, but it really will be the quickest and easiest way to diagnose the problem without having you turn Windows inside and out looking for events and such. 1. When you first open the program, it should already have entries if you've been experiencing BSOD's. Windows has already generated logs for the ones you've already seen, so the program should be able to find those and display them. 2. Highlight the topmost entry (should be the most recent), and there are 4 ways of viewing it. You can tap F6, F7, F8, or F9 to alternate between those 4 views. F6 will display all drivers active at the time of the BSOD, and [i]should[/i] highlight in red the ones that caused the problem if it was a driver issue. F8 will display the BSOD itself as you are used to seeing it when Windows crashes. 3. If you feel comfortable either google searching or you already are familiar with the drivers that are highlighted, you should be able to resolve it. 4. Otherwise, you can make sure that same most recent entry is highlighted again, and go to the File menu, and click "Save Selected Items". That will save a .txt file to somewhere of your choosing. Paste the contents of that file into a post here or a PM. Best of luck and feel free to ask questions. If the hard drive is the only thing you've changed recently, then most likely you are correct and that is causing the issue. However, a lot of times a BSOD indicates multiple drivers not playing nicely, and a bad driver for a hard drive will many times just cause very poor performance, not necessarily a BSOD. ****EDIT: I am gone most of the afternoon with errands, but will be back this evening and will most likely be online for at least some of the time. Let me know if you'd prefer TS for this****

Thanks for the help. Here's the most recent one the program picked up (but not the most recent I've had for some reason: ================================================== Dump File : 111910-17191-01.dmp Crash Time : 11/19/2010 1:30:49 PM Bug Check String : MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION Bug Check Code : 0x0000009c Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000 Parameter 2 : fffff880`009bac70 Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000 Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000 Caused By Driver : hal.dll Caused By Address : hal.dll+126e0 File Description : Product Name : Company : File Version : Processor : x64 Computer Name : Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\111910-17191-01.dmp Processors Count : 8 Major Version : 15 Minor Version : 7600 ================================================== Here's another one that I found (and the error code lines up with the most recent BSOD I've actually had--although I don't know if it's due to the same driver or whatever): ================================================== Dump File : 100910-29780-01.dmp Crash Time : 10/9/2010 4:17:34 PM Bug Check String : Bug Check Code : 0x00000101 Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000019 Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000 Parameter 3 : fffff880`02f64180 Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000002 Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70740 File Description : NT Kernel & System Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Company : Microsoft Corporation File Version : 6.1.7600.16617 (win7_gdr.100618-1621) Processor : x64 Computer Name : Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\100910-29780-01.dmp Processors Count : 8 Major Version : 15 Minor Version : 7600 ==================================================

OK that MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION in the first log entry usually indicates a hardware problem, so I'm not 100% convinced it's definitely a driver problem. However, it's easiest just to check that off the list first. First off, when you say you replaced/changed the hard drive, do you mean that you re-installed Windows on a new hard drive, or that you added an additional hard drive as a secondary drive for storage without touching your existing drive? If it's just a secondary drive, then you might be running into a power consumption issue, since you have a 460w power supply. That's on the lighter end of supplies when you have any kind of performance components. Based on the parts in your build if you have just ONE hard drive, the recommended power supply is 443W. So if you have a second hard drive cranking up, and then add any USB peripherals into the mix like keyboard/mouse, etc., you could be looking at an insufficient power supply. If you still have just one drive, it's good to be aware that you're close to what your power supply is capable of pushing out, but it's doubtful that's to blame, all else being equal (unless you BSOD every time you plug in your iPod :oops: ) ***EDIT: Very important question - do you typically get a BSOD when in a game, booting Windows, processing lots of info, burning CD's, etc.? Or to the best of your knowledge does it appear to be random? *** All that being said, let's still eliminate drivers as a potential issue - Graphics Driver: [URL='http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/260.99/260.99_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe']http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/260.99/260.99_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe[/URL] CPU ID Utility: [URL='http://downloadmirror.intel.com/7838/eng/pidenu25.msi']http://downloadmirror.intel.com/7838/eng/pidenu25.msi[/URL] The CPU ID Utility is an Intel product that will identify the processor in your box (I know it's an i7 920, but the software has to check first to run properly), and then will compare the current clock speeds to the expected results based on the cpu benchmarks. ***EDIT: Post the expected and actual numbers here after you run that program *** Give those a shot and let me know how it goes. ***EDIT (last edit, I promise): Those driver programs that give you the ones that are out of date are [i]mostly[/i] accurate, but depending on the exact driver, they sometimes detect false positives. For example, if you see an entry on there talking about the Chipset drivers, chances are you have them up to date, but some of the programs will consistently flag them as needing an update. ***

