laptop people helps me

Guest Ying

Guest BigMac530
Nice to see more people interested in Alienware. I have the Aurora PC but the laptops are awesome too. The only problem is the battery doesnt last so long. But over all you should be able to play on max settings with the right specs. Post the configuration you have in mind.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
bad. gaming laptops are a joke. you are better off spending your money on a desktop and a netbook. since dell took over aw, quality has gone way down. got one in 2006 spent over $2000. It was a pretty sweet laptop, i'll admit. but not worth the cost at all. why do you want a powerful laptop? there are still a lot of overheating issues. add to the fact you can never upgrade aside from memory sticks, you are basically pigeonholing yourself. I would pass. You shouldn't ever play with batteries if you are playing a game. And don't forget, any vid card mobility is way worse. [url]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html[/url] for instance: Mobility 5870 = a normal 5770 anyway, this is just my opinion, good luck with whatever you choose.

Guest BigMac530
Accually yea i agree with Decayed on the laptop part but NOT the quality of AW. I have had no problems with the computer besides the GPU Drivers which was my own fault. If you are going to buy a laptop that will cost over $2,000, the Alienware Aurora is the way to go if you are going Alienware.

laptop is now a thing of a past. TBH only thing laptop is good for is reading email,forums, few movies and work. For 2k. I will buy a mid range Laptop for 600 to 800 dollars. and spend the rest building a nice Desktop gaming rig. and yeah alienware uses Average computer parts and jack up the price. If you really want to buy a alienware desktop. Build one.. They sell the exact same case for 200 dollars or so. Top Grade Video card,mobo,cpu,psu,ram at the most cost 1200.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
Just a side note since were here, whats the difference between a laptop and a netbook?, don't they generally do the same kind of stuff?, I mean you cant really game on a laptop and you cant game at all on a netbook. Which is better? And whats a good laptop and whats a good netbook? what makes it good?

Guest BigMac530
Netbooks usually come with a built in reciver for 3G internet from providers such as AT&T and Verizon (USA), but can still connect to a network. They are smaller and are meant to just do quick emails and stuff on the go.

[quote='SSG.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=70779#post70779']Just a side note since were here, whats the difference between a laptop and a netbook?, don't they generally do the same kind of stuff?, I mean you cant really game on a laptop and you cant game at all on a netbook. Which is better? And whats a good laptop and whats a good netbook? what makes it good?[/QUOTE] netbooks are usually smaller and less powerful. they use slower cpu and mostly use window xp. They are only good for internet, some videos on youtube and work. cheaper too. average price are 300 to 500.. like i said laptop are going to be gone soon.. With phone,ipad, netbooks are taking over.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
Netbooks are like mini versions of laptops, but not as powerful. You aren't gonna be doing any gaming or video editing. The thing is, most people get laptops cause they want mobility. A netbook can provide this at a much cheaper cost. Some do come with builtin wireless modems but they were around well before this was a standard. Just think of it as a little computer that can do the basic things such as email, watching movies, surfing the net which don't get too hot and have decent battery lives. Basically, the ultimate mobile work station. As for alienware desktops, I still think the quality has gone down the hole since Dell took over. Like Senth said, build your own, or find someone who can build you one, or buy a good barebones. AW tends to use so-so motherboards and psu's and you end up paying for the name brand. I'd rather pay for a good quality mobo and psu. BigMac, I'm not saying they are bad. But they aren't what they used to be. And with the abundance of parts available these days, it's just not worth the cost. There is nothing special about an Alienware except for the lighting and the case, which you can do yourself. I'm not saying they are pieces of junk, but when you compare value for cost, there are tons of better options. Basically you can spend $1k for a pretty good laptop, or even 2k. Or you can buy a netbook for 300 and build a desktop for 600. Now you have the mobility you want, the power you want, and you also saved yourself some money and your system is upgradeable. You can't upgrade laptops. In this day and age, you are gonna be spending a ton of money for a system that will last you maybe 2 years tops. As for finding a good netbook, they are pretty much all the same.

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=
So a net book could handle flash games?, i know i let myself get distracted every so often and it would be nice to do so on my net book aswell, games like tigerwoods pga tour online?

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
[quote='SSG.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=70789#post70789']So a net book could handle flash games?, i know i let myself get distracted every so often and it would be nice to do so on my net book aswell, games like tigerwoods pga tour online?[/QUOTE] It will play but probably be a little slower than your desktop. Just google "tigerwoods pga tour online netbook" and there are some posts about people doing it. You can still get a faster netbook and better graphics so I guess there is some difference between them.

