Gaming Computer

Guest RET.CW4.ThievingSix=US=

Hmnn seems i jumped the gun a little, i can't afford this until feburary :D and it seems that technology might change with Nvidia introducing some competition to the ati 5970. And USB 3.0 is coming. Plus i think alienware is coming out with something new for the Australia store as theres a counter on their main page. I will still be buying something along these lines though. Although i might buy a $800 pc in the meanwhile because the dimensions 9100 i have now is just terrible and i want to gain some experience building a computer before i go screwing around with expensive parts. What do you guys think about this? Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P = $110.42 AMD Athlon II X4 630 Retail (Socket AM3) = $148.00 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 = $131.67 MSI Radeon 4870 Video Card = $206.75 Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA = $69.96 DVD-RW/CD-RW: Samsung SH-S223F = $52.97 Antec NSK4480B-II = $135.00 TOTAL = $854.77(AUD) Excludes shipping Is 380 watt PSU enough for this buid? the ati website says 450 watt for the video card. See any problems with it?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But there seems to be no case with inbuilt 500w PSU im thinking of getting the ANTEC Three-hundred with a antec tp-650(650w) PSU [url]http://www.megabuy.com.au/antec-650w-antec-truepower-p89816.html[/url] [url]http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQ=[/url]

Guest RET.GEN.Darmine
[quote='PO1.Big Mac150=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57187#post57187']That sucks:( i would NEVER buy a Laptop from Alienware. I prefer PC over laptops. And it also depends what kind of environment the laptop is in. Did u ever slam the screen shut? did it fall?[/QUOTE] Nope i have never abused it. It was in Iraq, but that would not matter cause i never took it outside. It just started going out for no reason. Now i have a MacBook Pro and i love it.

[quote='SSG.K3V1N=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57198#post57198']Cycle why use a Dutch shop are you Dutch?[/QUOTE] yes i'm dutch. ot: but the point is to get the power supply apart from your case, most of the cases including a power supply have less quality power supplies, and they are not modular, as a power supply I would recommend the 520W cooler master real power pro. I have it in my chassis, and it's really nice.

Guest Big Mac150
[quote='BG.Darmine','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57199#post57199']Nope i have never abused it. It was in Iraq, but that would not matter cause i never took it outside. It just started going out for no reason. Now i have a MacBook Pro and i love it.[/QUOTE] Mac are only good for work :p

Guest RET.SSG.Spartan0189=US=
[quote='PO1.Big Mac150=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57211#post57211']Mac are only good for work :p[/QUOTE] Indeed, I used one at School, it was nice, But I much rather prefer my Windows :D Also, this topic that should be "Computer discussion megathread" Because it's all about, lol

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='PO1.Big Mac150=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57187#post57187']That sucks:( i would NEVER buy a Laptop from Alienware. I prefer PC over laptops. And it also depends what kind of environment the laptop is in. Did u ever slam the screen shut? did it fall?[/QUOTE] Say that when you get to college :) I don't trust any laptop maker besides Apple. Macbook Pros are the best laptop in the market right now, and has been for awhile. In 2008 the Macbook Pro was voted FASTEST PC LAPTOP by PC World magazine. Yea thats right, Apple could make a better Windows machine than everyone else. Plus with the switch to Nvidia GPUs the hardware difference is almost gone. All you have to do is install Windows on something like bootcamp. [QUOTE=PO1.Big Mac150=US=]The fact of the matter is, yes you can build a gaming computer ans save a couple of bucks. But it wouldn't be an Alien [/quote] Why is Alienware status so high in your mind? Back when it was its own 3rd party company and build awesome computers with the consumer still in mind. After Dell bought them they just kept the name. You are still buying a P.O.S. Dell computer with another logo on it. Dell computers are ****, and I feel like they have the shortest lifespan of any other computer. You aren't buying an Alien, dude you're getting a Dell.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='RT.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57197#post57197']But there seems to be no case with inbuilt 500w PSU im thinking of getting the ANTEC Three-hundred with a antec tp-650(650w) PSU [url]http://www.megabuy.com.au/antec-650w-antec-truepower-p89816.html[/url] [url]http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQ=[/url][/QUOTE] A big tip from someone who has build a handful of computers. Don't buy a case with a built in PSU. Nine times out of ten the PSU is some knock off generic and doesn't last much longer than a year. It would be much better to just buy a separate brand name PSU. Something like Zalmann, CoolerMaster, or Rosewill. And its not very hard to install one into a case. Its normally the 2nd thing you put in after the mobo, and you just slide it in and screw it in. Very simple.