[quote='PFC.Kaossilator=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=78340#post78340']OK that MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION in the first log entry usually indicates a hardware problem, so I'm not 100% convinced it's definitely a driver problem. However, it's easiest just to check that off the list first. First off, when you say you replaced/changed the hard drive, do you mean that you re-installed Windows on a new hard drive, or that you added an additional hard drive as a secondary drive for storage without touching your existing drive?[/QUOTE] When my hard drive failed, I replaced it and threw the original away. I've done multiple clean installs of Windows on the new hard drive since then. [QUOTE]***EDIT: Very important question - do you typically get a BSOD when in a game, booting Windows, processing lots of info, burning CD's, etc.? Or to the best of your knowledge does it appear to be random? ***[/QUOTE] It's more of less random, and generally not when I would be using a lot of processing power. It mostly happens when I'm just surfing the web without anything else running in the background. Sometimes it happens when I have TeamSpeak up and I'm surfing the internet. I don't recall it happening when I'm playing a game, working on tutorial videos, etc. I'll do the driver stuff later and post. Thanks.

Guest gamerk2
Machine_Check_Exception...thats a rare one. Typically happens due to bad hardware, as a driver conflict would almost certainly be IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Right now, as the HD sounds good (running a chkdsk might be a good idea...), I'd blame RAM as the primary suspect. Download memtest86 to USB/CD and run off that at system boot (you may have to change boot priority in BIOS). Let it run the full test suite at least twice. If it detects any errors, test each stick of RAM one by one until you find which one fails. If its NOT RAM, then the primary causes of a Machine_Check_Exception is a bad hardware, typically the CPU or Motherboard. If so, it will be VERY hard to diagnose unless you test each component in the PC one by one (not fun, especially if you don't have the necessary parts to do this).

[quote='RT.gamerk2=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=78362#post78362']Machine_Check_Exception...thats a rare one. Typically happens due to bad hardware, as a driver conflict would almost certainly be IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Right now, as the HD sounds good (running a chkdsk might be a good idea...), I'd blame RAM as the primary suspect. Download memtest86 to USB/CD and run off that at system boot (you may have to change boot priority in BIOS). Let it run the full test suite at least twice. If it detects any errors, test each stick of RAM one by one until you find which one fails. If its NOT RAM, then the primary causes of a Machine_Check_Exception is a bad hardware, typically the CPU or Motherboard. If so, it will be VERY hard to diagnose unless you test each component in the PC one by one (not fun, especially if you don't have the necessary parts to do this).[/QUOTE] This is what I was worried of. I'll definitely check with the memtest86 tomorrow, although the computer came with a program called PC Doctor that you can run at boot. Both the RAM and the processer have checked out multiple times.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
Haterade, give me your motherboard model and rev# Most of these drivers should be available from the manufacturer's website, unless u got a dell or something, then things get more complicated. EDIT: Nvm, you have an HP. Go here. [url]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3942960#N2369[/url] there was a new update of ur bios about a month ago. Not saying this is the culprit, but it's possible. Also, what kind of hard drive did you install? When you say you did "multiple clean installs" did you use the HP recovery disk? Or did you buy a new windows and completely go clean install on it?

[quote='CC.Decayed=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=78373#post78373']Also, what kind of hard drive did you install? When you say you did "multiple clean installs" did you use the HP recovery disk? Or did you buy a new windows and completely go clean install on it?[/QUOTE] A Wester Digital Caviar Black 1TB Harddrive. Here's a link: [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284[/url]. I used a new Windows copy (Windows 7 Ultimate) when I did my install.