Guest RET.LTG.STORM=US=
To Put it in simple terms A Netbook is only good for surfing the Net e-mail, forums and are really useless for anything more then that. AKA (Junk).I have had like 4 of them brought to me for repairs eg. dell will sent you a new one rather then send a tech to fix it most of the time. they are not worth the 200+ hundred they cost. My Iphone works just fine for e-mail and most forums. if you want a notebook that good for school and just general use 400-800.00 can play basic games watch movies and do school work and have a 17inch monitor. If you can put the money in a good desktop.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=
Netbooks, to me, are really only good as a glorified word processor. They're really popular for note-taking in class, but beyond that I don't really see a point. I've flirted with the idea of getting one a few times, and if I did I wouldn't even get online with it; I would use it to take notes only. I've heard lots of people complain about how easily they break, though.

[quote='Pvt.Haterade=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=70800#post70800']Netbooks, to me, are really only good as a glorified word processor. They're really popular for note-taking in class, but beyond that I don't really see a point. I've flirted with the idea of getting one a few times, and if I did I wouldn't even get online with it; I would use it to take notes only. I've heard lots of people complain about how easily they break, though.[/QUOTE] Physically breaking or just system failing due to software hardware conflicT? pretty much netbooks/laptops are like cell phones.. It will be out within 6 months or useless within 2 years. Computers in general is something you shouldn't put too much money into cuz there will be always going to be something better. Reasonable price and reasonable rig. thats my motto. 3k machine vs a 1.3k machine dfifference? .001 millisecond faster and 10-13 fps more in game. Rather save the money and invest it on something else.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
[quote='CPT.STORM=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=70799#post70799']To Put it in simple terms A Netbook is only good for surfing the Net e-mail, forums and are really useless for anything more then that. AKA (Junk).I have had like 4 of them brought to me for repairs eg. dell will sent you a new one rather then send a tech to fix it most of the time. they are not worth the 200+ hundred they cost. My Iphone works just fine for e-mail and most forums. if you want a notebook that good for school and just general use 400-800.00 can play basic games watch movies and do school work and have a 17inch monitor. If you can put the money in a good desktop.[/QUOTE] Just like you are saying to get low end laptops (I consider 400-800 lowend considering what's out there) you can also get high end netbooks. I understand what you are saying about lots of them going into repairs etc, but that's because a lot of people buy netbooks, and a lot of people buy netbooks which are crap. My sister has one that watches vides just fine. Yea, most games won't work but flash games tend to do ok. It all comes down to why you want one. Most people want mobility, and as someone who has had a laptop for a primary work computer it's just not that great. If you want a gaming beast, you are barking up the wrong tree. As for people breaking them easily or whatnot, most of the time this is to mishandling. You'd be surprised at how people treat their belongings.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
If you get one supporting NVIDIA ION you have a better shot of it running some more things. I've considered getting a netbook several times. First all I would install a Linux distro (prolly ubuntu) right away. But when it comes down to it I'm going to want to use my netbook/laptop for programming, and I need screen space for that type of thing. Currently though I would never buy a laptop that isn't a Mac. I know so many people who buy Macs going into college and still have them after they leave. Almost no-one will have the same Dell/HP/Toshiba computer after that time. Macs are reliable, easy to use, and have longevity. Something that hardly any other manufacturer cares about because the sooner their product breaks the sooner you buy another one. Plus my 2006 Macbook 2.0 GHz Core Duo (no core 2 duo) with 1.25GB of RAM runs OSX 10.6.4 and I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 running as VMs. All of that works fine, and I got a brand new battery for free right before my AppleCare expired so it still holds a solid charge.

Guest CC.Decayed=US=
It really depends on your cash flow. I'm not gonna say Mac's aren't good. But there is quite a premium on them. They better last longer since you are in essence paying more. If you need screen real estate you can use a second monitor.

Guest RET.SSgt.Haterade=US=
[quote='Cpl.Senth=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=70803#post70803']Physically breaking or just system failing due to software hardware conflicT?[/QUOTE] The former. And it's just not idiots mistreating their stuff--I've had friends whose internal components go kaput for no apparent reason. If I did get a netbook, I'd make sure I got the most comprehensive, longest-lasting warantee available and backup regularly.

Guest RET.Maj.SKI=US=
I agree, a gaming laptop is not the best equipment to play on, but it provides portability. I can play on my Dell M6400 in my office at my desk, sitting in the living room in my lazy boy. or pack it up and take it on vactions and business trips.

Archived