BF2142 Installation

Guest BigMac530

Guest BigMac530
I am trying to install 2142 on my computer. I choose English, click install, then it takes a while to get to the wizard. When the wizard comes up it shows me the welcome screen. Then i click next and the little rods around the wizard window disappear, and it freezes. When i try to click anywhere on the wizard i can only hear that "ding" sound. I can't get farther then this point. Help? I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
that "Ding" is probably an error but no window showing up saying it. Google around for 2142 install errors with win7 or possibly your video card. I remember ATI not having the best support for Battlefield stuff.

Guest BigMac530
I don't know what a video card has to do with installing something. Some people say that Win7 doesn't work at all for this game, some say its punkbuster, and some say that my CD could be corrupt. Is there another way of downloading this then using my CD key to validate it?

Guest Xcalibur237
i dont think bf2142 supports win 7 and if it was your cd then your DVD ROM wouldnt read it at all or itd have trouble reading it

Guest BigMac530
Then when it un-freezes it says "The wizard was interrupted before Battlefield 2142 Deluxe Edition could be complete installed. Your system has not ben modified."

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
I remember having an issue installing 2142 with a 64 bit os but there is a way around it. Maybe when I'm home I'll see what I can come up with.

Guest BigMac530
[quote='Cpt.Xander=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=75761#post75761']I remember having an issue installing 2142 with a 64 bit os but there is a way around it. Maybe when I'm home I'll see what I can come up with.[/QUOTE] Ok thanks man. Really want to start playing this game again.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
I think theres something on the back of the box, i'll type it out. Might help fix ur situation. "Recommended Operating System: Windows XP or Higher. This excludes owners of Alienware PCs. For your failed choice in money saving computers this game will not install. Good Day" :D

Guest BigMac530
Ok. What should i do then? Go back to my Acer with 4 gigs of ram, 320 GB HD, 2.00 GHZ procceser, and an Nvidia 9200. Stay with the Alienware with 6 gigs of ram, 1.5TB HD, 3.33 i7 Procceser, and an ATI 5870 HD. Get a Mac.

Guest RET.CDR.CrAzY_NuTtA=US=
haha im just messin, similar to xander i remember this problem but for the life of me not how i managed to fix it.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
lol yea crazy was just yanking you, but that should run fine on your Acer. That has plenty of firepower for 2142, maybe not max settings but close.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Figured I'd pitch in for what it's worth since I used to play 2142 and as stated by others above, I recall getting this to work on both my custom gaming desktop and my alienware m15x, both running win7-64 ;) On [URL='http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Battlefield%202142&v=EA&uid=&pf=0&pi=1&s=Battlefield%202&os=32-bit'](THIS)[/URL] official MS site, under 32- and 64-bit version tabs on bf2142, it lists: Compatible No action required However, that's just the official MS word, which.... well let's just leave it at that. 1) Have you turned off UAC, Antivirus, Windows Defender, and updated your graphics and audio drivers? 2) If you leave Task Manager open while attempting to install, are you able to see a process called "bf2cdkeycheck.exe" starting/stopping just as it freezes? If so, you may have to contact EA to have them release/unlock (whatever their terminology is) your CD key if it's been quite awhile since the last time you activated or used it. 3) Try the install, let it freeze, and then go to your Run utility (from Start Menu) and enter "eventvwr.msc". I'm not at home right now so not sure exactly what Win7 calls it, but you should see something like "Application" on the left side. Click on that and it will populate the right side with a list of application layer Windows events. Try to find one that corresponds to the installer freezing and you might be able to narrow in on a Google search based on the specific error listed. 4) Try making sure the EA Download Manager is installed before attempting the install. It may be trying to use that to get ready to validate your CD key or look for patches for farther down the install process. 5) If you're familiar with regedit, you can always try making sure everything related to 2142 is cleaned out of the registry and trying it over again. 6) Just to top it off, try disabling the Aero theme in Win7. I've found a few games that have trouble with it because of how the theme wants to handle the "window" it's put in. Whew... okay done typing for awhile.... :P Kaoss

Yeah I'm not holding my breath for it to be a validation issue, but as you said, most people who've had this problem and posted online seem to fall in only a few categories, so just wanted to make sure all bases were covered. I still think it's worth going through the others, but #2 from my post probably won't amount to anything. Actually as I was typing this I thought of something else - I don't suppose you have Steam open when trying to install? This is a +415 marksmanship long shot, but maybe Steam is interfering somehow with the install? Not exactly sure how that could be happening if it's not even getting to the key input... but it's probably a good idea to make sure everything possible is closed when trying the installer

Guest BigMac530
I did the run thing, i cant find anything. But i found this: "The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block." I dont know what that means. As for the task manager processes, the only ones i see related to the installation wizard are "setE733.tmp *32" and "Battlefield 2132_code.exe". Note* The setE733 is only one instance the process was named that. The last 4 places before .tmp change every time i run the set up wizard.

That cdrom warning/error could be a problem - [URL='http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=7&eventno=33&source=Cdrom&phase=1']see link[/URL] Can you see any visible scratches, scuffs, smudges, etc. on the disc? Or are you running a drive virtualization tool like Daemon Tools? Also, as that website states, some people seem to have encountered this with CDs that are copy protected with Safedisc (which EA used for BF2142). So you might be back to the copy protection issue (somehow). Maybe try unplugging your ethernet cable and running the installer again?

Guest BigMac530
Yea its probly the disc because i recently installed Ages of Empire 3 and Battlefield 2. I clean the disc and tried to install, same result. I tried to install with Ethernet disconnected and the install doesn't freeze anymore, but goes to a wizard interrupted message as if it was the next step.

Yeah a borked disc is looking more likely. It might still be worth the time to get in contact with EA and make absolutely certain the key isn't the problem, but failing that just seeing if there's any possibility of getting a replacement disc tied to your existing key. Another long shot with companies the size of EA, but...

Archived