[quote='PFC.Kaossilator=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=78340#post78340']CPU ID Utility: [URL='http://downloadmirror.intel.com/7838/eng/pidenu25.msi']http://downloadmirror.intel.com/7838/eng/pidenu25.msi[/URL] The CPU ID Utility is an Intel product that will identify the processor in your box (I know it's an i7 920, but the software has to check first to run properly), and then will compare the current clock speeds to the expected results based on the cpu benchmarks. ***EDIT: Post the expected and actual numbers here after you run that program ***[/QUOTE] Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility Version: 4.30.20101214 Time Stamp: 2010/12/17 17:49:15 Operating System: 6.1-7600- Number of processors in system: 1 Current processor: #1 Active cores per processor: 4 Disabled cores per processor: 0 Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 920 CPU @ 2.67GHz Type: 0 Family: 6 Model: 1A Stepping: 4 Revision: 11 Maximum CPUID Level: B L1 Instruction Cache: 4 x 32 KB L1 Data Cache: 4 x 32 KB L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KB L3 Cache: 8 MB Packaging: LGA1366 Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: Yes MMX(TM): Yes Intel(R) SSE: Yes Intel(R) SSE2: Yes Intel(R) SSE3: Yes Intel(R) SSE4: Yes Intel(R) AES-NI: No Intel(R) AVX: No Enhanced Halt State: Yes Execute Disable Bit: Yes Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes Expected Processor Frequency: 2.67 GHz Reported Processor Frequency: 2.79 GHz Expected System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz Reported System Bus Frequency: 133 MHz Expected QuickPath Interconnect Speed: 4.80 GT/s Reported QuickPath Interconnect Speed: 4.80 GT/s Expected Integrated Memory Controller Frequency: 1066 MHz Reported Integrated Memory Controller Frequency: 1066 MHz ************************************************************* So, if I read this correctly (and I have no idea what I'm doing), my processor is working a bit better than expected?

[quote='Sgt.Haterade=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=78376#post78376']So, if I read this correctly (and I have no idea what I'm doing), my processor is working a bit better than expected?[/QUOTE] Correct. The reason I wanted you to do that is to A) help rule out a cpu hardware issue (based on that machine_check_exception), and B) help rule out an insufficient psu, which since you are still only running 1 hard drive, is probably not the issue. Decayed's BIOS suggestion could be right on point based on some threads I'm finding about HP desktops and consistent troubles with similar mobo's as yours. For sure Gamer's Memtest idea is also on point. ***EDIT: Question - how often do the BSOD's happen? Is it something where you'll know fairly quickly if you've applied the correct fix or more of a "wait and see" kind of thing? ***

It's really a wait and see thing which might be the most frustrating thing of all. I've updated the bios and I'm in the middle of the memtest. It's been 30 minutes and the test is 77% with no errors thus far.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
So i know there are a few separate things going on, but I'm curious if the fact that you are using this no name motherboard from HP, a clean install from windows7 is not giving you the proper drivers. I dunno if you are willing to try this, but I would recommend using the Recovery cd that came with your computer (I'm guessing it was Vista) and then running the windows7 on top as an upgrade. See how it rolls for a few days.

[quote='CC.Decayed=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=78386#post78386']So i know there are a few separate things going on, but I'm curious if the fact that you are using this no name motherboard from HP, a clean install from windows7 is not giving you the proper drivers. I dunno if you are willing to try this, but I would recommend using the Recovery cd that came with your computer (I'm guessing it was Vista) and then running the windows7 on top as an upgrade. See how it rolls for a few days.[/QUOTE] Unfortunately, I didn't get a recovery CD with it since I bought the floor model of the computer (at a heavy discount). So it didn't come with a recovery CD. Maybe I can find one on HP's website. If after all this stuff it still is giving me a BSOD, I'm going to try and track down a recovery CD and do that.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
Yeah I think you can order one or even download [url]http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3942960&sw_lang=&os=4063[/url]

Archived