Gaming Computer

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
USB 3.0 will take hold by 2011, since the first boards are starting to come out now. You can over clock the 920 pretty high. But honestly that processor is the same price as a Macbook Pro laptop. Its not worth it. You would be better off spending all that on a SSD raid array. Because that would at least be a noticeable difference.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmn ok cool i might run an 80 GB intel SSD's along side the velociraptor and use the SSD for windows 7

Get a 920. Buy a mugen 2 and overclock it to around 4GHZ. Easy to do, and then your cpu is as fast as a 975. The intel SSD is great. But you only got 80 GB storage space. Get yourself a Intel SSD+ Samsung F3 1tb hard disk. You'll be fine with that. SSD + velociraptor is bullsh*t tbh. As a motherboard, dont get the eclipse. Has problems with overclocking. Maybe you could get a gigabyte DS5, or the extreme edition. Great for overclocking. And if you want usb 3.0 you can just get a pci card ;). Nice screen btw, i love it :0.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
i wouldn't recommend a Gigabyte mobo, i've had 2/3 crap out on me within a year. Asus or Abit are better IMO. Running win7 on a SSD would be a HUGE speed increase as the HDD's are the current bottleneck of computer systems these days. If you can fork it up i'd try and get at least a 120GB SSD but if not 80 is still fine. Running a HDD for media/downloads/files/ect would be find as you dont need fast data transfers for those types of operations. As for the CPU Davey makes a good point the i7's can be OC'd a lot and as long as you get a nice 3rd party cooler u r fine. I use a Zalman because it works great and is very quiet. Avoid the stock coolers if you plan to over clock. I believe this is my model. [url]http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=161[/url]

Guest RET.Capt.MustangMan94=US=
Here is what I'm running just built if a few months back. Just priced it out and it's alot cheeper. By the way this MSI has been the easiest OC board I've owned. Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor, ~2.6GHz, cooled by Coolmaster V8 Memory: 6GB RAM Hard Drive: 2x 640GB Cavier Black Video Card: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4870's Monitor: Acer X213H Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Titanium X-FI Speakers/Headphones: Logitech G35 Keyboard: Logitech G15 Mouse: Logitech G9 Mouse Surface: Alienware Speed Pad Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339) Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 Computer Case: Antec 900 Controllers: NZXT Fan and Temp Control(be carefull with this all fan hook ups are 3 pin) Optical: Pioneer DVD-RW

Guest Big Mac150
[quote='Cpt.MustangMan94=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57421#post57421']Here is what I'm running just built if a few months back. Just priced it out and it's alot cheeper. By the way this MSI has been the easiest OC board I've owned. Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor, ~2.6GHz, cooled by Coolmaster V8 Memory: 6GB RAM Hard Drive: 2x 640GB Cavier Black Video Card: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series Monitor: Acer X213H Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Titanium X-FI Speakers/Headphones: Logitech G35 Keyboard: Logitech G15 Mouse: Logitech G9 Mouse Surface: Alienware Speed Pad Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339) Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70 Computer Case: Antec 900 Controllers: NZXT Fan and Temp Control(be carefull with this all fan hook ups are 3 pin) Optical: Pioneer DVD-RW[/QUOTE] How much did this cost ya? Because i might just send you the money to build me a computer haha.

Guest RET.Capt.MustangMan94=US=
Everything was right around 2200. That was about 6 months ago though so things should be cheaper by now.

Yeah thats why i was leaning towards the msi eclipse plus although its only available in 2 stores, theres only 3 motherboards in stock in total that i can find, and this is all over the world. It seems to be rather a rare motherboard but i don't understand why, it seems great.

Hmm, i am using the gigabyte motherboard for a while now. Havent had any problems so far. They are great in my opinion. I wont recommend the eclipse to anyone. I made a rig with a friend of me and it had the eclipse motherboard. ALOT of problems with it, send it back 2 times. And it stil did not work. Then we got the asus motherboard as a replacement. I love it its great for overclocking too (has alot of options.). Evga is new in the motherboard market. But they make great motherboards with alot of options. Its up to you wich one you pick :). And to Cpt.MustangMan94=US= Wich graphic card do you mean? The 4800 series has alot of diffrent graphic cards ;). Sorry for any spelling mistakes, english is not my native language. But im trying my best ;).

