Overclocking 101

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

A member requested an explanation of overclocking so here it is. [QUOTE=Wikipedia]Overclocking is the process of running a computer component at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for or was running at[/QUOTE] So basically over-clocking is running a computer component such as the CPU at a higher speed than the manufacturer recommendation, so that more work is done in the same amount of time, e.g. 200MHz to 220MHz, would make the CPU 20MHz faster. This extra speed can come at a price, as with anything that is pushed beyond its limits. When computer hardware is pushed beyond its limits, you may experience lock-ups and crashes, and eventually it may get to the point where the hardware becomes permanently damaged. Although this is unlikely to happen if you take precautions like installing a good heat sink and have good cooling in your computer. You may ask, is it worth the risk?, well that question is difficult to answer. The performance gained from over-clocking hardware can be significant and speed up gaming and general tasks, almost all [U]modern[/U] processors and graphics cards can be over-clocked and it can be done quite easily. But on the down side you risk damaging your computer. There are too many different over-clocking options to go through in explaining exactly how to over-clock each one however there are many good tutorials on how to over-clock certain hardware and these can be found using Google. Simply type the name of the device you want to overclock. e.g "GT 240 overclock" So thats the basics of overclocking!

Guest Senth
It all depends on the quality of the parts too. CPU wise dont have to worry about quality cuz both amd and intel are top notch. But it all comes down to MOBO, RAM, PSU. for GPU both Nvidia and ATI works fine. Good NB and SB chipset. high stable temp and volt. Good PCIE layout for SLI or Xfire. For me personally Intel - EVGA-Asus-Gigabyte -intel mobo . For intel mobo usually have to raise the FSB and vcore. all done in bios AMD - Asus - Gigabyte - MSI. for amd boards can increase muliplier (using BE cpu) or increasing bus speed vcore. all done in bios IF u need any help let me know. Here is a pic of my build [IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs534.ash1/31300_398354704913_585834913_3980262_7326338_n.jpg[/IMG]

Guest Lynch
thanks PVT. Senth as soon as i am back in florida I will be calling on you. I would like to overclock my desktop to see what i can achieve

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Ive had problems with Gigabyte X58 mobo's (ones for core i5 and i7). Asus is great though.

Guest Senth
[quote='ENS.Xander=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=66705#post66705']Ive had problems with Gigabyte X58 mobo's (ones for core i5 and i7). Asus is great though.[/QUOTE] gigabyte is slow on updating their bios. but most gigabyte mobo has dual bios. so if one fails u have a back up. x58 boards are kinda hard to say. I heard mostly its temp issue cuz i7 1366 chips run hot then any other chips plus its eats alot of power so have to make sure ur PSU has enough power. I7 chips needs aftermarket heatsink then OEm heatsinks. What problem are u exactly having Sir? Currently running my 1055t hexacore 3.9 ghz stable for my game rig. (2.8 ghz stock) For my workstation 720 x3 unlocked to quad running at 3.4 ghz (17x multipler) 2.8 stock Wife computer Q6600 at 3.2 ghz (2.4 ghz stock) from all the cpu, Black edition AMD are the easiest cpu to OC cuz all you have to do is increase muliplier. dont need to mess around with fsb or ht link.

• 3 weeks later...
Senth do you think you can post up your computer specs, i was going to build with the H50 cooling and the push/pull fans, but i was going to go for zalman fans. Did you use the default thermal compound or did you apply your own(for the H50) was it easy to setup? is cooling sufficient?

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='Pfc.Senth=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=66765#post66765']gigabyte is slow on updating their bios. but most gigabyte mobo has dual bios. so if one fails u have a back up. x58 boards are kinda hard to say. I heard mostly its temp issue cuz i7 1366 chips run hot then any other chips plus its eats alot of power so have to make sure ur PSU has enough power. I7 chips needs aftermarket heatsink then OEm heatsinks. What problem are u exactly having Sir? [/QUOTE] The first one of those boards I got was DOA, the second had a lot of issues and bluescreened on me consistently. It took me 2 days and about 10 OS installs (From Linux to Vista to Win7) before I finally had it up and running. After that some more random blue screens and random performance spikes. I finally relented and just bought a new motherboard because I was sick of it. I got a ASUS P6T-SE and its been perfect ever since. This was over a year ago now though. I have a Zalman CPU cooler, I love it and its very quiet. Keeps my i7 nice a chill.

Guest Senth
sorry for the late reply mobo: Asus Crosshair IV 890FX chipset Cpu: AMD hexacore 1055t 3.9 Ghz Memory: Gskill Trident dd3 1600htz GPU: 2x XFX 5870 XXX ZDNC Crossfire PSU: Antec 1000 Watt Quantro Storage: Kingston 64 gig SSD. 2X samsung f1 raid 0, 1x WD black 1TB Case: Antec 1200 Corsair H50 Water cooling. Push Pull setup with 2 Nactua 120mm Fans 5x 120MM fan 1x 200mm fan antec spotcool. the h50 setup was easy . very easy. I used the thermal compound that was already on the heatsink. According to the corsair website they use topnotch AS compound with fast curing time. I Would recomend anyone with game rig to get this cooling system. my average idle temp is around 34 load 43 I heard intel cpu will run hotter then mine but u will see good results. [IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs057.ash2/36229_408109829913_585834913_4231397_6650215_n.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs117.snc4/36229_408109819913_585834913_4231396_7336299_n.jpg[/IMG]

Guest Senth
[quote='LTJG.Xander=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=67358#post67358']The first one of those boards I got was DOA, the second had a lot of issues and bluescreened on me consistently. It took me 2 days and about 10 OS installs (From Linux to Vista to Win7) before I finally had it up and running. After that some more random blue screens and random performance spikes. I finally relented and just bought a new motherboard because I was sick of it. I got a ASUS P6T-SE and its been perfect ever since. This was over a year ago now though. I have a Zalman CPU cooler, I love it and its very quiet. Keeps my i7 nice a chill.[/QUOTE] Problem with nowaday mobo is that the NB and SB chipset are utilize very heavily and generates alot of heat. as you can see on my pic had to put that Antec spot cool for the NB chip cuz it was getting really hot without any fan blowing on it. and mobo manufacture are half assing on the heatsinks. So if u getting alot of BSOD or freezes ussually it the heat issue. i always wanted to do full water cooling system in my comp but i heard alot of nightmares about leaking. If there was Mini airconditioner for computers i would buy it in a heart beat.

Archived