Hmmnn i was thinking about that so i decided to go like this, see any problems with it? is it a sustainable build to have over 2 years? Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P - $110.42 AMD Athlon II X4 630- $149.00 Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 MHz- $131.67 Gigabyte Radeon 4870 Video Card - $206.75 Western Digital Caviar 320GB SATA - $69.96 DVD-RW/CD-RW: Sony- $38.48 Antec Nine-hundred- $161.76 Antec-TP-550- $139.90 Asus Monitor- $161.38 Windows 7 -$250.54 Sub-Total: $1,419.86 Shipping: $82.95 Total: $1,502.81

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
I had that Gigabyte board but with a Intel socket. The first one I got was DOA, the second kept blue screening in Windows 7. I got a Asus and it works perfectly. You might have better luck. Also 320 GB goes quick. I'd recommend 500GB minimum. But if u think 320 will be enough thats fine. And $250 for windows 7? Look for some deals bud, since i'm a college student I can get it for $30. But I luck out since i'm a Computer Engineer i get Windows 7 Business for free. lol

Unfortunately Australian windows 7 ultimate is around $350. $250 is a massive discount. And in Australia were not that lucky, most organisations still use win 2000 or XP. Due to the sheer lack of tech down south, the prices are ridiculously high and there appears to be no good reason for this. Newegg and any other decent tech store in US does not ship to Australia. And windows 7's academic offer dosen't apply to schools outside US. So SEND ME A FREE COPY!!!!!*SPAM* SPAM* SPAM* Only kidding :D But $250 is quite a bargain

But thats illegal :D, well to an extent. I'd rather not take chances with my OS, because if that fails im screwed. MegaBuy just ran out of Gigabyte 4870's so now i will have to get the Asus 4870, same price though but i can't really find a difference in them. It also seems the price of the total components has dropped by $1.79 over a 2 day period, thats a small win for one man :D

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
[quote='RT.ThievingSix=US=','http://clanunknownsoldiers.com/hq/thread/?postID=57277#post57277']MegaBuy just ran out of Gigabyte 4870's so now i will have to get the Asus 4870, same price though but i can't really find a difference in them. [/QUOTE] Asus > Gigabyte in my experience. Gigabyte products, though mostly soild, have been known to crap out on me very early, or have some sort of hardware problem. Asus is fantastic. I have never been disappointed with them. Don't get me wrong, a lot of places in the US still use XP and i want to burn them all to the ground. My last job working at the Dept. of Transportation we all got new towers that had Vista installed but they just formatted and installed XP over everything. I hate how even in my field which is pretty techy there are people who still can't handle changing OS's. I'm sorry the day or so you lose updating code/applications so they run on Vista/7 is worth the months of headaches XP gives you.

Guest RET.Capt.MustangMan94=US=
Check new egg for your OS you can get what they call is a home builders addition. I spent about 160 for Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Not sure how much it is with the conversion. The only difference between the regualar copy and homebuilders is the number of liscence you get. Homebuilder only has one!

Guest RET.Capt.MustangMan94=US=
Crap I forgot you should be able to get the homebuilders addition else where but I would have to look to check on that.

Windows 7 Ultimate Homebuilders or OEM is $250 one licence(cannot be reinstalled) Windows 7 Ultimate Retail is $350 one licence(can be reinstalled) And my budget just went up another $1000 so now i have a budget of around $3000. So i might change the mother board and cpu to an i5 or i7. NEW BUILD!! Intel Core i7-975 Extreme edition MSI Eclipse Plus DIAMOND Radeon HD 5970 OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-16000 Asus Xonar D2X Sound Card Intel 80GB Intel X25M G2 Corsair HX1000W 1000W PSU Does that build work?

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
that CPU is over kill. You'd be fine with a core i7 920 or 950. I wouldn't get an Intel SSD, Seagate, or Western Digital would be the better choice. Also having something like a "media" drive would probably be a good idea. Something like 320 of 500 GB internal HDD would be very useful. Make sure that the RAM is 3x2GB sticks because the mobo is triple channel and runs better when the RAM is in three's. Other than that, its a sick build that baby will fly.

MSI Eclipse Plus- $512.77 Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition- $1,357.15 OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 PC3-16000- $461.45 Dual XFX Radeon HD 5970- $2,226.40 Western Digital 300GB SATA Velociraptor- $317.35 Zalman Reserator XT- $592.90 Antec Twelve-Hundred- $266.20 Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Champion- $317.90 Antec Quattro 1000W- $307.40 Windows 7 Ultimate- $398.00 Dell UltraSharp 2410 24"- $799.00 Samsung SH-S223F- $88.25 Changed things around a little based on stock availability, Is there enough PCI or PCIe slots in this build? i changed out the PSU for a 1000w antec in the hope that it will fit in the antec 1200. I decided to drop SSD until it becomes a more sustainable solution, because at the moment its looking kind of breakable. I got water cooling for the i7 because i wan planning to over clock it sometime in the future. Australia seems to have little to no stock of tech parts, the mother board is coming in from the US lol.

Guest Ret.Maj.Xander=US=
CPU = extreme overkill, the price is not worth the performance. you are better off with a SSD and a core i7 920 or 950 like i said.

Will the processor be over kill in 5 yrs though? i dunno i'd rather pay for an item that lasts just that little longer rather than replace my cpu every 2 years because i'd have to replace my motherboard as well 950 is $729 975 is $1357 The computer im using now(dimensions 9100) has lasted me 5 years without issues but now it cant run most modern games. And i plan to use this over an extended period of time aswell, probably till 2014 or until USB 3.0 takes hold

Archived