[quote='PVT.DaveyY=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57566#post57566'] Evga is new in the motherboard market. But they make great motherboards with alot of options. Its up to you wich one you pick :). .[/QUOTE] They make great mobo's but if u are running with air cooling the north- and south bridge coolers are really irritating (annoying oops), because most of the better coolers (scythe mugen, cm z6600, thermaltake) are really big and go over your north and south bridge coolers, Evga makes them really high, so that's a big minus for them. And for the sound card, the asus xonar is really expensive and Creative makes really good ones. If your only using it for gaming and normal music listening(not an expert in tones aso.) the creative x-fi xtreme gamer is a really good choice. The sound of the asus xonar is better but if your not an expert not worth the big amount of extra cash. The x-fi's are better for gaming because they support EAX, which games almost always use.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Big Mac150
I guess its my turn, again. I want a gaming computer. I will be comparing Alienware VS my iBuyPower build. (I am just copying what the print out says.) [B] ([U]*ALIENWARE*[/U])[/B] Alienware Aurora(NOT ALX) Starting Price: $1,199 After Customization: $2,068 [U]Processor:[/U] Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core [U]OS:[/U] Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit [U]Video Card:[/U] SINGLE 2GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon HD 5970 [I](As of Oct 9th, 2009, the ATI Radeon HD 5970 scores in excess of X10000 in 3DMark Vantage v.101, the highest single graphics card score achieved to date)[/I] [U]Memory:[/U] 6GB Triple Channel 1067MHz DDR3 [U]Hard Drive:[/U] 750GB SATA-II 7,200RPM (16GB Cache) [U]Sound Card:[/U] Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio [U]Network Card:[/U] Killer Xeno Pro ----- [B]([U]*iBuyPower*[/U])[/B] Starting Price: $769 After Customization: $1,552 [U]Processor:[/U] Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core (Overclocked by 10%) [U]OS:[/U] Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit [U]Video Card:[/U] SINGLE ATI Radeon HD 5750 (1GB) [U]Network Card:[/U] Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card [U]Sound Card:[/U] Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer [U]Memory:[/U] 6GB DDR3-1600 Triple Memory [U]Hard Drive:[/U] 750 GB Hard Drive -- 16MB Cache, 7200 RPM [U]Motherboard:[/U] ASUS P6T SE -- Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire Supported w/ 7.1 Sound, Triple Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, Triple PCI-E MB [U]Power Supply:[/U] 650 Watts [U]Case:[/U] Thermaltake V9 Gaming Tower Case-Blue ---- I just wanted to compaire my two builds. I will mostly buy the iBuyPower then the Alienware. I might change my mind of some of the specs here. What do you think?

Don't go for builds from certain companies they will rip you off(well not really but) decide what parts you want and many companies will build it for you without the limitations of a build. Network cards are not worth it and their a waste of money at the moment Go with windows 7 professional or something like that, its worth the money for stability and speed. Pack on at least 750W, its worth it because if in the future you want to upgrade that 5750 it will come in handy. Don't go for a 5750, go with something like a 295 or 285 from Nvidia their prices have dropped and they will last a year or 2 without seeing a noticeable performance drop. The 5750 is a bit outdated :D.

Guest Big Mac150
[quote='PVT.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57867#post57867']The 5750 is a bit outdated :D.[/QUOTE] How about the NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260??

Comeon, why a GTX 295? Why the GTX 285? Get a 5850, best bang for buck ever. And please dont get the alienware stuff, they just rip you off. Just get a costum built pc. Im thinking about this: i7 920 P6T motherboard (cheap, and great quality) 6GB ddr3 memory 620W cooler master power supply 5850 videocard. And a harddisk ofcourse ;). 500GB F3 samsung, or the 640 WD. Great pc, for a small price.

Guest RET.LTJG.Yong=US=
[quote='PVT.DaveyY=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57918#post57918']Comeon, why a GTX 295? Why the GTX 285? Get a 5850, best bang for buck ever. And please dont get the alienware stuff, they just rip you off. Just get a costum built pc. Im thinking about this: i7 920 P6T motherboard (cheap, and great quality) 6GB ddr3 memory 620W cooler master power supply 5850 videocard. And a harddisk ofcourse ;). 500GB F3 samsung, or the 640 WD. Great pc, for a small price.[/QUOTE] My friend got something just like it, its around $1500 US. I had to got a GTX285 because 5850 were all sold out.

Guest Big Mac150
[quote='PVT.DaveyY=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57918#post57918']Comeon, why a GTX 295? Why the GTX 285? Get a 5850, best bang for buck ever. And please dont get the alienware stuff, they just rip you off. Just get a costum built pc. Im thinking about this: i7 920 P6T motherboard (cheap, and great quality) 6GB ddr3 memory 620W cooler master power supply 5850 videocard. And a harddisk ofcourse ;). 500GB F3 samsung, or the 640 WD. Great pc, for a small price.[/QUOTE] That is almost to what i have. I wont get alienware ANYTHING. There headsets are made of cheap plastic and stiff foam padding. And the keyboard and mouse are useless if you don't own an Alienware. I'm thinking about buying there Optix HD Monitor though. How about the 5770 for a video card? It supports DirectX 11.

Archived