PC Upgrade - Comments Welcome

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

I'm currently sitting on the original Core i7 920 which came out in 2009, along with a GTX 470 I got 3 or 4 years back. I'm not doing a full upgrade, but the main components are all getting replaced.

CPU: Core i5 4590 3.3 - ~$200

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 - $30

Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - $145

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GB - $60

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 4GB ACX 2.0 - $553

New Parts Total: $988

Parts to re-use:

Case : Cooler Master HAF

SSD: Corsair Force 120GB

HDDs: WD Green 2.5 TB, WD Green 2TB, Samsung 1TB

PSU: Cooler Master 600W

Things to note.

- My oldest HDD is the Samsung which I got at the same time as my Core i7 in 2009

- I have a second SSD that I bought for my HTPC which I no longer use since Chromecast rocks my media center socks. I could maybe RAID the two 120GB drives? Although they are different brands...

- The PSU was bought mid-2012. I have had 0 issues with it and I think it should be fine. But I'm also nervous because PSU lifespans are normally like 3-5 years.

Guest RET.LT.Padarom=US=

This is a pretty solid build in my opinion Sir.

I've been running with a Cooler Master 550W for ~5 years and haven't had any issues with it so far, so I don't think you need to replace it right away. Your graphics card is top notch if you want to go a bit higher than with a 970 (which I would've picked). If it's still in your budget, you might also want to consider an i5 4690K - It's $40 more expensive, but comes with a faster base clock and easy OC'ing, if you're into that kind of thing. I can't tell you how good your fan would be if you were to heavily OC the underlaying CPU though.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
I have no real plan to OC. I fiddled a bit a while ago, but in my opinion the marginal gains of 5-10% all the way to 30-50% aren't worth the faster demise of the hardware itself. I like longevity and stability over speed and power.

Guest MAJ.Spartan-S63=US=
Maj can you consider i7 vs i5. Is y ou consider new investment.

Unless he's doing a lot of multitasking, compiling code, or encoding video, an i7 will give him marginal gains at best. So it's likely the i7 isn't worth the extra money.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
Unless he's doing a lot of multitasking, compiling code, or encoding video, an i7 will give him marginal gains at best. So it's likely the i7 isn't worth the extra money.

That is the exact conversation I had with my buddy. Same with OC'ing the CPU, it's not worth it. It's why I'm forking enough for the 980, since that does most of the heavy lifting for games.

Guest slackin
Plus i would watch out for MSI and asrock they are both iffy motherboards I've had both and both only lasted 6 months I've had a gigabyte mb last me so far almost 4 years and still runs really good as it was top of the line then on top of that a gtx980 is a lot of power and really just isn't worth the money right now http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J0ISHMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1428768309&sr=8-3&keywords=750ti&dpPl=1&dpID=51Nck4ntJgL&ref=plSrch&pi=AC_SY200_QL40 is sufficient right now and won't break the bank as for motherboard I would either go with http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=13-132-125 or http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=13-128-707 but that's just my personal choice and all the money you save on the video card you can put towards more and better ram like http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=20-231-587 faster ram

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=

Thanks for the input, but I've already purchased and running on the parts originally posted. The 980 was the main focus of this upgrade and I went with the 980 for a large variety of reasons, longevity being one of them.

My last video card lasted me almost 5 years, I'm hoping this will do the same. After a few days the most noticeable thing is how quiet my PC is now (ACX 2.0 FTW!), and both my CPU and GPU are running at significantly lower power cost. RAM is easily upgradable but I won't really notice a significant difference in speeds.

With my new hardware in place I am now able to save up for a G-Sync monitor (and if I'm being selfish also an NVIDIA Shield Tablet).

Archived