GPU upgrade

Guest RET.Maj.Buckshot=US=

Ok guys, I am thinking of upgrading to 1440p before I make the leap to 4K. I can get a single GTX 980 Ti for $650 or buy a second (used) EVGA 780 Ti SC for ~$400 and SLI. I'm leaning toward upgrading to the 980 Ti because I could grab a second one later for SLI in 4K. However, adding a second 780 Ti would be cheaper and I could wait until the next generation of cards come out to possibly pick up a single card solution for 4K. What do you guys think? Also, would anybody be interested in buying my 780 Ti if I went to the 980 Ti?

the 980 ti is great. Its my card that i have. I can vouch for the EVGA 980 ti that you see in my signature. It will play any game in 1080p currently out on maximum at native with more that 90fps that ive tested. However. i have been told, and have noticed, that even the 980ti cannot handle 4k gaming, as you'll get less that 30fps. still a solid choice if youre sticking to 1080 and 1440p gaming for a while.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
the 980 ti is great. Its my card that i have. I can vouch for the EVGA 980 ti that you see in my signature. It will play any game in 1080p currently out on maximum at native with more that 90fps that ive tested. However. i have been told, and have noticed, that even the 980ti cannot handle 4k gaming, as you'll get less that 30fps. still a solid choice if youre sticking to 1080 and 1440p gaming for a while.

The Corporal's right. There doesn't seem to be a good single-card 4k gaming solution out there yet. At this point, 4k is mostly a marketing gimmick as the hardware isn't there yet. With Polaris and Pascal we might see viable 4k single-card solutions. As it stands right now, it's always better to have a single card than two in SLI. While SLI has come a long way in recent years, there are still games that have performance regressions from SLI or lack a profile entirely.

I believe Pascal and Polaris are slated for the second half of 2016, so if you could wait to upgrade to one of those, I'd do that. If not, I'd go with the 980Ti. It's a solid card and will definitely hold its own on 1440p gaming. 4k, though, is going to be a totally different beast. You might have to go with a multi-card solution if you want smooth 4k performance.

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
SLi or a Titan card is a must for 4k if you want decent frame-rates . But I wouldn't worry about 4k atm its not ready for show time (gaming). Really all its good for is design software and video editing(you get a larger canvas and ips is just so good looking). 1440P 144hz with a 980Ti should be good enough for now. My recommendation.

Guest RET.PFC.JD=US=
How soon do you want to updgrade? I would personally suggest waiting until summer and getting the HBM2 GPU's when they come out. I use 1440p right now with a 290x (MSI Lightning watercooled) and it works alright. A 780 TI should be about equivalent and can drive most games (R6S, FO4, BF4, DA:I, etc) at 60 fps and high settings. HBM2 should be a gamechanger, along with the significantly smaller GPU chips (moving from a 28nm process to a 14/16nm process with finfet likely) making the new GPU's for AMD and Nvidia likely 1.5-2x as powerful in the real world as Maxwell2. The issue is since this will be very different board layout and design you might run into poor driver support over the next couple of years, like 780TI's are experiencing now with new games (hence why 290x's have recently passed them again in apples to apples comparisions of most new games). I would suggest finding a 1440p monitor in the meantime (many choices including 144hz models, all around solid models, different screen types like AMVA and IPS/PLS, etc) and by the time you have that taken care of summer will be arriving with all the glorious HBM2 models from Nvidia/AMD.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna wait for Pascal. In the meantime, I'm gonna upgrade my cpu and mobo and make the switch to DDR4 and full SSD. I want to finish the 4K upgrade in time for BF5, so I want to invest in two high end Pascal cards in SLI in Q3 2016.

Guest PaulineIndex
You'll still need a powerful card, but you should look into 21:9 3440X1440 monitors rather than 4K. The extra width is a little annoying when viewing 16:9 content, but it doesn't bother me much. And not every game supports the format well, but most do or can be forced too and the extra width is very very nice, you can actually use your peripheral vision well with a 21:9 of sufficient size.

• 3 months later...
Guest Karval

The new 1080 is looking promising. Though I recommend waiting for the TI version.

980 ti runs the game perfectly. Zero lag even with the highest settings.

Guest L1ght
At this moment, the best value card will be the GTX 1070. It edges out slightly the performance of a 980ti for half the cost. we shall see what AMD puts up.

Guest MAJ.Kaossilator=US=
Read the hail of arguments between single 1080 and dual rx480's. It goes both ways, but right now I'm leaning towards performance in DX12 and Asynch Compute on hardware makes dual 480 a very very strong competitor against 1070 or 1080. $200 for the cheapest model for a single 480, so the math adds up that it's competitively priced to get 2 vs single Nvidia.

Guest L1ght

Lol the internet is like gushing at the 1080 for its performance being "a new revelation", but honestly, the 1080s performance increase over the 1070 isnt worth it.

The real breakthrough here IMHO was the 1070 having 980ti performance for 270$ [ 3rd party cards after the initial 3 month founders price]

Guest cepwin
Sir, I'd have to agree with RT.HumbleZ. The new 1080 is about the same cost as the 980 but with a much more powerful architecture. The only negative is it's so new it's hard to find....if you can wait, do so and get the 1080.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
My plan is to nurse my GTX 670s on until the GTX 1080Ti comes out. I'll do a new PC build on a 1080Ti, boot Linux and do GPU passthrough so I can use kernel-level virtualization and never run Windows on bare metal (besides the GPU).

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=
The only negative is it's so new it's hard to find....if you can wait, do so and get the 1080.

It may be hard to find in stores, but online you can already order it from pretty much everywhere.

I don't think I'd be able to use the 1080 in its full capacity for a while, so I'll much rather take a 1070 for 500€ (yup...) vs a 1080 for 800€.

Archived